Check CB antenna message

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just installed a Cobra 29 LX in my Jeep last night. Took it to an open parking lot today after work to calibrate the SWR. On channel 1 through 12, I get the "check CB antenna" message when keying the mic. The rest of the channels are ok. It is calibrated properly according to the built in SWR meter. Could I have a bad coax cable? What do you guys think?

scull20

Check for hard kinks or any cuts in the coax cable and make sure the antenna has a good ground.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Check to make sure you have a good ground - both at the antenna and the radio itself

I know the radio is grounded well, but I have the antenna mounted to my Bestop spare tire mount with a standard 90 degree mount, maybe I'll try grinding some more paint off the tire mount under the bracket. There is still a chance my coax could be bad too. It's an old used one I got from my dad, who knows how long it's been laying around.

On a side note, I saw your listing in the For Sale section. Would you be willing to sell/trade the Valco mount separate? I have the SFZ mount and it's kinda floppy with the 29 LX hanging from it

Torqt JK

What antenna are you using. If it has an adjustable tip then just raise or lower it. Should fix the problem

JayKay

Caught the Bug
What antenna are you using. If it has an adjustable tip then just raise or lower it. Should fix the problem
I'm using a 4' FireStik, wouldn't raising or lowering it affect the SWR? Because like I said, the SWR readings are spot on using the built in meter.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
dont even bother using the built in meter on the 29 LX....its total junk.

Do yourself a favor and go get a real meter..they cost 20 or less. I can twist on my antenna all day long and my SWR will never move on my 29 LX. There are lots of youtube videos about how crappy not only the SWR is but also the RF meter. they just plain stink compared to the old school analog meters.

KenB1010

Yup, like everyone else has said. Use a real SWR meter the one on your radio is crap. Also just to be clear run a wire from the radio housing to ground. also run a wire from antennae mount to body ground. SWR reading above 3 are usually a result of a bad ground.

Top Bottom