Need Opinions

Used or New?

• Buy the Used 35's

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wait and Get New 35's or 37's Later

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
Hey Guys,

I could use some opinions here. I've got about 30,000 miles on my stock 32" BFG's and with the chunking from rocks, they're starting to get pretty loud. I've been anxious to move to 35's or 37's, but also dreading the huge price tag that comes with buying 5 of those tires. Found these for sale locally and am thinking about picking them up, but I'm not positive about buying used tires.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/4878112989.html

I figure on one hand, it would save me about $100 per tire and if they really have about 75% life left, that may not be a bad deal. It may also give me opportunity to feel out whether or not I'll be satisfied with 35's and/or give me more time to build out a budget to get what's needed to support 37's.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

ClarksAdventures

I'm getting ready to put those on my jeep this week. I paid about 300/tire. Couldn't hurt to go look at them and see the real condition.

I bet you could talk him down a good bit.

07JKSahara

Yeah. Go look, if their trashed tell him $500. If not, I paid far more for my brand new Nittos, but safety was a consideration with my daughter. I would never put a price on that. New was worth it for me. Remember your probably going to be driving 80 with these things, keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Hmm. Yeah, good points.

Also,

Anyone else find this strange. Looks like he has 0 posts and I get a PM for a site that I've never heard of:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424141398.508957.jpg

Spartan

Hey Guys,

I could use some opinions here. I've got about 30,000 miles on my stock 32" BFG's and with the chunking from rocks, they're starting to get pretty loud. I've been anxious to move to 35's or 37's, but also dreading the huge price tag that comes with buying 5 of those tires. Found these for sale locally and am thinking about picking them up, but I'm not positive about buying used tires.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/4878112989.html

I figure on one hand, it would save me about $100 per tire and if they really have about 75% life left, that may not be a bad deal. It may also give me opportunity to feel out whether or not I'll be satisfied with 35's and/or give me more time to build out a budget to get what's needed to support 37's.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

This post seams to be gone now.

jeeeep

Hooked
Still showing for me when I click the link. I can copy the post here if needed.

I always prefer to get this expensive a tire from Discount because of the replacement certificates, can't say how many times it has saved my bacon when I need to get a tire replaced.

only 4 tires being offered. depending on the wear, there is a % in in wear difference before you cannot use a new tire as a spare because it can cause possible damage to your differential.

if you can get the price down more it may be worth it, that way if you end up damaging it where it cannot be repaired you can buy 2 new ones and keep and old one for a spare....

Stevepoz

The PM seems odd and out of place, but the company has 22k likes so it at least appears legit.

Good price on tires, just echoing what the others say about the benefits of buying new and doing a 5 tire rotation issues.

Minor threadjack - I see you are from StL - ever do any of the Midwestjeepthing events?

The PM seems odd and out of place, but the company has 22k likes so it at least appears legit.

Good price on tires, just echoing what the others say about the benefits of buying new and doing a 5 tire rotation issues.

Minor threadjack - I see you are from StL - ever do any of the Midwestjeepthing events?

Yeah, I do a five tire rotation now and it would kill me to buy a new tire for a spare and have it just sit there and rot.

You know... I've wheeled with that group a couple of times, but have never made a meeting or anything. We just happened to end up at Washita at the same time. I should probably attend more events, but it's really hard with having young kids and all.

Stevepoz

Yeah, I do a five tire rotation now and it would kill me to buy a new tire for a spare and have it just sit there and rot.

You know... I've wheeled with that group a couple of times, but have never made a meeting or anything. We just happened to end up at Washita at the same time. I should probably attend more events, but it's really hard with having young kids and all.

I hardly make any meetings btw kids and work too. They have some events in March btw at Sayersbrook

I'm still so on the fence about this. He says in the post that they have less than 7,500 miles on them. I'm curious if I'd be able to rotate in a new tire if I buy one for the spare, or if it's too late at this point.

el_chupo_

I dont think that is too much to rotate in - especially if there is no cupping or odd wear. While it is recommended for tire rotations earlier on bigger tires, realistically ever 2 oil changes (6-8k miles) is a pretty normal tire rotation interval.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider it - you save a good chunk of change, you get into the tires for a pretty good price (offer $800, since he has been trying to sell for 2 weeks), and then you can sell them in 10-15K and still get $500 or so back on them if you want to go bigger. Lets you run 35s and decide if you want to upgrade too.

Tires dont magically go bad when they have 7.5k miles on them, so if they were not abused with chunks missing, and have no plugs/repairs, they should be fine.

Your biggest "issue" is repairs if there is a problem. But you are saving enough to buy a new one and still be OK, or worst case buy 2, and you are still not quite spending what a new set of 4 costs, so I would keep that in mind.

aermotor

If you can get those 35s for cheap enough I think thats a good way to go. I'm looking at the same for 37s right now. Found a used set of 5 for $1000 with 70% tread that I'm really thinking about.

Top Bottom