Winch HELP!!

chipper

LOL!! Like I said, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Zeon. But, if you were looking for something that's tried and true, I would recommend anything in the WARN Ultimate or Premium series line up. Maybe something like a 9.5 Cti.

Thanks. I've been racking my brain on what to get. I just wasn't really sure. Tried and true is what I'm looking for.

Jake Wilson

Is it safe to assume you have NOT watched Part 3 of our Pacific Northwest JKX series? This is the part where we play in really deep mud out in the Elbe Hills and of all the JK's out there, only ONE had a winch failure. Care to take a guess as to who the make of that winch was?

Honestly, I can't make this stuff up and I see it happen all the time. Yeah, you'll have guys come on here who'll swear by their Smittybilt winches and tell you how much they use them and blah blah blah. And really, maybe they've actually got one that does in fact work for them. But really, the issue here is about "quality control" or should I say, the lack there of. Is it 1 in 10 that have issues? Maybe it's more like 1 in 100? Are you really willing to take a chance when it comes to a critical recovery of your Jeep or someone else's Jeep?

Of course, all this is just my opinion as you all know, I'm just a mall crawler with zero experience.

Well this thread blew up, haha. Ok so this is the information I was wondering about. (yes I know not everyone agrees with everyone, AMERICA) But yes I watched the video well before I posted this thread. I know Warn is the best... there is absolutely no argument there on my end. I guess I just wanted to make sure it was worth the extra$$. However, you brought up a good point about the line. I think I will get a decent Warn wench with a cable and in a few years upgrade it to a synthetic line. Thanks to everyone on here who gave there :twocents: I really do appreciate it. That being said guys, you don't have to agree with someone's opinion on something but you can at least respect that opinion.

Mahalo,
Jake

ChrisMR589

Found a 9.5ti on Craigslist. Used. Says little use. Wants $1000. Is it worth it? Not sure of the difference between the "ti" and the "cti"

Elon99

Durability - Synthetic Rope vs Wire

So I'm looking at taking advantage of the Warn rebate this month and am trying to decide between synthetic and wire. From a safety perspective I understand that the synthetic rope is safer in the event of a line snap event. As far as weather and the elements on the winch line, how do the synthetic lines fare against the wire lines? I'm on the east coast and we get a good bit of salt on the Jeep in the winter, so I'm wondering about rust issues if I go with wire. However I'm also concerned about UV damage and weather impact on the synthetic line. Any thoughts / experience with these?

SilverBack

So I'm looking at taking advantage of the Warn rebate this month and am trying to decide between synthetic and wire. From a safety perspective I understand that the synthetic rope is safer in the event of a line snap event. As far as weather and the elements on the winch line, how do the synthetic lines fare against the wire lines? I'm on the east coast and we get a good bit of salt on the Jeep in the winter, so I'm wondering about rust issues if I go with wire. However I'm also concerned about UV damage and weather impact on the synthetic line. Any thoughts / experience with these?

I think you would be happy with the synthetic line since Warn makes covers for all of their winches to protect them from the elements. As for the salt I wouldn't worry too much since these lines were developed in the marine industry and are subjected to salt at all times. Just my two cents. Best of luck!

SnailTrail

I just saw this thread and I would have sworn Eddie was talking about me lol (PS bumper and smittybilt). Not really but I fit into his stereotype. I have to say that he is absolutely right. I dont have much experience as this is my first jeep but I did encounter what he speaks of. I went smittybilt because I didn't want to shell out the coin for a Warn at the time. Everyone I talked to and everything I read said to get a Warn and I didn't. Well I needed it for the first time this past weekend and it failed. May be a lemon, may not be but it sure leaves a sour taste. I returned it for a full refund and will be ordering the zeon 10s by the end of the month.

JRied

I have a smitty winch and it may be that 1 in a hundred lol but if you have the money go warn. My jeep came with my winch I didn't choose it. It's worked great pulling me and others out of deep mud. But if I had to buy one for myself I'd buy warn just for the peace of mind. Again nothing wrong with mine but I've seen many things where it wasn't ok for other ppl.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw this thread and I would have sworn Eddie was talking about me lol (PS bumper and smittybilt). Not really but I fit into his stereotype. I have to say that he is absolutely right. I dont have much experience as this is my first jeep but I did encounter what he speaks of. I went smittybilt because I didn't want to shell out the coin for a Warn at the time. Everyone I talked to and everything I read said to get a Warn and I didn't. Well I needed it for the first time this past weekend and it failed. May be a lemon, may not be but it sure leaves a sour taste. I returned it for a full refund and will be ordering the zeon 10s by the end of the month.

Well, I am sorry to hear your winch let you down and I mean that sincerely. In spite of what the fanboys say, there really is nothing worse than having a piece of equipment on your Jeep fail when you need it most. The sad truth is, I simply can't make this stuff up and you're just more proof to what I see all the time. I think you will be happy with your new Zeon.

SnailTrail

Well, I am sorry to hear your winch let you down and I mean that sincerely. In spite of what the fanboys say, there really is nothing worse than having a piece of equipment on your Jeep fail when you need it most. The sad truth is, I simply can't make this stuff up and you're just more proof to what I see all the time. I think you will be happy with your new Zeon.

I couldn't agree with you more. I should have just done it right the first time. Atleast it was only a month old and only used that once so I was able to get a full refund instead of 6 month down the road and stuck with a replacement.

jkjurny

Love my Zeon 10s. Only used it once, but it's fast and did its job. Hopefully it'll develop a good reputation in the long term. Keep in mind that it's now a 2-year old product.

Rccrwlr

Love my Zeon 10s. Only used it once, but it's fast and did its job. Hopefully it'll develop a good reputation in the long term. Keep in mind that it's now a 2-year old product.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!!

Growing up around forestry workers (the best term I can think of) I usually always get what they use for safety.
They always have either warn or Ramsey winches. If those are what professionals use then that's what I would recommend.

It's the same with farm jacks. The county went with cheep ones awhile back and the almost all broke.

They use winches for work they definitely weren't designed for like pulling out trees and whatnot. If a warm can pull a mulberry stump out then it would not have any issue with rescuing my dumb ass from getting stuck.

Do yourself a favor and never skimp out on your safety equipment. It's playing with fire.

Ddays

Hooked
Sorry to bump this old thread up but anyone out there still considering a cheap winch, or worse yet, not having one, read this post and take a look at the $48k towing bill post in the Pub.

There's probably several lessons to be learned there but I bet he could have gotten himself pulled out with some help from a buddy with a winch. Assuming he had one himself...

Top Bottom