My DIY Doors

JChamblee

Great job man! I've considered doing some tube doors myself and after reading this I may just do it once the fall gets here (or late summer as it feels like on the Texas coast). Really great write up with pics of what to do and not to do, I like how you even told us what not to do in hindsight

USMC Wrangler

Nice work - they look great!:clap2:

Great job on the door and the write up. 👍🏼

This made me want to sign up for a local welding class lol they came out great! :rock:

I just read this whole thread and thought the exact same thing. Local welding class!

These doors came out awesome! :thumb:

Great job man! I've considered doing some tube doors myself and after reading this I may just do it once the fall gets here (or late summer as it feels like on the Texas coast). Really great write up with pics of what to do and not to do, I like how you even told us what not to do in hindsight

Thanks everyone! I put a lot of thought and time in making these and trying to have a write-up that made sense. My material costs were low, but my equipment costs were high. Of course the equipment should last a very, very long time assisting me with future projects. My plan is to have some sort of metal fab/repair jobs in the future since I'm eligible to retire in a few more years at a relatively young age.

If you love fab work, either have or can get access to the equipment, I say go for it! I'm itching for a new project already!

I can't wait for fall to run these a lot more. The west Texas summer has daytime temps around 110 degrees nearby. I do sincerely appreciate the compliments. I'm just a Jeep/metal working newb that wants my projects to be functional and last.

tharb5111

Awesome doors. Great work and great write up! Are they still rattle free or do you have to adjust them every so often? Again fantastic!!

USMC Wrangler

With the heat down here, I haven't gotten to run them more than two days. Rattle free so far. I'll be packing all of our camping gear in my cargo trailer for the Hidden Falls run. I will bring these along and swap doors Saturday morning. So, I'm guessing they will get a little bit of a workout then!

Charleskent29

Doors look great

You did a great job on the doors. I'm looking at doing the same thing but I was wondering if by chance you have the angles of your bends written down anywhere ? I'm in the navy and I work on an island so I'm trying to get everything done do I can complete them in a week on my island!

USMC Wrangler

You did a great job on the doors. I'm looking at doing the same thing but I was wondering if by chance you have the angles of your bends written down anywhere ? I'm in the navy and I work on an island so I'm trying to get everything done do I can complete them in a week on my island!

Thanks and thanks for your service!

No, I do not have angles written down. I removed all four doors, taped construction paper to the openings, traced and cut out. I also used my hard doors to help make the templates. Then as I bent I did a lot of test fitting. I was working with a simple, inexpensive harbor freight pipe bender. Not the most efficient, but it did the job.

holliewood61

Those doors turned out great. I can appreciate your ambition. A lot of people would shy away from something like this, just because it can be intimidating.

How is the rustoleum holding up? I never had much luck with it. I found that the duplicolor bed liner in the blue can is a much more durable product. The duplicolor bed armor in the black can isnt worth the can they put it in.

USMC Wrangler

Those doors turned out great. I can appreciate your ambition. A lot of people would shy away from something like this, just because it can be intimidating.

How is the rustoleum holding up? I never had much luck with it. I found that the duplicolor bed liner in the blue can is a much more durable product. The duplicolor bed armor in the black can isnt worth the can they put it in.

Thanks! The bed liner has done ok. I have some chips in them from road/trail debris, but otherwise it's met my expectations.

USMC Wrangler

Nice looking doors.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! I've been meaning to post an update to this, so thanks for the reminder!

I have used the doors 5-6 times in the past year or so. I've only had to adjust one hinge once to eliminate a rattle. I really have no complaints except I don't use them enough!!!

IMG_1476291589.404486.jpg

IMG_1476291610.987568.jpg

IMG_1476291622.156060.jpg

https://youtu.be/RggHRjcTfmk

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Top Bottom