Death wobble after 2.5' lift

BumblebeeZA

Ok so on my way to work this morning I drove over the bump where I experienced the DW for the first time since my lift and it is still happening.
I tested going over it at 90km/h and the second I hit it whole jeep started shaking :shock:

I think Ill be removing my spacers this evening :crybaby:

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I would try to find the cause of the DW instead of removing the spacers, it will return sooner or later. Once they start DW it loosens and wears whatever is causing it to start with. Mine started DW about 3 months after I installed my 2.5 budget boost.
You may want to get longer shocks or extensions for your stock shocks, I don't know how good they will work stretched out that far. This may not have anything to do with it at all but probably not helping either.
If everything is torqued to spec, I would be looking at balljoints,tie rods, etc.
How many miles does it have on it ?

BumblebeeZA

I would try to find the cause of the DW instead of removing the spacers, it will return sooner or later. Once they start DW it loosens and wears whatever is causing it to start with. Mine started DW about 3 months after I installed my 2.5 budget boost.
You may want to get longer shocks or extensions for your stock shocks, I don't know how good they will work stretched out that far. This may not have anything to do with it at all but probably not helping either.
If everything is torqued to spec, I would be looking at balljoints,tie rods, etc.
How many miles does it have on it ?

My Jeep has 46000 miles on.

I really want to kick myself in the b@lls though, I was desperate and played around with my steering box adjustment screw yesterday.
I have not noticed any difference so I hope I never adjusted to much, I lost my spot at a point and hope I didnt screw anything up :doh:

There was play in the area so I googled a bit and came across the little screw.
My wife turned the wheels while I was under the jeep. the shaft was turning at the box but the the wheels stayed still, when she turned far enough and the wheels turn there is absolutely NO play in any of the joints.

This let me to the steering box adjustment.
Ill be putting some money away now for a new box in case I messed things up and I cant stop telling myself "I should of never of done it, I should of never of done it, I should of never of done it"

Alignment is in spec.
My Jeep never once gave a hint of DW without the spacers, its so hard to find a proper kit here in SA for under R20 000 (+-$1900).

I may stop at the dealer in the week to double check I never messed around to much on the steering box :doh:

If ever any of you guys come to SA, I give you full permission to kick me in my b@lls for being an idiot :icon_crazy: :D

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I don't know anything about steering the steering box. Did you get a chance to check your ball joints loose motion with a pry bar?

BumblebeeZA

I don't know anything about steering the steering box. Did you get a chance to check your ball joints loose motion with a pry bar?

Yip, check that late last night as I could not sleep because of all this.
There is no movement or any clunk/click noise.

I also took the wheel off and moved it by hand and see nothing.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I'm out of ideas, maybe someone else can be more help than me.
Maybe try rotate and or balance tires to see if that helps.

sjudson61

DW

Try removing steering stabilizer, then have someone turn steering wheel (engine running)while you trace each connection, it might show itself this way. Put stabilizer back on after problem is found.

jeeeep

Hooked
My Jeep has 46000 miles on.

I really want to kick myself in the b@lls though, I was desperate and played around with my steering box adjustment screw yesterday.
I have not noticed any difference so I hope I never adjusted to much, I lost my spot at a point and hope I didnt screw anything up :doh:

There was play in the area so I googled a bit and came across the little screw.
My wife turned the wheels while I was under the jeep. the shaft was turning at the box but the the wheels stayed still, when she turned far enough and the wheels turn there is absolutely NO play in any of the joints.

This let me to the steering box adjustment.
Ill be putting some money away now for a new box in case I messed things up and I cant stop telling myself "I should of never of done it, I should of never of done it, I should of never of done it"

Alignment is in spec.
My Jeep never once gave a hint of DW without the spacers, its so hard to find a proper kit here in SA for under R20 000 (+-$1900).

I may stop at the dealer in the week to double check I never messed around to much on the steering box :doh:

If ever any of you guys come to SA, I give you full permission to kick me in my b@lls for being an idiot :icon_crazy: :D

oh no! I've yet to see the steering box as an issue for DW.

when you put the other tires on, did you remove the plastic spacers on the wheel drums?

Have you checked your caster?

your shocks may be extended too far they are not allowing sufficient travel to absorb the bumps.

At this point I would agree it's best to remove the spacers and see if the DW goes away then take your Jeep to the dealer and have them check the steering box.

If removing the spacers makes the DW go away, time to save for new longer shocks or shock extensions, at minimum front adjustable lower control arms to adjust caster...or a better yet, save for a mild lift system.

last thought, have you put the new tires on the front to see if that made a difference?

Good luck!

I also recently received 4 2nd hand 255/75R17 GY Wrangler AT tyres from a friend which I put on and balanced. 2 new, and 2 with about 4mm tread left, new at the back, used in the front.

