Evarts, KY vs. Windrock, TN or ??? for a long weekend

Tumbleweed

Hello;
I haven't been to Evarts, KY in about 5 years. I was riding an ATV then. What are the trails like for Jeeps?
Would you recommend any other place for a long weekend in the vicinity of Ride Royal Blue, Brimstone, Coal Creek or Black Mountain?
Thanks, Jerry.

bsimon187

Widrock is a great park. Tons of trails and even if you ride all day Saturday and Sunday you won't hit them all by a long shot.

I second windrock. Several people on here hit it up frequently and we just took a trip there a month or so ago. Any terrain you want. And its HUUUUUUUUGGGEEEE

bsimon187

There are a a few of us going up to Harlan/Evarts next weekend to ride at adventure off road park. We will be up there on Friday night and wheeling through sunday afternoon. Let me know if you want to meet us up there.

Tumbleweed

There are a a few of us going up to Harlan/Evarts next weekend to ride at adventure off road park. We will be up there on Friday night and wheeling through sunday afternoon. Let me know if you want to meet us up there.

Is Adventure Off Road Park different than Black Mountain @ Harlan/Evarts? The only Adventure Off Road Park I could find is near Chattanooga, TN.

I've been to both Black Mountain & Windrock.
It's been a few years since Black Mtn. and even then it was on ATVs.
I rode Windrock 2 years ago with the Jeeps. It seems to have a lot more miles & trails than any other place I've found in that area.
Am I missing any other place?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bsimon187

Is Adventure Off Road Park different than Black Mountain @ Harlan/Evarts? The only Adventure Off Road Park I could find is near Chattanooga, TN.

I've been to both Black Mountain & Windrock.
It's been a few years since Black Mtn. and even then it was on ATVs.
I rode Windrock 2 years ago with the Jeeps. It seems to have a lot more miles & trails than any other place I've found in that area.
Am I missing any other place?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah- did not mean adventure off road park.. Harlan is where we are going next weekend.

Windrock is def. a big park. We will probably be making a trip up there again this summer for sure.

sweetwaterjk

Out of the two options you listed... i personally would vote for Windrock. I have put over 1500 miles up at windrock and still have not been on all of the trails. They own over 75,000 acres..and are constantly putting in new trails. As people have said, you can go from mild to OMG in a matter of .2 seconds. They trails are also constantly changing up there. You might go on trail 16 for one run... come back 2-3 weeks later and trail 16 has changed completely on difficulty. It all depends on our weather, and amount of use on the trails. The trails can get hogged out pretty bad..and quickly too. If you do go to Windrock, please buy a map. A lot of people wheel the southern side of the map and don't go too often to the northern side... the north side is where some good LONG trails are at. Putting it this way.. we averaged about 6-8mph in SxS's and it took us from 7am roll out... to back on the trailer at 2am. That was very few stops and we had to come down the mountain once for fuel for the 2 4wheelers that were with us. That one ride was about 150 miles... 90% trail.

If you have any questions about windrock, just let me know!

-Thomas

bsimon187

Out of the two options you listed... i personally would vote for Windrock. I have put over 1500 miles up at windrock and still have not been on all of the trails. They own over 75,000 acres..and are constantly putting in new trails. As people have said, you can go from mild to OMG in a matter of .2 seconds. They trails are also constantly changing up there. You might go on trail 16 for one run... come back 2-3 weeks later and trail 16 has changed completely on difficulty. It all depends on our weather, and amount of use on the trails. The trails can get hogged out pretty bad..and quickly too. If you do go to Windrock, please buy a map. A lot of people wheel the southern side of the map and don't go too often to the northern side... the north side is where some good LONG trails are at. Putting it this way.. we averaged about 6-8mph in SxS's and it took us from 7am roll out... to back on the trailer at 2am. That was very few stops and we had to come down the mountain once for fuel for the 2 4wheelers that were with us. That one ride was about 150 miles... 90% trail.

If you have any questions about windrock, just let me know!

-Thomas

Windrock is a great park! However, we went to Evarts/Harlan this past weekend and it was a good park as well. To me, it seemed very similar to Windrock(Except in size- we did wheel for three days and only covered a fraction of the park though). There you can also go from mild to wild in the blink of an eye. If you get the chance, I would go to both parks as you would not be disappointed in either. There is def. a lot more to do outside the park at Windrock. Evarts/Harlan is a small town with not much going on. Our group bought a yearly pass as we will go back up for sure- $50 for a year or $30 for month pass up there..

I would still rank Windrock as my favorite park but would put Evarts/Harlan in second.

Tumbleweed

Thanks for the info.

Apparently, there is a new place near Ride Royal Blue. Tackett Creek. Lots of YouTube videos. Mostly with SxS's. Seems like a decent place. Kind of "raw". We're planning on going there.

Top Bottom