SEA-JKU Build Thread.

SEAJ

After the gussets were installed. I spent a day going back and forth on how I wanted to do my front bumper. I decided to go for it and began cutting into my front bumper. The design evolved as I quickly discovered the limitations of the cutting saw. Being accurate while cutting through metal is easier said then done. Ultimately I got close to what I was shooting for and settled on a shallow angled down and in cut toward the bottom that aligns pretty close to my front fender.

I opted to try and fabricate an end cap myself. As I am still working on it, I can say that it may not be worth it in retrospect but I think It will look nice when done.

A cutting and a grinding we go.

20150308_163434.jpg

After the cuts were made. Also are some of the supplies I used. I also used extensively some JB Weld Plastic Bonder.
I decided on Lexan for the end cap (About $14.00 from Home Depot). We found it to be very durable. It cuts clean does not easily melt and very hard to break. I could fold it in half and it would no crack.

20150308_162151.jpg

I will finish off by filling the bumper with some foam and spray everything to blend with some bed liner.

SEAJ

The Ends of the bumper had to be ground down pretty flat and it took some clever contraption with 2x4, clamps and bungie cords to keep constant pressure on the Lexan while the JB Weld Hardened. The whole stand around and hold it for 15 minutes did not work out.

20150309_192046.jpg

Once the JB Plastic Weld hardened we cut and ground down the Lexan and went over the gaps again and filled them in with more JB weld. This is where I am at now. Both sides await final round of gap hardening.

20150309_175025.jpg

Tomorrow we should be able to grind, sand and paint and see how it came out.

SEAJ

Sanded and smoothed. First coat of Bed Liner added. I should have it completed by tomorrow night. Its looking to come out clean.

20150310_193145.jpg

SEAJ

Ok Bumper is done... for now. It looks clean and the Lexan sides feel firmer and stronger than the bumper itself now. I decided on a color deviation over the last week and feel that a little blue tones will make my jeep pop more out on the trail. I started painting part of the bumper so it stands out a little too much now but plan on doing the rock rails I have waiting for install, rear bumper some and maybe other parts. Plus I can always repaint it when It gets scratched up. That's the plan anyways. If I end up not liking it, Ill paint it something else.

20150312_173953.jpg

20150312_173941.jpg

20150312_174020.jpg

20150312_174053.jpg

Last edited:

SEAJ

The plastic steps are gone and the rails are being welded on. Got the Driver side done today. Attached are a few pics. They really are nice durable rock sliders and they mount up fairly close and are heavy duty.

20150319_070043.jpg

20150319_174334.jpg

20150319_185739.jpg

20150319_185731.jpg

SEAJ

Finished both sides of the Ace Weld on Rock Sliders. Cleaned up the welds and painted them. Also we painted the rear bumper to match the front bumper and rails, relocated the plug in bracket for the hitch (out of the way as it was hit last time we were on the trail) while the bumper was removed.

20150321_183109.jpg

20150321_183130.jpg

20150321_183208.jpg

SEAJ

Are they durable enough for hardcore wheeling and not cause any damage.

I believe so.

20150321_180943.jpg

Not a quarter inch of movement with much of the weight of the vehicle on them.

Last edited:

SEAJ

I included a couple pictures of the welded areas as I found no other pictures anywhere for these sliders. I spent some time googling before we started.

20150321_185056.jpg

20150321_185123.jpg

Last edited:

SEAJ

So I noticed that my rear sway bar was making contact with the bump stop extension block sitting on the axle. I was going to take it off and adjust the holes to clear the sway bar arm but removed them instead. They are about 3 inches tall.

I took a tape measure and found with the blocks removed I still had a little more than an inch of shock up travel when the axle would hit the bumpstops. Also the shocks travel at an angle and not straight up and down adding a little more to work with. The only reason I can figure on keeping the blocks was to prevent the tires from pushing into the fenders. I do not have that problem anymore so I removed them.

Maybe I could over compress the spring... maybe I may cause the shock to bottom out if the bumpstops give to much. For an extra few inches of up travel I am willing to gamble.

Last edited:

SEAJ

Next item up for install. Trail communications was a more pressing need since I am going wheeling next weekend and then meeting a bunch of Wayalife members on April 11th at Browns Camp.

20150326_190436.jpg

SEAJ

I opted to go for an over the mirror mounted CB and a License plate mounted Antenna. I read it gets good reception in this license plate location as opposed to behind the spare tire. Plus I did not have to put any holes in my jeep beyond the plastic license plate holder. Got the antenna mounted and cables routed tonight. Tomorrow the CB and brackets go in.

20150326_191607.jpg

20150326_205328.jpg

20150331_194620.jpg

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Really nice job on your bumper. One of the cleanest jobs I've seen on a factory bumper.

SEAJ

Thanks. The bumper was a lot of work but I am glad my idea worked out.

Did some wheeling for the day. Had to see how the builds is progressing. The Dodge Ram and I in my JKU went to Walker Valley to meet a TJ owning friend I met on the trail. The SEA-JKU performed fantastic with the sway bar disconnected I never got stuck. Only one obstacle gave me trouble and that's because I had by front wheels off the ground as It was high centering me some. My traversal down a very rocky slick muddy hill drew a crowd of other Jeep owners all being CJ and TJ owners followed with a lot of questions.

I did bend the rear spare mount some backing into a tree and my tires would rub my sway bar when compressed and turned. Both I will remedy before the next outing in a couple weeks.

20150328_123719.jpg

20150328_123740.jpg

Last edited:

SEAJ

I came out relatively unscathed. The Dodge Ram took a few dings. Ok maybe more than a few. Driver door rear dented in and now driver doors not closing. Front passender side turn signal light broke. Rear passenger brake light plastic tore off.

20150328_174423.jpg

We spent couple hours at an autoparts store fixing a brake issue (Bolt broke on Booster connecting to master cylinder) on the Ram before driving home.

Last edited:

SEAJ

Next Item for install. Yukon 4.88 Gears. Gear and kit have arrived. ARB Locker\Compressor following in a week. Also a big thanks to NORTHRIDGE4X4 for giving me a good deal on these.

20150331_194354.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom