Toyo MT or AT

Riley Moss

If you run them at lower psi it reduces the hockey puck feel he only time it's ever gotten squirrelly for me running mine is when it was freezing rain in eastern Washington and basically the road was just an ice sheet but at that point it really doesn't matter what tires you have.

Speeddmn

I have Toyo MT's on my jeep and Nitto Terra Grapplers (AT) on my pickup. Both perform great in the snow I drive in here in Utah and Wyoming. Haven't ever had an issue, kinda thinking of swapping the Nittos for another set of Toyo MT's. Then get something else on my jeep.

Dean454

I prefer the toyo mt. Great road manners, balance very well on beadlocks. They're tough as hell and great traction

Riley Moss

Couldn't agree more when I first got the jeep from the dealership it had those stock radials on and it was all over the road could keep it in a decent line and then we threw on some 31 inch TOYO MTS and it drove and rode a lot better

Voodoo Actual

I agree it's how's you drive them but I could take any tire and baby them to get me home better than the BFs.

I want a tire I can trust and quite frankly I don't like BF A/T. Sold the last pair and want to sell the current and looking for first hand experience.

Not trying to be rude but looking for first hand experience. I could take any tire and drive 10mph with 28psi and be fine but that doesn't work for me.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

BlackHawk08jk

We normally only get one good snow a year hear but I ran a set of mts on my jeep for two years and the handle amazing in the snow.

hbkid22

Your last sentence doesn't make sense.

Sorry about that. I was referencing your sentence about knowing your tire and how to drive it but I can take any tire and drive them going 10mph. Curious how they handled cruising 40mph+. I feel sketch in BFG going above 30+ in light snow even. Just looking for a solid tire. Sounds like either tire is solid so I just have to decide which ones I want. 37s next.

Mjay

I like my Toyo mts for a year round tire. They're no winter tire, but IMO they do really well for a MT. I've also driven bfg km2s and nitto trail grapplers as a year round deal, and find the Toyos to be the best of the group.

Voodoo Actual

Sorry about that. I was referencing your sentence about knowing your tire and how to drive it but I can take any tire and drive them going 10mph. Curious how they handled cruising 40mph+. I feel sketch in BFG going above 30+ in light snow even. Just looking for a solid tire. Sounds like either tire is solid so I just have to decide which ones I want. 37s next.

I was saying an AT in deep snow you need to keep spinning. Otherwise the tread sucks up the snow and turns into a slick. Where as a MT in deep snow you don't want to spin silly. All that will do is dig in until you're hard parked. Either one you should sit down.

Having owned and driven the Toyo and BFG AT, I'd say the BFG is a better tire. The Toyo AT slips more than the BFG AT but the Toyo is more economical. The BFG AT in a 37 is a good tire.

hbkid22

I was saying an AT in deep snow you need to keep spinning. Otherwise the tread sucks up the snow and turns into a slick. Where as a MT in deep snow you don't want to spin silly. All that will do is dig in until you're hard parked. Either one you should sit down.

Having owned and driven the Toyo and BFG AT, I'd say the BFG is a better tire. The Toyo AT slips more than the BFG AT but the Toyo is more economical. The BFG AT in a 37 is a good tire.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info and sorry for the earlier post but understand now. It really comes down to preference.

Wardell

It seems kinda odd to me that this thread has gone three pages talking about MTs or ATs but only barely mentions any actual winter tires. Even if you get your MTs or ATs sipped, you're not going to get as huge improvement as you might want since normal rubber loses its grip in cold temps. That's what causes the "hockey puck" feeling of sliding around on the road. In my opinion, that kinda makes sipping normal tires a waste of money now that there are a few off road tires that are true winter tires, not just with a properly sipped tread but also made from a different rubber compound that has to meet a certain standards for traction when tested below zero.

The other thing is, there's a huge difference between driving off road in deep snow to driving on cold pavement covered in ice, fresh snow or a salty slush. There are a lot of MTs that can handle deep snow almost as well as mud as long as you're properly aired down, but as soon as you air back up for the drive home and hit the slick, cold pavement again they are as good as hockey pucks. hbkid22, it sounds like that's what you were trying to get at.

If you like Toyos, they just came out with the Open Country CT last fall, which is their new winter rated off road tire. I really haven't seen much about them yet though, so there's not much I can say.

Then there's Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs that have been around since about 2009 that were mentioned earlier, and since you're already familiar with them they're probably a good place to start looking. The guys up here that run the ice roads swear by them for their pickups, so that should tell you how great they are on snow and ice. There are several people on here that run them year round too (even in places that don't really get any snow), since they are good all around for off roading and have good road manners for use on a daily driver. The biggest complaints anyone seems to have with them is poor tread life (fairly common for winter tires since the softer rubber tends to wear quicker) and weak sidewalls.

