ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

JLSilerJK

full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark..and we're wearin sunglasses

Yeah, it was a mission from God kinda day. jolietroadsideamerica 012.jpg jolietroadsideamerica 014.jpg jolietroadsideamerica 011.jpg

Bluesmobile on a stick-joliet, IL Rt 66

OllllO Fanatic

The prettier of the two Carolina's in my opinion. Ton's of things to do and see here. I find it funny when someone who lives here says "there is nothing to do" They need to get out there front door. Waterfalls, Hiking, fishing, rafting, kayaking, zip lining, boating, trails for Jeeping, drinking...let us not forget about the breweries, wineries, and distilleries too!:yup:

Catahoula keep these posts up. I live here in NC, only been here for just over a year and would love to visit a few of these places. If your ever looking for another Jeeper to go places with let me know my wife and I will tag along if possible.

JLSilerJK

Sadly the world's first Dairy Queen is simply an address these days... A choco-peanut butter blizzard treat woulda made my day

Saw the White Fence Farm chicken thats as large as a mastodon jolietroadsideamerica 038.jpg

Oh and the lifesize Mastodon Statue in Aurora, IL.
jolietroadsideamerica 006.jpg jolietroadsideamerica 008.jpg

Trail JK

I found a roadside stop on my way home from getting my taxes done today.

These are the apple boulders in Perris, CA. Allegedly the original artist painted them in 1983 and he lived above the bluffs behind the rocks. Since then locals have done the re-touching. Near the apple boulders you can find a bison and a couple of other painted boulders.
Apple Boulders:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425159120.236475.jpg .
Bison Boulder:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425159138.384560.jpg .

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Catahoula keep these posts up. I live here in NC, only been here for just over a year and would love to visit a few of these places. If your ever looking for another Jeeper to go places with let me know my wife and I will tag along if possible.

Sounds good buddy!:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I found a roadside stop on my way home from getting my taxes done today.

These are the apple boulders in Perris, CA. Allegedly the original artist painted them in 1983 and he lived above the bluffs behind the rocks. Since then locals have done the re-touching. Near the apple boulders you can find a bison and a couple of other painted boulders.
Apple Boulders:
View attachment 127695 .
Bison Boulder:
View attachment 127696 .

Awesome shots!!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Just installed the app and wondering if I have to look stuff up to find it or will it pop up will driving?

Trail JK

Wigwam Village motel along Route 66 in Rialto, CA. The wild west teepee inspired grounds originally opened in 1950. According to the app you can find wigwam motels in Arizona & Kentucky also.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425756144.934370.jpg .

Last edited:

Trail JK

In 1962 a fiberglass company out of Venice CA began creating large Paul Bunyan figures known as the Muffler Man. Over the next 10 years over 400 of the fiberglass giants were sold to businesses for advertising. Now fewer than 200 remain. Here is one located in the front yard of someone's home in Mentone CA. This man's collocation is large with all types of relics displayed including a Statue of Liberty head and this Muffler Man.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425776848.114995.jpg .

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The Cape Henry Lighthouse stands near the "First Landing" site of the Jamestown settlers, and was authorized by George Washington and overseen by Alexander Hamilton. Completed in 1792, the construction of the Cape Henry Lighthouse was one of the first acts of the newly formed Federal government. The lighthouse was active use for nearly a century before being replaced by a new cast iron lighthouse still standing nearby. It is one of the oldest surviving lighthouses in the United States.

DSC005041_zpsb1zjfxr5.jpg

DSC005031_zpstdm88hoz.jpg

Top Bottom