2015 WAYALIFE Presidents Day Weekend Lone Pine Run

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Although this trip had been on the official WAYALIFE Run Schedule since the beginning of the year, getting it to happen took a lot more effort than I would have preferred and for that matter, it almost didn't happen at all. Coming off the heels of King of the Hammers, we still had 3 Jeeps that were down and for a while, I just didn't think we'd be able to get one fixed in time. But, as luck would have it, our good friend Tony sent me a message on the Thursday before and asked if it was safe to assume the trip was cancelled. This of course was the kick I had been needing to just figure things out and make it happen and, that's exactly what I did. The crazy thing is, even with the run being announced just a little more than a day before the trip, we still managed to get a total of 9 Jeeps to come out.

For our purposes, the 2015 WAYALIFE Presidents Day Weekend run would be one that explored the Inyo Mountains just east of the town of Lone Pine. Using the Dow Villa Hotel as our base camp, we spent the first part of our Saturday up in the hills digging for the fossil remains of Ammonites, extinct marine invertebrates that lived in an ancient sea over 235 million years ago. From there, we descended into the depths of the earth as we drove a 1/4 mile into the Reward Mine and then finished the day with a visit to the old WWII Manzanar Japanese Interment Camp. On Sunday, we climbed our way up and over 9,000 feet to explore the old Swansea Salt Tram ruins before heading out to another fossil bed to dig for ancient shark teeth.

Below are some photo highlights from our trip and I hope you enjoy them. :cool:

Moby loaded up and ready to go at the crack of dawn.
main.php

Meeting up with Mike and his family before starting our trek down to Lone Pine.
main.php

There was a killer sunrise for us that morning.
main.php

main.php

Time to head out into the fiery glow.
main.php

The Sierra Nevada Mountains looking as picture perfect as ever.
main.php

Making a quick stop to get out and stretch along the way.
main.php

Meeting up with the gang down at the Lone Pine Visitor Center.
main.php

main.php

Of course, it was good to have Ken join us for this run and in his brand new and bone stock Amped colored Rubicon. For those of you who don't know, Ken had been out of commission for quite some time due to a wreck he was involved in almost a year ago.
main.php

After doing some light wheeling up into the hills, we arrived at our first destination of the day.
main.php

main.php

Time to start digging!
main.php

Taking a break to admire our Jeeps from the fossil beds.
main.php

And to take in the awesome views across the Owens Valley and Sierra Nevada Mountains beyond.
main.php

After a lot of hard work, here are some of the specimens we found.
main.php

These two are probably the best examples of Ammonite fossils we found.
main.php

With everyone exhausted from digging, we decided to head out to our next destination of the day.
main.php

main.php

Here at last and ready to plunge into the depths of the earth!
main.php

main.php

main.php

Here we go!
main.php

And here we are - 1/4 miles down into the depths of the earth!
main.php

main.php

Time to do some more exploring on foot.
main.php

Amazingly, there's plenty of room down here to get all our Jeeps turned around. Granted, it does take a little dancing around each other but otherwise, it's no problem to do.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Before calling it a day, we decided to make a final stop over at the old WWII Japanese Interment Camp known as Manzanar. Meaning "apple orchard" in Spanish, this otherwise picturesque location at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains was one of ten camp where over 110,000 Japanese Americans were tragically incarcerated during the war. Unfortunately, we arrived a bit too late in the day and could only do the auto tour. Here we are parked in front of a restored barrack.
main.php

Paying our respects at the old cemetery.
main.php

main.php

Looking to the east, you can see how much the Sierra's shadow out you daylight.
main.php

Back at our basecamp, it was time for some Honey!
main.php

To all our friends old and new - CHEERS!!
main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rise and shine! It's time to head out and do some more exploring!!
main.php

Leaving the eastern shores of the Owens Dry Lake near the town of Keeler to head up into the Inyo Mountains.
main.php

Slowly climbing our way up to the top.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The higher we go, the prettier the views.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Arrived at our first destination of the day - The old Burgress Mine.
main.php

main.php

Looking out toward the west and the to the Sierra's beyond.
main.php

View looking down into the Saline Valley.
main.php

Pushing on toward the south along the ridge top.
main.php

Getting closer to our main destination of the day.
main.php

And here we are - the Swansea Salt Tram! It's hard to imagine there was a time as recent as the early 20th century that salt was still a valuable commodity worth mining and to the point where a complex tram system would be built to transport it over 13 miles up and over the Inyo Mountains. Completed in 1913, this aerial tram would carry over 800 lbs. of high grade salt from the salt beds down in the Saline Valley at a rate of 20 tons per hour up and up until the early 1930's.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

