Hot Brake Drums...

Giley's Jeep

Just replaced rear brakes on my 2000 TJ. After driving only 20 miles, noticed the smell of brake shoes from one side and a hot drum. Other side warm but no smell. Have loosened e brake completely; drums turn freely with only slight drag. Used old springs as they appeared ok. Could that be an issue?

Ktoth87

In my experiences I would replace the brake springs and hardware. They are known to wear but appear fine. Also if you used new drums did you clean of the oil the manufacturer puts on the drums. If not remove it with some brake clean.and then recheck your adjustment.

Ktoth87

If you have a slightly seized or sticky e brake lever or cable that will cause a warm drum. Drums will be warm from normal friction. But if one is warmer than the other something could be dragging. Also did you lubricate the contact points?

Totally normal to smell the brakes after a shoe/pad swap on your first couple of brake applications.

Did it feel like a brake was sticking while you were driving?

Giley's Jeep

Totally normal to smell the brakes after a shoe/pad swap on your first couple of brake applications.

Did it feel like a brake was sticking while you were driving?

Been several days since brake job. TJ drives great...no signs of brakes sticking or pulling just one drum side Hot the other warm...plan on opening things up and go from there...

Giley's Jeep

Been several days since brake job. TJ drives great...no signs of brakes sticking or pulling just one drum side Hot the other warm...plan on opening things up and go from there...

See a lot of brake dust once drum is removed. Drum spun easily...shoes just working in?

Giley's Jeep

Totally normal.

Even more so now that the art of re-arcing brake shoes is unheard of in parts stores now.

After closing things up, I adjusted brakes as suggested in the 'WriteUp I dex'. Took her out for a test run and so far so good...Only have to adjust e-brake...

Giley's Jeep

Problem solved. Had thought the rear axle bearing went bad or perhaps a hardware issue. Removed both drums, lightly sanded high spots on shoes as well as drums; replaced all drums, tires and off I went. End of issue...

Top Bottom