OPINION Q: Winch shootout - Article

Sharkey

Word Ninja
To paraphrase crippledpetey - if you were going to buy a parachute, would you pay a bit more for something you know works or would you choose to save a few bucks because a review of a Chinese made one 4 years ago sounded favorable?

It totally depends who I'm buying it for.

Rccrwlr

Thanks! Good things to consider. Much appreciated

There are actually a lot of used Warn winches that have a lot of life left in them. Picked up a used XD9000i for $400. There are plenty of maintenance threads out there on how to clean things up and make sure they are internally sound. Just a thought.

KingCopperhead

And I hope you know that some of us are just trying to help prevent you from making a purchase you might regret later and based on what we've seen. :yup:

That's why I wrote such a drawn out post.

I feel like I got lucky with mine. It's never overheated or given me any issues. I keep a cover on mine and after a winter in NY it's completely rust free.

But again. I feel like I got lucky and could have ended up like overlander. But hard for me to bad mouth the winch when it's been great for me.

Yet at the same time I'd feel terrible if I told someone "Yeah go buy it, it's awesome." then they end up posting here that they got a dud.

Hot94Z28

I have an Engo and it has worked the few times I have used it. Now once I get into more wheeling and doing it more often I am buying a Warn.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have a Warn XD9000i that I got new in 2000 for my TJ, it's now on my JK and works as good as it always did. Had it looked at by a shop that services Warn 8 months ago and other than needing some new paint he said it was in good shape. I think 15 years is pretty good and if it dies before me I will by Warn again. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427048937.851338.jpg

Top Bottom