^^Heres your problem^^ Put those used tires on the rear, they've already started wearing to another vehicle.

BumblebeeZA

Ok, just took the spacers off, tested the bump I always get the DW on, and I dont get any hit of a wobble, spacers definitely the problem (well everything involved by adding just the spacers).

As for the steering box, theres no hint that I did any drastic settings, steering feels as normal before I tampered with it.
I still have a little play in it, so think Ill save the dealer fee, and if it goes, then I have an excuse to upgrade anyway :bleh:

Im thinking of getting a Rough country 3.5' lift.
Im just concerned I wont fit in my garage then as I only had about 1' left with the 2.5' lift and I still want to get 285/70R70 muds! I can make a about an extra 1' in the opening though.

Then also, with a 3.5' lift, dont the prop shafts need to be changed to longer ones?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Spacers won't cause dw, you have another issue. Loose or worn parts are usually the culprit.
I'd save up for a quality lift before spending money on rough country.
With that said, glad you got your issue fixed.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed coils and spacers on my jeep. Followed one of Eddie's write-ups for reference. torqued everything to spec and have not had a problem. I now have over 74,000 on my jeep. It was probably mentioned did you lower jeep then torque?

BumblebeeZA

Yes lowered then torqued. Maybe i do have some wearing parts which is probably just more sensitive to the lift. Ill experiment over the week end some more if I dont go wheeling.

KJ_CJtoJK

Sounds to me like this may be a caster issue. Whenever you lift the jeep you loose caster and it is not adjustable unless you add adjustable control arms or a control arm correction bracket. Your jeep may have been already on the low side of the caster spec and your lift put you over the edge. Caster is what make the tires want to track straight. I have a little of the issue that you are talking about (steering wheel shimmy)and I'm planning on installing the JKS control arm correction bracket. The factory caster specification is 3.7 to 4.7 degrees. After my 2.5" lift the caster reduced to 2.7 degrees. These brackets should bring my caster back to factory specs (much cheaper then control arms). http://jksmfg.com/i-19093906-wrangler-jk-2007-2015-control-arm-correction-bracket.html

BumblebeeZA

Thanks guys for all the advise and help, Im going to look into getting a lift kit that has all the necessary parts.
I found a company here in SA called importitall.co.za, will be having a look at there kits they import from the USA and way up my different options.

Once I decide on a few kits, ill ask your recommendations ;)

BumblebeeZA

If the coils were installed incorrectly on the rubber isolators, would that cause a shimmy or death wobble when hitting a bump?
I noticed the isolator had an indent in the shape of the coil so it seats in one way only (must of worn in the shape over time) now I realized when I took out the spacers and reinstalled the coils with our the spacers, I installed the isolators without checking the indent when I previously had the spacers in and must of seated incorrectly on the isolator.

Could this be the cause, or could it still be Caster or Steering stabilizer related?

Recurve

this sounds exactly like the problem I had, 2.5 lift an death wobble really bad. I checked everything just like you. Turns out, when looking at my jeep from the back my axels were "dog legging" basically the front an rear axels were not straight. With the front being offset like that it made the axel oscillate am turned into a death wobble. It was because the track bar was being stretched by the lift, some lifts say 2.5 but really there like at 3. I replaced my whole suspension with an EVO enforcer 4 in lift, with evo drag link flip kit. I would say the drag link flip kit is what corrected it. It rides smooth, an when I hit bumps or holes at speed I get no more death wobble.

BumblebeeZA

Hi guys, just an update.

I machined the spacers down 1/2 inch (20% on the front and rear spacers) " total size 5cm (1.96") front and 3.8cm (1.49") rear"
So total lift is a +-2".

I just finished installing them again, test drove my Jeep and no more Death wobble, in fact, it reacts better than stock over the same bump I was complaining about.
Now yes, its only a spacer lift, no bump stops, shock extensions... NOTHING but spacers.

I dont think just the machining helped, I think because this time I also made sure the coil was positioned in the isolator properly.

This is temporary, but it looks better and now it actually drives better too.
Getting this to work has bought me some time now to save for something decent.

Thanks for all the help and advise!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Hi guys, just an update.

I machined the spacers down 1/2 inch (20% on the front and rear spacers) " total size 5cm (1.96") front and 3.8cm (1.49") rear"
So total lift is a +-2".

I just finished installing them again, test drove my Jeep and no more Death wobble, in fact, it reacts better than stock over the same bump I was complaining about.
Now yes, its only a spacer lift, no bump stops, shock extensions... NOTHING but spacers.

I dont think just the machining helped, I think because this time I also made sure the coil was positioned in the isolator properly.

This is temporary, but it looks better and now it actually drives better too.
Getting this to work has bought me some time now to save for something decent.

Thanks for all the help and advise!

Glad you resolved the problem. 👍

Top Bottom