On the move again and heading further to the south.
main.php

Simply nuts! The only real snow we find all day just happens to be right on the trail and it was deep enough to give Ken in his stock JK some trouble.
main.php

main.php

Rachel and Ray lending a hand.
main.php

And we were back on the move again.
main.php

Although we stopped to do some more digging along the ridge, none of us found what we were really trying to find and that was shark teeth. What a few of us did manage to find were these odd oval shaped stones that were smooth and quite heavy compared to the surrounding flat shale they came out of. I just started looking into this and think they maybe the inner castings of clams or similar mollusks. I also found the spiral shaped specimen which I can only assume was from some kind of snail.
main.php

On our way out creeping along a narrow shelf road.
main.php

main.php

Taking a moment to reflect on all the fun we had at Dirty Socks Hot Springs.
main.php

Airing up under the beautiful glow of another gorgeous sunset.
main.php

main.php

To a great weekend with great friends - CHEERS!!
main.php

A BIG Thanks goes out to everyone who joined us on this very last minute trip! We really appreciated your company and look forward to doing another run just like it soon. For those of you who weren't able to join us, you can see more pics from our trip simply by clicking on the following link.

2015 WAYALIFE Presidents Day Weekend Run Member Photos

MTG

Caught the Bug
We had a great time! Wish we could have joined you for the second day. :grayno:

Already looking forward to next time. :thumb:

We took a short trip out to Alabama Hills on the way home. What a cool place!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424281640.550226.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looks like it was a great time! Can't wait to join you guys on a trip!

Love the pic of the Dirty Socks Hot Spring Cindy!!! I think I have a new desktop background :brows:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Great photos as always! I really hope I can make one of your trips. They always look like a great time.

TheStick

I have to join one of these desert runs one of these days. An area of the state I have not done, and looks so cool. That reflection pic is kick ass :thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks for sharing! These are the best trips, nothing like loading up in the ol jeep and exploring with friends and family!

zanderman111

Looks like an awesome trip!

I can't remember what they're called, but try cracking open one of those round rocks you found. If they're what I think they are, there will be some purplish quartz crystals inside. They're really neat. I found several just like them once. I think they're called Amethyst crystals or something like that

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We had a great time! Wish we could have joined you for the second day. :grayno:

Already looking forward to next time. :thumb:

We took a short trip out to Alabama Hills on the way home. What a cool place!

View attachment 125487

It was a shame you couldn't join us on our second day but at least you got a chance to head up into the Alabama Hills. :yup:

Looked like a fun time.

Missed you on this one but I'm sure you're crazy busy with packing right now.

Wayalife, for some reason your photos are not showing on my computer. Anyone else having this issue?

Try clearing your cache and cookies. That usually clears up any issues I have

What he said ^^^

main.php

Looks like an amazing trip...except you all sharing that one hotel room:idontknow:

:eek: :cheesy:

Looks like it was a great time! Can't wait to join you guys on a trip!

Love the pic of the Dirty Socks Hot Spring Cindy!!! I think I have a new desktop background :brows:

Looking forward to the day when you can join us. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great photos as always! I really hope I can make one of your trips. They always look like a great time.

That would be awesome if you could. :yup:

:cheesy: Awesome photobomb by Steph! :clap2:

I have to join one of these desert runs one of these days. An area of the state I have not done, and looks so cool. That reflection pic is kick ass :thumb:

If you can make it out, you really should. I think you would have a good time :yup:

This was such a great trip! Thanks so much for putting it together!

So glad you and Ray were able to join us :cool:

Looks like a fun trip! Bummed I missed out.

Bummed you couldn't make it. Hope you can still make the newbie run.

That looks like an awesome trip! Lots of history for sure. 

Tons of history back there for sure :yup:

Thanks for sharing! These are the best trips, nothing like loading up in the ol jeep and exploring with friends and family!

You bet! Trips like these are the BEST for sure:yup:

Looks like an awesome trip!

I can't remember what they're called, but try cracking open one of those round rocks you found. If they're what I think they are, there will be some purplish quartz crystals inside. They're really neat. I found several just like them once. I think they're called Amethyst crystals or something like that

Are you thinking about geodes? If so, no, these aren't them. A lot of the specimens we found were already split in half and there was nothing like that inside. At least, not on any of the ones we found.

Top Bottom