Skid question ??

RedRum

So I'm ordering a set of rock hard oil trans skid for my new 4 door auto Rubi, now I have an Evo protek skid system I took off my 2012 2dr manual sport ... My question is has anyone run the rockhard oil trans skid with the Evo crossmember skid together ?? Or does anyone know if it will work ? I ask because if it def will not than in going to sell it and order more parts before the new jeep ones in

Thank you

CJW

I can't say for sure as I haven't seen this done but I wouldn't expect them to work together. If I remember correctly, the rock hard skid mounts directly to the jeeps factory crossmember. The evo crossmember skid sticks out a bit so I think there'd be some heavy cutting/modifying to make it work.
Not sure why'd you want to run both though since the rock hard one reaches all the way to the factory crossmember.

RedRum

From what I saw it reaches to it but does not cover it while the Evo skid fully covers in and having banged up my current crossmember prior to getting that skid I wanted to avoid that from happening and since I already have it ... Didn't really expect it to work just wanted to see if anyone had ... thank you tho you make a good point

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm ordering a set of rock hard oil trans skid for my new 4 door auto Rubi, now I have an Evo protek skid system I took off my 2012 2dr manual sport ... My question is has anyone run the rockhard oil trans skid with the Evo crossmember skid together ?? Or does anyone know if it will work ? I ask because if it def will not than in going to sell it and order more parts before the new jeep ones in

Thank you

I'm pretty sure it will not work nor will it be needed being that the Rock Hard skids tie into the cross member.

Just out of curiosity, any reason why you don't just keep the EVO oil pan skid and cross member skid and then just get the auto tranny skid for it as opposed to ditching the whole thing for a whole new system?

RedRum

Yea I ran Into a problem with the system and could never get an answer as how to fix it ... When I installed exhaust spacers to drop the exhaust away from the driveshaft after lifting the jeep ... The crossmember would not bolt up due to one of the installation points being the control arm, therefore I couldn't get the crossmember to mount up because it would always hit the exhaust ... From what I'm told the rock hard can simply be shimmed to avoid this issue ... I suppose I could just reuse the skids and buy an auto tranny skid and use the extra money for a new driveshaft but I was thinking of just a total fresh start and sell off the Evo skids ... never had an issue with them it's just the crossmember skid has been off for the past year ever since I took it off to repaint it and installed the lift ... It never went back on despite a couple attempts

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I ran Into a problem with the system and could never get an answer as how to fix it ... When I installed exhaust spacers to drop the exhaust away from the driveshaft after lifting the jeep ... The crossmember would not bolt up due to one of the installation points being the control arm, therefore I couldn't get the crossmember to mount up because it would always hit the exhaust ... From what I'm told the rock hard can simply be shimmed to avoid this issue ... I suppose I could just reuse the skids and buy an auto tranny skid and use the extra money for a new driveshaft but I was thinking of just a total fresh start and sell off the Evo skids ... never had an issue with them it's just the crossmember skid has been off for the past year ever since I took it off to repaint it and installed the lift ... It never went back on despite a couple attempts

Well, your problem with the cross member skid is that it can't be used with exhaust spacers and really, the spacers are a cheap fix that won't address the steep angle your front drive shaft is sitting at. This puts your CV boot in a constant state of pinch and it WILL fail sooner than later. Regardless of what skids you choose to run, a new front drive shaft IS what you really need.

RedRum

Yea I agree ! You are correct ... with this new rubicon I'm planning on running the Evo leveling kit for the first year or so and I'm going to build this One the right way ...

RedRum

Ok so the question is will the oil pan and crossmember skid from my 2012 2sr manual sport for my 4 dr rubicon with an auto tranny ? And does anyone know the part number of the automatic trans skid as I can't find the 2012- newer skid on the website

Thank you

Thank you
I thought this was discussed recently on WAL - I'll have to dig up with some other forum members figured out.

We mount to the factory cross member in 4 locations. Just looked a picture of the ProTek EVO crossmember skid and it does not look like they'd be compatible. Looks like they share to much similar real estate. Yes our transfer case overlaps under our oil pan skid plate, but the ProTek looks like it comes forward of the factory cross member and would interfere with our oil pan skid plate.

RH-6000-LA-3T.jpg

main.php

Top Bottom