Torque wrench

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
You can try Blue Point tools. They're made by snap on and cheaper. I have a few and have had no issues.

sheepdawg

my 2 cents...

Got my first Craftsman set for bday in 1981, still have it mixed in with newer tools. Works fine, I'd love to have Snap On but I have never seen them around here.

You can buy snap on tools from their on line shop. They ship directly to your home. I just purchased some screw drivers this way. Same price as the guys who drive around in the trucks.

I have some pre 1990 craftsmen and they work pretty good. I am always upgrading my tools in my home shop, then those tool that I replaced get down graded to my tools for the trail. I try to buy snap on or mac for my wrenches, ratchets, and sockets. The rest is a mix of mostly made in USA. But I do have some harbor freight and they work pretty good for what I paid for them.

I have the 56" US General (harbor freight) tool chest and box and that rocks for the cost. I could not bring myself to buy a $5k plus tool storage system for being a shade tree mechanic.

As for torque wrenches, I have the 1/2" and 3/8" brand from Lowes. Been calibrated and I have used it successfully to replace a blown head gasket, rebuilt an engine and torque lug nuts. No complaints.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You can buy snap on tools from their on line shop. They ship directly to your home. I just purchased some screw drivers this way. Same price as the guys who drive around in the trucks.

You can buy offline, it is not always the same price as buying from a truck. Usually the truck is cheaper as they buy a lot of their tools at tool shows and or meetings and get them cheaper so they can but not always sell cheaper.

Richard

I have craftsman ft lbs and in lbs and they haven't done me wrong. I would love to invest on some Snap-On torque wrenches but I think I currently have better things that I dont need to empty my pockets with.

Havoc40

I have craftsman ft lbs and in lbs and they haven't done me wrong. I would love to invest on some Snap-On torque wrenches but I think I currently have better things that I dont need to empty my pockets with.

Like I mentioned, my old 3/8 Craftsman torque wrench has never let me down and is usually within .5% of my Snap-on. The ONLY reason I bought digital Snap-on wrenches is because I must have yearly calibration certs for work, and have been running into torque angle specifications frequently. For the average DIY mechanic, I wouldn't recommend wasting the money on expensive torque wrenches.

Gonna bump this cause I'm stoked on my new purchase.
Got a visit from my arch nemesis/ best friend.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436286236.068110.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436286253.011637.jpg .

1/2" drive Techangle torque wrench.

rangair94

I got my 3/4 torque wrench from precision instruments for 307 the one they make for snap on is like 900. On a side note if you know someone, or have a college email you can use it to sign up for snap ons student program online. You can buy them on the website. A lot of the tools are half price. You can only buy it once though. That's how I got my 1/2 cordless impact. Best purchase ever.

Last edited:

Bosunmate

My Craftman 3/8" drive inch pond and foot pound torque wrenches are ok. They both have screened painted numbers on the handle that are wearing off. I just recently bought a 1/2 drive Kobolt that have all the numbers engraved. Much better.

JeepFan

Hooked
My 1/2" drive Craftsman torque wrench died after 2 years and light use. Just replaced it with a CDI 30-250 ft lbs torque wrench. Really like it so far.

Top Bottom