Barrett Lake Trail Opening To Public Summer 2015

jk12blk

Quote: "The new trail needs to settle/hardened over the 2014/2015 winter. The Forest Service has indicated with some final mop up work in spring 2015 the trail should be ready to open to the public mid-summer 2015." I've never wheeled this trail, but I've heard it's lots of fun. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Here is the website where I found the update: http://hi-landers.com/BLT/BLT.html#update .

ClarksAdventures

Quote: "The new trail needs to settle/hardened over the 2014/2015 winter. The Forest Service has indicated with some final mop up work in spring 2015 the trail should be ready to open to the public mid-summer 2015." I've never wheeled this trail, but I've heard it's lots of fun. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Here is the website where I found the update: http://hi-landers.com/BLT/BLT.html#update .

I've got a 10 day vacation planned to leave from Portland and run the rubicon in August. Where do I find more about the trail(it's just south of the rubicon yes?)? Is this something I could combine with the rubicon to make an epic vacation?

MarkW13

I hear Deer Valley may be opening soon also. Not very difficult, but an awesome shortcut between 4 and 88.

Several 4x4 groups have been keeping pressure on the FS. That's the main reason i'm a member of California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs. These groups are the only line of defense between us and some very well funded environmental groups.

MarkW13

I've got a 10 day vacation planned to leave from Portland and run the rubicon in August. Where do I find more about the trail(it's just south of the rubicon yes?)? Is this something I could combine with the rubicon to make an epic vacation?

The older fun treks northern california trail guide has it.

You should be able to combine this with a Rubicon trip easily.

ClarksAdventures

The older fun treks northern california trail guide has it.

You should be able to combine this with a Rubicon trip easily.

Fun treks northern trail guide? Is this something I can find online?

Is there any good books or maps I can get of the area. I've never been in the area, and it would be good to have some good old fashioned paper as a backup/reference.

MarkW13

Fun treks northern trail guide? Is this something I can find online?

Is there any good books or maps I can get of the area. I've never been in the area, and it would be good to have some good old fashioned paper as a backup/reference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09664...SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=513X4K245-L&ref=plSrch

Its paper, has gps cords, and covers alot of good stuff. The down side is alot of trails have closed. I suggest checking with the fs before planning your trip.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hear Deer Valley may be opening soon also. Not very difficult, but an awesome shortcut between 4 and 88.

Several 4x4 groups have been keeping pressure on the FS. That's the main reason i'm a member of California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs. These groups are the only line of defense between us and some very well funded environmental groups.

That would be awesome if it does get reopened even if they do have to build bridges across and change the route a bit to address the meadow issue. These are definitely a fun trails that I have been missing.

TheStick

Definitely good news. I felt the same way as wayalife. Figured they would sit on their hands and never reopen.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I guess every once in a great while the off road community and the gummint work together and put one in the win column. Congrats to all involved.:thumb::thumb:

jk12blk

Yup, we were talking about this on another thread last night - so cool!! I can't wait to get out there - sucks that there's the Kyburz fire going on right now that's got 50 shut down between Whitehall and Meyers :grayno:
Yeah, my friends were just saying the same thing.

jk12blk

How hard is this trail? Lockers mandatory?
I've never wheeled Barrett, but here is a quote from the hi-landers site. "The trail is suggested only for the experienced four-wheeler with non-stock, lifted and modified rigs. The trail is limited to narrow short wheel based vehicles. Rating the trail on a 1 to 10 system this trail is a 9 to 10. The Barrett Lake Trail is a single path trail there is no bypassing the hard spots. The Gateposts at the Trailhead are 82 inches apart and are used as a gauge; if your vehicle cannot fit between the gateposts it will not make it through the squeeze points on the trail, and again there are no bypasses."

If the above is accurate, I would think lockers might be strongly recommended. Or have a winch or someone who can help you get through tough spots. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How hard is this trail? Lockers mandatory?

I would say yes.

I've never wheeled Barrett, but here is a quote from the hi-landers site. "The trail is suggested only for the experienced four-wheeler with non-stock, lifted and modified rigs. The trail is limited to narrow short wheel based vehicles. Rating the trail on a 1 to 10 system this trail is a 9 to 10. The Barrett Lake Trail is a single path trail there is no bypassing the hard spots. The Gateposts at the Trailhead are 82 inches apart and are used as a gauge; if your vehicle cannot fit between the gateposts it will not make it through the squeeze points on the trail, and again there are no bypasses."

If the above is accurate, I would think lockers might be strongly recommended. Or have a winch or someone who can help you get through tough spots. :yup:

This. If you're wider than 82", you won't be clearing the gate. The last time I tried to run it, Moby was 88" wide and it was laughable. It's a tough trail with no bypasses.

Top Bottom