Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line Cable

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Lots of posts on this, so it would probably be worth it to do some searching. However, I personally feel synthetic is the way to go for one main reason: safety. It will cost you a bit more, but I think it's worth it.

One additional benefit to synthetic is it can be re-braided on the trail if you manage to snap it.

Dean454

Winch cable

I just changed to synthetic today. So much easier to work with and much lighter. And as mentioned safer than cable

Green2012

Ok thanks . I figured there was another post on here about that but I didn't know where ... I have a synthetic ordered just hoping it was best decision..

toxicwaste29

I run synthetic on my quad because I use it then if its stored it doesn't get wet. On my jeep I'd probably keep steel so that the line doesn't rot and weaken. If rot wasn't an issue I'd easily run synthetic line

USMCvet

Banned
With regard to steel cable, it's all about the stored kinetic energy when pressure is applied to that cable in a winching application. Should that cable break, that energy is immediately dissipated and all that stored force is expelled. Even a heavy winch blanket only does so much to dampen the released force. That snapped cable can cut through trees, bone, metal, etc. I've gone to synthetic on all my rigs, ATV, UTV, etc. It's just not worth the risk.

UpsideUp

I have no experience with technical vehicle recovery and this is a "Just Curious" question but what is the failure rate of cable to synthetic in...say... hands that know what their doing? Lets say taking out rookie mistake with anchor points, poor hook placement, excess load, etc.
I was asking because it seems like there were a few examples brought up that say the line has snapped=stranded, but IF a cable goes it causes harm. Obviously a much worse scenario but how common?
Can cable problems be mitigated by regular maintenance and replacement which=not being stuck? Which to me sounds better and cheaper than replacing more expensive line every other year after you break and stay stuck.
I would think that as long as the cable is free of damage, fraying, rust, etc. And your anchors are good and safe it is still a good option?
Just asking as I don't know and this information is great to have before I might need it.

Rccrwlr

There is always a worry that steel line will fail but how many people have personally seen a steel cable fail?!

I thought you were wheeling?! So is that the same as having a frayed synthetic line?

Wheeling tomorrow. Pretty much. The big difference is with a synthetic there really isn't any "shock" when it snaps vs the energy that's kept in cable. Luckily when the one I saw break broke it wasn't out very much so nothing really happened.

The other thing I like about synthetic line is if it does break and you're like me and carry tack cord you can finger trap the line again and use tack cord to sew it up (basically what they do from factory) and still use it. That is if you have enough of it left lol.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Ive used both steel and synthetic. My old rig had a warn 9.5cti with steel cable, long story short, used the cable to steer my rig after my steering box broke and the cable snapped. Luckily it wasnt out but a foot or so, but it sprung back and smashed some of my grille, if it was out 10 feet, it could have hit somebody. This time around I have synthetic on an Engo winch. Will always use synthetic after my steel broke.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
There is always a worry that steel line will fail but how many people have personally seen a steel cable fail?!

I've seen steel cable break. Was something to see for sure. Nobody was hurt. Was on my Willys about 23 years ago. Was cleaning out beaver dams and it snapped. Growing up on a ranch in northern New Mexico my winch came in very handy.

I now run synthetic on my JK. It's lighter. My Willys has steel cable since I still use it for pulling out trees and stuff.

holliewood61

I switched to synthetic on my cj. With as much cable an 8274 holds it was a huge weight savings. It is safer, it can be repaired in the field if it does break. No puncture wounds if it frays. Much stronger than the same diameter cable, which means you could go with a smaller diameter synthetic line, hold more, and have just as much strenght as the larger diameter steel cable. The only real con I can think of with synthetic is it can get uv damage

SilverBack

Thank you everyone who gave me their insight!! I've gone with a Warn, Zeon 10s to be exact. Synthetic line for 4 main reasons.
1. The ability to repair the line.
2. The weight reduction (both on the front of my rig and the shipping to an APO).
3. The safety factor in case of a beak.
4. The coolness factor!

Thank you everyone who gave me their insight!! I've gone with a Warn, Zeon 10s to be exact. Synthetic line for 4 main reasons.
1. The ability to repair the line.
2. The weight reduction (both on the front of my rig and the shipping to an APO).
3. The safety factor in case of a beak.
4. The coolness factor!

Remember:

1. Does it look cool?
2. Did I take a photo of it looking cool?
3. Safety
4. Repeat step 2!

:cheesy: just kidding! Great choice you'll love that winch and line set up.

Top Bottom