Also, there are two other winter tires that came out last fall that I'm considering: Nitto Exo Grapplers and BF Goodrich KO2. They're both supposed to be as good as the Duratracs, plus have better sidewall strength and longer tread life. There are a couple other threads on each of these that people who started using them have said how they are so far, but hopefully someone will post some first hand feedback here for you.

One thing to note though, only the KO2s come in 37s right now, which is why I'll probably end up getting those. The Duratracs with a 315/75R17 are actually pretty close though, when you take into account that imperial sizes run noticeably smaller than their size that's basically the metric equivalent to a 37".

hbkid22

It seems kinda odd to me that this thread has gone three pages talking about MTs or ATs but only barely mentions any actual winter tires. Even if you get your MTs or ATs sipped, you're not going to get as huge improvement as you might want since normal rubber loses its grip in cold temps. That's what causes the "hockey puck" feeling of sliding around on the road. In my opinion, that kinda makes sipping normal tires a waste of money now that there are a few off road tires that are true winter tires, not just with a properly sipped tread but also made from a different rubber compound that has to meet a certain standards for traction when tested below zero.

The other thing is, there's a huge difference between driving off road in deep snow to driving on cold pavement covered in ice, fresh snow or a salty slush. There are a lot of MTs that can handle deep snow almost as well as mud as long as you're properly aired down, but as soon as you air back up for the drive home and hit the slick, cold pavement again they are as good as hockey pucks. hbkid22, it sounds like that's what you were trying to get at.

If you like Toyos, they just came out with the Open Country CT last fall, which is their new winter rated off road tire. I really haven't seen much about them yet though, so there's not much I can say.

Then there's Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs that have been around since about 2009 that were mentioned earlier, and since you're already familiar with them they're probably a good place to start looking. The guys up here that run the ice roads swear by them for their pickups, so that should tell you how great they are on snow and ice. There are several people on here that run them year round too (even in places that don't really get any snow), since they are good all around for off roading and have good road manners for use on a daily driver. The biggest complaints anyone seems to have with them is poor tread life (fairly common for winter tires since the softer rubber tends to wear quicker) and weak sidewalls.

Also, there are two other winter tires that came out last fall that I'm considering: Nitto Exo Grapplers and BF Goodrich KO2. They're both supposed to be as good as the Duratracs, plus have better sidewall strength and longer tread life. There are a couple other threads on each of these that people who started using them have said how they are so far, but hopefully someone will post some first hand feedback here for you.

One thing to note though, only the KO2s come in 37s right now, which is why I'll probably end up getting those. The Duratracs with a 315/75R17 are actually pretty close though, when you take into account that imperial sizes run noticeably smaller than their size that's basically the metric equivalent to a 37".

I dont need a full blown winter tire as the snow/ice does not stick around for longer than a week at a time where I live but its those weeks that I am trying to find a good balance. And it really does come down to preference as I dont like the BFGs but others swear by them....And yes you are correct on the puck feeling.

Just looked up the CTs and they dont come in 37s otherwise they would be worth considering. I am moving to 37s when these tires are done otherwise those do look good. The same with the Duratracs. I really like those tires but again only 35s.

Think I am going to give the MTs a try though.

Not knocking BFG but just have never liked them....

Appreciate all the info tho.

JimmyW

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but this thread is very timely for me. I'm looking at the Toyo MT and AT2 in 285/75/17 for my 2015 JKUHR. I like that size, and there really isn't much choice among brands. I think that your post is on point. My biggest concern is plowing around in the snow up in the mountains around Helena, and I get into a little mud in the spring. Most folks suggest that I go with the MTs, though some say that the AT2s are quite adequate in deep off-road snow. As you know, there are all kinds of snow, and it can change in minutes based on temperature. It really gets nasty when the snowmobiles have been up and down the road. I don't think that siping matters in the deep stuff. It seems that the AT2s will have an edge in moderate snow and certainly on packed snow and ice. The newer AT2s come with Xtreme Tread in the above and other larger sizes, and that tread is a little more aggressive. The ATs also may offer an edge in rocky stuff during the summer. The KO2s seem close to the AT2s and come in a 10.50/34/17. The Exos don't come in 75s. Neither do Duratracs, which I ran on my Power Wagon and liked very much. They were studable, too. So, I'm leaning toward MTs.

Riley Moss

Go MTS I was in Pullman Washington down on the snake river pushing two feet of snow with the front bumper running the Toyo MTS no problems. And they perform awesome in the mud especially if you get them siphed properly.

Riley Moss

Sorry hit the reply button to soon. I was also gonna say I've never had an issue with them on ice either. But I usually also run 5 psi under capacity.

Top Bottom