Stock Rubicon Rear Locker

aermotor

Hey guys, long shot here, but I'm looking for a used stock rear Rubicon e-locker. Turning my Sahara into a Rubi build and it would be a cheap solution to locking the rear over an expensive ARB etc.

ETA: Either that or an eaton locker as I think the splines might be different on a non-rubicon 44 rear.

Ideas welcome as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

07JKSahara

I know their spline counts are different, 32 vs 30 (I think) and the housing has to let in the electronics. Someone will chime in, but before you spend cash on it, make sure the swap will work.

t8er

You'll have to drill your housing plus get new axles since the rubi axles are not equal length like the axles in the Sports and Sahara's. You'd probably be better off finding a complete Rubi housing or buying a locker for your current axle. Just my 2 cents.

aermotor

There is a Rubi rear with 5.38s already installed locally. If I did swap that out myself, could I keep the 4.10s up front if I pulled the front drive shaft? Or is it okay as long as I DO NOT put it into 4WD? How would it be possible to run different gears front and rear until I can get 5.38s installed up front? I will do some research as well.

Wardell

If you don't put it into 4WD you should be fine, but personally I'd pull the front drive shaft to make sure nobody can do that by accident. Ideally though, you might want to wait to put the rear axle on until you can regear the front at the same time. I doubt you'll need the rear locker before then anyway since you can't do too much on the trail with just RWD.

aermotor

Cool thanks. I won't have the chance to do the 5.38s until the end of March but can probably get the rear D44 with 5.38s this week or so. Thanks for the tips, I'll figure something out!

There is a Rubi rear with 5.38s already installed locally. If I did swap that out myself, could I keep the 4.10s up front if I pulled the front drive shaft? Or is it okay as long as I DO NOT put it into 4WD? How would it be possible to run different gears front and rear until I can get 5.38s installed up front? I will do some research as well.

You will want to pull the front drive shaft because even if you are not in 4wd the transfer case is still spinning with the axle. 5.38 gears are really big for a D44. What size tires are you going to run? 5.38's are best for 40's. If you get a chance check out the WAL video "Dusy Ernest" and you will see what can happen to a stock D44 pushing 40's with 5.38 gears. My recommendation is keep looking and find one with 4.10 gears. Again just my :twocents:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Cool thanks. I won't have the chance to do the 5.38s until the end of March but can probably get the rear D44 with 5.38s this week or so. Thanks for the tips, I'll figure something out!

You cannot run 4wd or a front driveshaft if the gears are different.

aermotor

Planning on running 37s, they are KM2s so really in the 36" range. Might go with the 5.13s just for the security, and I also can't get the rear axle for what I want to pay. So I'll probably just keep the rear open and have the front locked which should be fine for the little wheeling I do. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Top Bottom