ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Where exactly is the Uniroyal Gal in El Paso, TX? I lived here for a while and never seen her before! That's way to cool.

Way on the east side of town, just south of highway 180. It's on somebody's ranch but you can park next to it.

International Car Forest of the Last Church, Goldfield, NV.

Awesome shots! One of my favorite stops along the 95. I'll have to post some pics from there too :yup:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Not sure if these are considered "roadside America" ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423764815.761529.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423764851.673886.jpg in Virginia, I forget exactly where. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423764916.306663.jpg nicely restored off hwy 50 between Newton and Hutchinson Kansas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
International Car Forest of the Last Church
Here are a few more shots from the International Car Forest of the Last Church. Created by artists Mark Rippie and Chad Sorg, this is essentially a piece of the Nevada desert where you can find 40 cars, van and busses stuck nose first in the ground and standing tall in the air. Apparently, it's open to any and all artists to paint on and from what I understand, bands even come out here to play to audiences. Here are a few shots of us posing in the "automotive arboretum"...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here are a few other shots of the unique cars here...
main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this is more of a National Monument than anything but, Devils Tower in Wyoming is definitely a great Roadside America stop that I would recommend.

main.php

Vulcan, Alberta (Canada):

16510334491_6f38a3b335_z.jpg

16486060586_bb47b4961f_z.jpg

I would have liked to have pulled the Jeep right up beside here for photos, but suspect that would have been frowned upon by the townsfolk.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to imagine a time back when there were no Interstates and small ma and pa shops dotted the U.S. Highway systems but, sure enough, there are a few ruins here and there that still tell their tale. Here's a few shots from Santa Claus, AZ. Built back in 1937 and situated about 14 miles northwest of Kingman, AZ along U.S. Route 93, Santa Claus was created by real estate developer Nina Talbot as a way to attract buyers out to her surrounding subdivided land. By 1942, the Santa themed roadside attraction was a huge tourist trap. Interest in this great stop started to decline by the 1970's and it was finally shut down in 1995.

main.php

main.php

main.php

ljvsnyder

For those of you who've been following Cindy and I over the years, you know that we never trailer our Jeeps regardless how far we're going and a lot of that is because we love the journey just as much as the destination. In fact, one of the things we love to do most is get off the Interstate and make frequent stops along the way and check out the cool relics and ruins that litter the old U.S. Highways and byways. We especially love to find old Muffler Men, Uniroyal Gals, old gas stations, funky diners, ornate neon signs and abandoned buildings and when possible, take photos of our Jeeps next to them. Having said all that, this thread is intended to highlight some of the cool things we've seen as well as where they were found and if you've got any cool Roadside America pics, we'd love to see them as well!

To kick things off, here are a few shots from the world famous Route 66. In so many ways, the Mother Road embodies all that is classic Americana and what I felt would be the best way to start this thread. Enjoy. :cool:

A shot of VENGEANCE sitting next to the Gemini Giant at the Launching Pad Restaurant in Willmington, IL.
main.php

Awesome Route 66 mural in Pontiac, IL.
main.php

Being chased by pink merry-go-round horses the town of Chenoa, IL.
main.php

The worlds biggest covered wagon and Lincoln statue in Lincoln, IL.
main.php

The birthplace of the Corndog - The Cozy Drive In, in Springfiled, IL.
main.php

Awesome old gas station in Gascozark, MO.
main.php

Posing with Cars star Tow Mater in Galena, KS.
main.php

Beautifully restored Conoco Station in Shamrock, TX.
main.php

The Leaning Tower of Britten - Britten, TX.
main.php

Cadillac Ranch near Amarillo, TX.
main.php

main.php

Cool neon signs at the old Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, NM.
main.php

Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ.
main.php

We found it!! The Jackrabbit Trading post sign in Joseph City, AZ.
main.php

The iconic Roy's Motel & Café in Amboy, CA.
main.php

Now that you've seen a few of our Roadside America shots, how about you show us some of yours! :thumb:

NO photos are showing up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The last remaining Rainbow Bridge that you can drive on along historic Route 66. This is near Riverton, Kansas.

main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this one is a bit cheesy but, here's the worlds biggest wind chime located in Casey, IL.

main.php

Top Bottom