Having a hard time finding wheels

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm having a hard time finding wheels with a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern that have a little more backspacing than usual. Right now I have wheels with 4 1/2" backspacing, and my Jeep is exactly 1" too wide to fit between the fenders of my trailer. Instead of buying a new trailer, or having drive-over fenders installed, it might be easier to change to wheels with a little more backspacing. I have plenty of tire and wheel clearance to go a little narrower.

Anyone know of 17" wheels with the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern and a 4 1/4" center bore that have between 5" and 5 3/4" of backspacing? What is out there?

Thanks.

3TV

If you go with that much backspace won't it limit your steering quite a bit? I think I'd remove the trailer fenders load up then put the fenders back on...

SFNick

I checked clearances before considering changing wheels, and I have enough clearance to run wheels with up to 5 3/4" of backspacing, and the limiting factor there is clearance between the wheel and the tie rod end, not the tire and the frame, or control arms. The frame is narrower at the front, and then widens out right about where the front of the body is at. I'm running 37s, and at full steering lock, they are still in front of where the frame widens out. 40s would present a problem, because they would rub where the frame is wider. With my axle width I would have the same overall width using wheels with 6" of backspacing as a Jeep with stock axles and wheels with 4 1/2" of backspacing. Or, stated differently, if I can find wheels with 5" backspacing, which would be ideal, it would be the same as a stock axle Jeep running wheels with 3 1/2" of backspacing, which is plenty of room for 37s.

That's interesting. With 37s, stock rims, 1.5 spacers, & 3.5 lift. I was having rubbing issues on my lower control arms. I can't imagine what all I would rub with 5" of backspacing, front sway bar, frame rail and/or lower control arms, while making a full turn. I guess if you adjusted your steering stops you could avoid this maybe. ;(

Top Bottom