16" vs 17" wheel

Joejack

So I am getting ready to order some rims and tires from Discount Tire Direct. I am going to go with either Nitto Trail Grapplers or Goodyear Duratracs in either 35/12.50/17 or 315/75/16 for my '13 JK. I like the idea of going with 315/75/16 since it will save me several hundred bucks but I am trying to see if there are issues I am not thinking about. I will not be running a tire any larger than this size so thats not an issue and I see I can run the Synergy tie bar with a 16" wheel so that shouldn't be an issue down the road. I will probably go with the Cragar Soft 8 wheels in 16" or the Black Rock D window in 17". Are there any issues or concerns I am missing running a 16" wheel? Thanks in advance.

bsimon187

Biggest issue is going to be lack of available 16" tires. If you want to upgrade later, the variety gets thinner. Also if you plan on running after market brakes or other suspension components, some require a 17" wheel. Just a few things to consider. I started with the 16", ended up getting 17's with 35's.

There may be other things to look at for, but those are the things I ran into.

Mbair

Definitely 17s. A lot of future upgrades may require you to have a 17" wheels as stated above. Plus 17 is the most popular so you will find that there are more tires made in that size. I haven't seen many 37 or 40 inch tires in 16" rims. (Haven't really looked in full disclosure)

I have not seen the black wheels up close. A close look at the AL polished wheels shows that all surfaces of the wheel have had some type of machining and or polishing on it. This may make it a bit more costly to produce.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Biggest issue is going to be lack of available 16" tires. If you want to upgrade later, the variety gets thinner. Also if you plan on running after market brakes or other suspension components, some require a 17" wheel. Just a few things to consider. I started with the 16", ended up getting 17's with 35's.

There may be other things to look at for, but those are the things I ran into.

Pretty much sums it up right here. The availability of certain sized tires in 16" can get pretty thin. If you plan on staying with a 35ish sized tire and not upgrading brakes, you should be fine with a 16" rim. Me personally, Id still go 17" just in case I wanted to upgrade later, and for better resale value if I decided to change things up. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom