Torque wrench

MTG

Caught the Bug
Why do you always break stuff? :crazyeyes::D

One of the defining characteristics of modern man is the ability to forge and use tools. It is what often separates us from some of the lower primates. I'm not going to name names, but some of us are a little behind on the evolutionary front. ;)

GCM 2

I can't find the article now, but there was a review of several torque wrenches (1/2" with up to 250 ft lbs).....This review said the Snap-on was best (of course) but listed CDI and Craftsman as best buys......

Never, ever, ever purchase Craftsman, at least I will not anymore. There was a time where that was the gold standard for tools (especially warranties), but they no longer come even close to being decent. In fact that was my high school graduation present from my father back in 1984, Craftsman's biggest (at the time) complete tool set with tool boxes. The quality of every piece of that set compared to its Craftsman equivalent sold today is easily distinguishable. I would spend money on Harbor Freight Chinese crap before ever buying the current Craftsman Chinese crap.

I have found that Home Depot's line of Husky tools to actually be really good and actually pretty badass and their warranty is also good.

If you are going for straight up professional grade tools, I would suggest the CDI (snap-on) brand always available on Amazon. Pretty close to a full blown Snap-On stamped tool, Mac Tools, etc. but the cost is much friendlier.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I bought mine at Lowe's. Mainly because I needed a bigger one than the one I had and it was the only store open at 7:00 am when Sharkey and I were installing my lift. :cheesy:

Was at home desperate yesterday and walked through their tool aisle (totally bogus BTW).
However they did have made in USA Husky torque wrenches for 75 bucks.

And GCM is right on with older vrs newer craftsman. No comparison.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
One of the defining characteristics of modern man is the ability to forge and use tools. It is what often separates us from some of the lower primates. I'm not going to name names, but some of us are a little behind on the evolutionary front. ;)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426279539.647108.jpg ............

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Was at home desperate yesterday and walked through their tool aisle (totally bogus BTW).
However they did have made in USA Husky torque wrenches for 75 bucks.

And GCM is right on with older vrs newer craftsman. No comparison.

Perhaps its because you live in BFE and your Home Depot reflects the shit heads that live in that city??

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Never, ever, ever purchase Craftsman, at least I will not anymore. There was a time where that was the gold standard for tools (especially warranties), but they no longer come even close to being decent. In fact that was my high school graduation present from my father back in 1984, Craftsman's biggest (at the time) complete tool set with tool boxes. The quality of every piece of that set compared to its Craftsman equivalent sold today is easily distinguishable. I would spend money on Harbor Freight Chinese crap before ever buying the current Craftsman Chinese crap.

I have found that Home Depot's line of Husky tools to actually be really good and actually pretty badass and their warranty is also good.

If you are going for straight up professional grade tools, I would suggest the CDI (snap-on) brand always available on Amazon. Pretty close to a full blown Snap-On stamped tool, Mac Tools, etc. but the cost is much friendlier.

Got my first Craftsman set for bday in 1981, still have it mixed in with newer tools. Works fine, I'd love to have Snap On but I have never seen them around here.

BlackHat

BTW - Craftsman does not warranty their torque wrenches - you buy it, it's yours and cannot be returned unless you can prove product defect.

I was told this also so I went home, put the drive of the torque wrench in my vice clamped it down as hard as I could then turned it till the 1/2" drive head broke off. Took it back to sears exchanged for a brand new one since it was the mechanical part that failed and not the calibration.

On a side note I use a Snap-On torque wrench for my engine builds, and everything else gets the craftsman, and now that I know how to get a new craftsman, I use it on the trail as well.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I bought mine at Lowe's. Mainly because I needed a bigger one than the one I had and it was the only store open at 7:00 am when Sharkey and I were installing my lift. :cheesy:

If you have to buy Chinese, and you almost have to, except maybe Snap On, Lowes has pretty good tools.

Rccrwlr

BTW - Craftsman does not warranty their torque wrenches - you buy it, it's yours and cannot be returned unless you can prove product defect.

I was told this also so I went home, put the drive of the torque wrench in my vice clamped it down as hard as I could then turned it till the 1/2" drive head broke off. Took it back to sears exchanged for a brand new one since it was the mechanical part that failed and not the calibration.

On a side note I use a Snap-On torque wrench for my engine builds, and everything else gets the craftsman, and now that I know how to get a new craftsman, I use it on the trail as well.

I'm using this!

Havoc40

Thankfully one of my best friend runs a Snap-On franchise. Calibrates mine for free every year. I have a 1/2 and 3/8. That said...my 10yr old Craftsman still seems to be decently accurate when checking it after using the Snap-On stuff.

20140819_205250.jpg

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Wright tools has a good torque wrench that's American made. I use them at work.

SK tools are the wrenches I use from my personal toolbox, and my SK torque wrench has never let me down. American made also.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Craftsman makes a good 1/2" drive 20-150 ft/lb torque wrench for under $100. I've been using mine for a couple years now with no issues.:yup:

They used to. I had to buy a new one because my old one (like you describe) was stolen. The new ones are a waste of money, the lock ring doesn't stay locked and the adjustment dial will rotate during use even if the lock ring is "locked." I'm incredibly disappointed because I loved my older craftsman torque wrench.

SnapOn is what I'll be going with now.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I was wrong, partially, when I said Craftsman didn't make wrenches in the USA, anymore. I bought this 21mm online. Looks like the torque wrenches are made in China, though. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428064847.387738.jpg

Top Bottom