2012 Intake w/ PSC Hydro Kit

jeeeep

Hooked
I just spent the last 2 hours trying to mock mine up to move it in the same location but there is no way it will fit without doing what you did, basically remove the air box and run just the filter. The PSC guide does show a single cut for the hose, wonder what year Jeep that was done on.

time to move on to plan C ... eat cake and think more :thinking:

EZ-E

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to mock mine up to move it in the same location but there is no way it will fit without doing what you did, basically remove the air box and run just the filter. The PSC guide does show a single cut for the hose, wonder what year Jeep that was done on.

Good call on the cake lol. You're more patient than me. I spent an hour and then ordered a new intake.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

I also had to elongate the slot on the PSC bracket where the bolt passes through to mount to the frame about 1/2". Then I put a 1/2" steel spacer I bought from Home Depot sandwiched between the bracket and the frame (under the elongated bolt) to allow the reservoir to clear the radiator cap and not rub against the radiator overflow tube. Pain in the ass and it's a loss poor design IMO.

SaddleTramp had ORE install a M.O.R.E dual battery tray and cut a hole at the bottom for hoses. I know Off-Road Evolution has now this on a handful of rigs and it seems to be a good solution. But that install looks to be also a PITA. I think I'd also need a new -12 AN fitting for the feed hose.

I wonder which is worse. The Mopar/Airraid/Volant/K&N type filters or a oem paper filter with a hole in the bottom of the box.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I also had to elongate the slot on the PSC bracket where the bolt passes through to mount to the frame about 1/2". Then I put a 1/2" steel spacer I bought from Home Depot sandwiched between the bracket and the frame (under the elongated bolt) to allow the reservoir to clear the radiator cap and not rub against the radiator overflow tube. Pain in the ass and it's a loss poor design IMO.

SaddleTramp had ORE install a M.O.R.E dual battery tray and cut a hole at the bottom for hoses. I know Off-Road Evolution has now this on a handful of rigs and it seems to be a good solution. But that install looks to be also a PITA. I think I'd also need a new -12 AN fitting for the feed hose.

I wonder which is worse. The Mopar/Airraid/Volant/K&N type filters or a oem paper filter with a hole in the bottom of the box.

Jeeeep had a great idea regarding a piece of 2-3" PVC pipe installed/RTV'd into the factory airbox. I haven't gone down the road of hydro yet, but I am really going to try to retain the factory airbox when I do. I think if there is a way to slice off a piece of it and then close it back up leaving room for the hydro supply hose, that's the way to do it.

EZ-E

Wrapped up the install today. AFE Intake went in with a little minor modification. Can open the res cap no problem now.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425769558.995988.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425769590.479291.jpg

dchew

Caught the Bug
Looks good. Very similar to my install a few years ago.
See the first post here: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4171-Oso-Build-Thread

I think the aFe is a good option for this approach. I wish we didn't have to use a CAI, but I prefer this over cutting the factory box. At least the bottom of the filter is protected. Were you able to route the intake hose directly down and into the pump?

Dave

EZ-E

Looks good. Very similar to my install a few years ago.
See the first post here: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4171-Oso-Build-Thread

I think the aFe is a good option for this approach. I wish we didn't have to use a CAI, but I prefer this over cutting the factory box. At least the bottom of the filter is protected. Were you able to route the intake hose directly down and into the pump?

Dave

Completely agree. And yeah, I was able to make a straight line. Ended up clearancing the metal shielding for the intake slightly for the hose but other than that it bolted right up.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Completely agree. And yeah, I was able to make a straight line. Ended up clearancing the metal shielding for the intake slightly for the hose but other than that it bolted right up.

I had to clearance mine on the Mopar intake too...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425790696.104879.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
that turned out good. Did you use a 90 elbow on the pump to the reservoir?

I have an AFE CAI but it's the fully enclosed unit, wonder if I can get just the guard portion, i'll call AFE on Monday

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
that turned out good. Did you use a 90 elbow on the pump to the reservoir?

I have an AFE CAI but it's the fully enclosed unit, wonder if I can get just the guard portion, i'll call AFE on Monday

Reservoir to pump uses a 60 degree elbow. The return line was a 90 degree -8an Aeroquip fitting I took off the crankcase breather system of my other car. The fully enclosed AFE won't work if it's anything like the fully enclosed Airraid unit. I've tried.

jeeeep

Hooked
Reservoir to pump uses a 60 degree elbow. The return line was a 90 degree -8an Aeroquip fitting I took off the crankcase breather system of my other car. The fully enclosed AFE won't work if it's anything like the fully enclosed Airraid unit. I've tried.

jk12blk

I was not happy with my AGR ram assist using the factory reservoir, so I had it swapped out for a PSC reservoir. Swapped the pump while I was at it and kept the AGR pump as a spare. Anyway, the shop where I had the work done did a nice job installing the PSC res and cutting the factory intake to fit around the corner of PSC res base. If you look closely, you can see the inner tin rectangle (painted black) which provides enough room for the intake to fit around the corner of the PSC res. The final fit was snug, but it works and it completely sealed. The tin was riveted to the plastic and sealed with some with a sealant. I have not viewed PSC's site, but maybe this is what they did as well and my fab guy just copied it.

IMG_6554.JPG IMG_6555.JPG IMG_6559.JPG IMG_6566.JPG

MTG

Caught the Bug
I was not happy with my AGR ram assist using the factory reservoir, so I had it swapped out for a PSC reservoir. Swapped the pump while I was at it and kept the AGR pump as a spare. Anyway, the shop where I had the work done did a nice job installing the PSC res and cutting the factory intake to fit around the corner of PSC res base. If you look closely, you can see the inner tin rectangle (painted black) which provides enough room for the intake to fit around the corner of the PSC res. The final fit was snug, but it works and it completely sealed. The tin was riveted to the plastic and sealed with some with a sealant. I have not viewed PSC's site, but maybe this is what they did as well and my fab guy just copied it.

View attachment 132609 View attachment 132610 View attachment 132611 View attachment 132612

Wow! Nice work. Not all the exaggeration as some of the other people have had. :thumb: I'd love to see some more pics.

jk12blk

Wow! Nice work. Not all the exaggeration as some of the other people have had. :thumb: I'd love to see some more pics.
Hi MTG - I will see if I can pull the intake tomorrow late afternoon and take a few more pics. The outside of the of box is not quite as clean looking as the sealant was a little messy. :yup:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

it is very nice work. I wasn't exaggerating that it "SEEMED" that I would have to trim far more. If it's only this bit I may try this as well. What's strange is how different all of our installs are even though we all use the same bracket. The PSC website shows completely different cuts. I would have lost half my airbox. On the other hand, this is a small cut that was easily accommodated by a simple mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom