NEW MEATS for MOBY : 40x13.50 Toyo Open Country M/T's & ATX Chamber Pro II's

CRZRTX

wayoflife said:
We put on a lot of miles on our Jeeps and I mean A LOT driving out to the trails, wheeling them and then driving back again. We could NEVER get them balanced right and when you're cruising down the highway at 75 MPH plus for hours on end, it can really suck. Again, ON THE ROCKS, the kind of sharp nasty ones that we have in the desert, the MTR's SUCK. When aired down, they were rubbery and behaved unpredictably COMPARED TO something like a Toyo or Nitto and when it comes to sidewall strength, there's just no comparison. The MTR's are paper thin and I have seen them tear right open again and again. Can't say how they would do in the mud as I try to avoid the stuff and of course, this is just my opinion based on my limited experience.

The new wheels and tires look great!

I agree with you Eddie. I have run MTRs for 3 years now and have sliced up 6 sidewalls. Thank goodness for Discount Tire's warranty. I am switching over to Nitto Trail Grappler MT this month, going from 35 to 37. I am toying with the idea of going straight to 40s (although with your post it looks like I may need to find some Toyos) when I get my Dana 60s in. Other than weight, clearance, and fuel consumption, any other downside to 40s? Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The new wheels and tires look great!

I agree with you Eddie. I have run MTRs for 3 years now and have sliced up 6 sidewalls. Thank goodness for Discount Tire's warranty. I am switching over to Nitto Trail Grappler MT this month, going from 35 to 37. I am toying with the idea of going straight to 40s (although with your post it looks like I may need to find some Toyos) when I get my Dana 60s in. Other than weight, clearance, and fuel consumption, any other downside to 40s? Thanks.

Actually, there is a slight downside with the 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers and that's tread life. The soft sticky rubber compound Nitto uses make them outstanding on the rocks but we've only managed to get about 30,000 miles out of ours before we really wanted to replace them. I should note that our 37's on Rubicat are lasting a lot longer. If you're okay with that and don't need them in a hurry, they are a great tire choice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Actually, there is a slight downside with the 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers and that's tread life. The soft sticky rubber compound Nitto uses make them outstanding on the rocks but we've only managed to get about 30,000 miles out of ours before we really wanted to replace them. I should note that our 37's on Rubicat are lasting a lot longer. If you're okay with that and don't need them in a hurry, they are a great tire choice.

Is that because your 40's were the K spec compound?

tsweet

I am anxious to see how you like the toyos, I too just ordered them in the 40. going from 37" pit bulls to those, along with an entire new build.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh wow! I knew the k spec was softer but not that soft!

yeah, any sticky is gonna wear out fast.

I am anxious to see how you like the toyos, I too just ordered them in the 40. going from 37" pit bulls to those, along with an entire new build.

Me too. I just need to be home long enough to work on them. I should have more time starting next week and I'm determined to get them installed :yup:

tsweet

yeah, any sticky is gonna wear out fast.

Me too. I just need to be home long enough to work on them. I should have more time starting next week and I'm determined to get them installed :yup:

the local tire shop that claims they can get them here in two weeks better hold true, because I am working up the stamina in my forearms for the install. Not looking forward to doing that but I will have a lot of time to get it done.

topheracer21

Hey I just ordered the same setup for my jk yesterday. I was wondering about the offset. I've got a g2 core 44 front and teraflex crd 60 rear axles. They are the stock width I do believe. Are your axles wider and do you think I'd run into clearance issues?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey I just ordered the same setup for my jk yesterday. I was wondering about the offset. I've got a g2 core 44 front and teraflex crd 60 rear axles. They are the stock width I do believe. Are your axles wider and do you think I'd run into clearance issues?

Ummm, yeah, you're most likely going to have rubbing issues unless you run wheel spacers. We are running full width axles.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

They'll probably rub. Wheel spacers are probably needed. If you adjust your steer stops you might not be able to turn very tight. Or you could just drive straight all the time. Welcome to the forum also.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You might want to return the tires and save for better axles. Those will not last if you wheel your rig.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Junk yard axles are the best!! I personally am building a HP44 that I picked up for 120 bucks. RCVs, truss, spool, 5.13s, and hubs for a fraction of the price of a G2 or a dynatrac

If you can do all the work yourself, yeah, a junkyard axle is definitely a good option to consider. That being said, I don't know if I'd bother just for an HP44. Of course, that's just me.

longarmwj

If you can do all the work yourself, yeah, a junkyard axle is definitely a good option to consider. That being said, I don't know if I'd bother just for an HP44. Of course, that's just me.

I'll only be on 35s so a HP44 will be plenty strong for my needs. If I were to be running anything above a 37 I would have chosen a 60, but the biggest I'll ever run is 37s. The dynatrac is a great axle though, no doubt

CanadianJK72

I aggree with that 100%! im currently building 60's for the front an rear , if your going to do the work for a 44 why not go bigger to a 60

mackey

Anyone have experience with these tires in the snow / ice? Curious if these or Niito Trail Grapplers would do better?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have experience with these tires in the snow / ice? Curious if these or Niito Trail Grapplers would do better?

Me. And what I can tell you is that they're both mud terrains and both behave about as well as you can expect from a mud terrain with big lugs on snow and ice. If it's not something you're comfortable with, I might recommend something more in an all terrain tread or having your middle lugs siped.

Top Bottom