My DIY Doors

USMC Wrangler

Today I finished up the welds that were tacked which were all four pieces of plate for the latches. Of course the flux core wire splatter required grinding and I ground out the welds on all four top bars for a nice smooth finish. I have one 60 grit flap wheel for the angle grinder, but it died fast. I have a pack of ten 40 grit flaps and ten 60 grit flaps on the way via Amazon Prime. They will be here before I get to work on these again next Wednesday. I hope to have primer and maybe some paint pics next week! 👍

USMC Wrangler

Paracord ordered for the limiting straps. Someone recommended chains, but I hate rattle noises as it is and I imagine hearing those on and off road. It's a pet peeve of mine, but maybe I'm wrong. You know, like an empty soda can in the cup holder with loose change underneath. Drives me nuts!! :mad::eek: Anyway, the paracord straps will continue the theme I already have going with my grab handles, plus it's fun to put together with my oldest daughter. :yup:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Look forward to seeing them!!

Paracord ordered for the limiting straps. Someone recommended chains, but I hate rattle noises as it is and I imagine hearing those on and off road. It's a pet peeve of mine, but maybe I'm wrong. You know, like an empty soda can in the cup holder with loose change underneath. Drives me nuts!! :mad::eek: Anyway, the paracord straps will continue the theme I already have going with my grab handles, plus it's fun to put together with my oldest daughter. :yup:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Most weld splatter can be knocked off with a welding hammer. Might same you some effort.

Looking forward to the final product.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Sometimes they stick worse. Or maybe my steel isn't clean. I usually just clean in the areas I'm welding, and not much else.

el_chupo_

What did you end up doing for the slight movement with the latch?

How hard was getting the tubes bent for a good fit?

I have a Miller 211 on the way that should be at my door when I get home tonight. I havent done so much as tack something in almost 15 years, back in high school. I need something to practice on, then I may try to tackle something like this.

Great job!

USMC Wrangler

What did you end up doing for the slight movement with the latch?

So far, nothing but adjusting where the latch sat in the door. Basically loosening and slightly moving the latch forward in the mounting hole. It's not as bad now, but haven't done a test drive yet. It was just that one door since everything is "custom". :cheesy:

How hard was getting the tubes bent for a good fit?

Using the HF bender, it wasn't bad. Very time consuming, going very slow so not to over bend.

I have a Miller 211 on the way that should be at my door when I get home tonight. I havent done so much as tack something in almost 15 years, back in high school. I need something to practice on, then I may try to tackle something like this.

Cool! It's really a stress relief for me to bend, cut, grind and melt metal!

Great job!

:thumb: Thanks!

TeamFaust

Just came across this thread and love it!! One more project to add to the list :thumb:
Great job, they look fantastic, well done. Will be watching to see when finished.

USMC Wrangler

Just came across this thread and love it!! One more project to add to the list :thumb:
Great job, they look fantastic, well done. Will be watching to see when finished.

Thanks! Almost done!

My high tech paint booth is also known as...the swing set!

Semi-live updates continue...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432146555.081680.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432146579.376247.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432146600.483410.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Made it to the garage with all four before the storm hit. We had a tornado about 200 miles north of us last night...

Anyway, three coats (four cans) of self etching primer and three coats (six cans) of bedliner done. They are hanging in the garage to dry. I won't have time to get them on the Jeep until 5/29 or 5/30. Pics to follow then...

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Thanks!

I had one of six cans feel like it still had quite a bit left, but was not spraying any black material. That was one complaint I read in reviews. Other than that, I'm very happy with the finish at this point. Time will tell if it holds up.

USMC Wrangler

So...the thunderstorms are preventing me from swapping the doors today. Other than adjusting the latches, they are ready for the road/trail!

A couple of things I would have done differently...

1) Build the rear doors first.

I was going for a specific line with the top bar. If you have followed this from the start, I lost almost 8 hours fixing that. The center horizontal bars were intended to line up as well between each front and rear door. They are slightly off so I left it to remind me this was my first major project.

2) Have someone help with setting the hinges.

I do wish the front of the door sat more inside the door frame. This would have changed my measurements, particularly on both rear doors, but if I would have been more patient and got help it would've worked out. Again, a design item that is slightly off that I can live with.

3) Don't waste money on pre-made limiting straps.

The closest hardware store is 120 miles one way. In hindsight I am sure I could've found a bolt on loop to attach to the door, and finish with the para cord. I went with a double core of actual 550 cord. Even if they end up needing replaced from time to time, it's a quick fix for me.

4) More patience

Speaks for itself for me...

The doors are itching to be on the Jeep. I actually have four days off next week, so one of those days will hopefully be without storms. Here are a few pics for now...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433005510.248045.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433005528.940466.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433005552.528944.jpg

Top Bottom