Spyderlocks

bigtrucker52

Hey everyone! I'm thinking about getting some spyderlock beadlocks when i get bigger tires and the lift within the next year or so. I've seen a lot of people running them in the WAL Films on YouTube. More than likely i will still be using my jeep as a daily driver with 35s to 37s at least. I was wondering if people run these and what your experiences with them are? Are they easily balanced for street use? Will they retain mud when i go mudding since most of the trails around here in Memphis are really muddy since we have a mostly clay soil make-up as we're right next to the river? Or should i keep my stock rims and two sets of tires and get the spyderlocks for offroading only?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Only issue I remember eddie saying, since the wheels are the same as slabs other than the rock ring, that if you hit it enough it can throw the wheel out of balance.

xflstl

Yes they will retain mud, but not any more or less than most other wheels. However they can be a little tougher to clean out do to the nature of the ring shape. They balance very easy.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The spyder locks are the wheels with the star shape on the ring. I recall Eddie telling me the rings would get caught on brush and debris which is why he modified the rings and now runs ATX (KMC) slabs, which is what I would recommend.

07JKSahara

I do too. If you don't play hard in the rocks, the rings should actually be fine without bending. They'll be hard to clean, but just like any beadlick or even a rock ring.

I think the wheels inside are similar (or at least both made by ATX/KMC) just the ring is different. Not 100% though.

bigtrucker52

The spyder locks are the wheels with the star shape on the ring. I recall Eddie telling me the rings would get caught on brush and debris which is why he modified the rings and now runs ATX (KMC) slabs, which is what I would recommend.

I can see them getting caught on debri. Do they offer the same color options for the rings though. I'm either looking into black rims with black painted or powdercoated rims or black rims with the billet rims. More than likely going the full black route since i want to black my jeep out

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ATX makes Spyderlocs for Spyderloc Wheels and they are essentially Slab's without the star in the middle of the bead lock ring. I LOVE the "look" of Sypderloc rings BUT, as mentioned, I had found them to get caught on tree roots and get bent up by repeated hard rock hits. Once bent up, they will throw off your balance. Before the Slabs came out, I eventually bought a new set of Spyderloc rings and had the stars machined out to prevent this from being a problem again. If you're just going for the looks and/or don't play on terrain that will prove to be a problem for them, you should be okay with them.

bigtrucker52

ATX makes Spyderlocs for Spyderloc Wheels and they are essentially Slab's without the star in the middle of the bead lock ring. I LOVE the "look" of Sypderloc rings BUT, as mentioned, I had found them to get caught on tree roots and get bent up by repeated hard rock hits. Once bent up, they will throw off your balance. Before the Slabs came out, I eventually bought a new set of Spyderloc rings and had the stars machined out to prevent this from being a problem again. If you're just going for the looks and/or don't play on terrain that will prove to be a problem for them, you should be okay with them.

I do plan on going out to East Tennessee to do some wheeling up in the Rockies but closer to home it's nothing major. It's mostly just stumps at most if anything

big dr

I love my Spyderlocks and have not had a problem with them getting hung up on anything,,, But I can see that happening in rare situations. What I have seen is the "Star" center ring does a great job of keeping rocks from coming into the rim to break a valve stem or hit my front hubs. I do have some decent little dings in the ring, but it isn't out of balance,,, YET. I say get what you like.

Top Bottom