Nitto/Toyo width and diameter vs KM2

desertrunner

looking at possibly getting a set of Toyo MTs 37x13.5r17 or Nitto Trail graps 37x12.5r17 as my next set of tires. I am currently running a set of 37x12.5r17 KM2s with wheels that have 4.5" of BS. I get some rubbing on my sway bar and up by my grill at full stuff and turn up front and in the rear on the rubi rails and rear bumper (LOD sig series full width)

my question is mostly about the extra 1" of width on the toyos, is it really that noticeable of a difference and will it add way more rubbing than i already have and i should get some wheel spacers? or will it be about the same as my old set of KM2s?

also if anyone has run these three tires that can speak to the differences that is specified on their websites as inflated overall diameter (toyo larger than nitto and BFG) is that a noticeable difference as a more true 37? I dont think i can stuff much more tire in there than what i had with the KM2s w/out changing a few things.

side note: does discount tire not deal with toyo? i dont see toyos on their website :thinking:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Can't help you with the extra width, but I know DT and America's Tire do sell Toyos. I was at a store a few weeks ago and they had a set which they ordered for a customer.

desertrunner

Can't help you with the extra width, but I know DT and America's Tire do sell Toyos. I was at a store a few weeks ago and they had a set which they ordered for a customer.

i figured they did i thought there was no way a tire store that big wouldnt but i didnt see them on their website so im not to sure how much they would charge for a set of 37s. i havent tried to call and ask though so that would be a good start haha :bleh:

desertrunner

and i guess another good question to ask about the width is i was just gonna keep my KM2 spare since its unused and buying 4 is cheaper than 5, on the chance i have to use it i wonder how the width difference would fair on the road :thinking:

unless someone wants to buy an unused 37" KM2 i hear these are a hot commodity now a days ;)

Big b

Discount tire direct does not sell Toyo's. Discount tire stores do sell Toyo's. I have now had all three tire models that you are asking about and the Toyo's and Nitto's are noticeably larger in width and height. The Nitto's are a wide 12.5 and are very close to the Toyo's in width.

Big b

and i guess another good question to ask about the width is i was just gonna keep my KM2 spare since its unused and buying 4 is cheaper than 5, on the chance i have to use it i wonder how the width difference would fair on the road :thinking:

unless someone wants to buy an unused 37" KM2 i hear these are a hot commodity now a days ;)

I would think the height difference would cause issues before the width. Both the Nitto and Toyo will be an inch or more taller.

desertrunner

Discount tire direct does not sell Toyo's. Discount tire stores do sell Toyo's. I have now had all three tire models that you are asking about and the Toyo's and Nitto's are noticeably larger in width and height. The Nitto's are a wide 12.5 and are very close to the Toyo's in width.

makes sense why they arent on the website then thank you :D Hummmm ok well i know the KM2s had some rubbing issues that wernt terrible but for sure noticeable makes me nervous to throw something bigger in there even if its only .5" i guess only one true way to find out slap them on flex it out and see what hits and break out the sawzall :cheesy:

desertrunner

I would think the height difference would cause issues before the width. Both the Nitto and Toyo will be an inch or more taller.
really that much taller over the KM2? i know on the site they were listed as 36.8 and i believe the nitto is the same i wonder what makes them sit taller.... sidewall?

desertrunner

so i am quoting this from eddie on another thread "Your 315's will have a true measurement of about 35" or just shy of it. A 37x12.50R17 will have a true measurement of about 35", typically on the money if not just a tad taller"

I have read stuff like this quite a few times so now im curious how does the 315 nitto trail grap compare to the 37 KM2. according to the website the overall diameter should be 2" shorter (makes sense) but how do you get a "TRUE" measurement of 35" on a 37x12.5r17?? :thinking: I understand psi and vehicle weight will squish them a bit but for a 315 should experience the same squish right and measure more like a 33??? also at $90 cheaper a tire if the difference is not even an inch why would anyone buy a 37 vs 315?

Last edited:

Big b

so i am quoting this from eddie on another thread "Your 315's will have a true measurement of about 35" or just shy of it. A 37x12.50R17 will have a true measurement of about 35", typically on the money if not just a tad taller"

I have read stuff like this quite a few times so now im curious how does the 315 nitto trail grap compare to the 37 KM2. according to the website the overall diameter should be 2" shorter (makes sense) but how do you get a "TRUE" measurement of 35" on a 37x12.5r17?? :thinking: I understand psi and vehicle weight will squish them a bit but for a 315 should experience the same squish right and measure more like a 33??? also at $90 cheaper a tire if the difference is not even an inch why would anyone buy a 37 vs 315?

True a 37" KM2 in my experience will measure close to 35". But I have had 2 sets of Toyo 37's and 1 set of Nitto 37's and both measured over 36" with 28 psi mounted on 9" wide wheels under vehicle weight.

desertrunner

True a 37" KM2 in my experience will measure close to 35". But I have had 2 sets of Toyo 37's and 1 set of Nitto 37's and both measured over 36" with 28 psi mounted on 9" wide wheels under vehicle weight.

hummmm so i wonder how the 315x70r17 nitto or toyo would compare to the 37x12.5r17 KM2. If they are gonna measure out the same i might as well save some money and go the 315 route especially if they are gonna sit the same as my KM2s

Top Bottom