Coilover install

noroad

So i am getting ready to start the install now that most of the parts are here, couple questions to start with before i kick it off this wedz/thurs. Question one being any helpful hints for installing the evo bolt coilovers, i would love to here or see. Question 2 is we got front lowers and rear uppers, any idea on what length to set them at? Question 3 what is the best height to run the coilovers at? we would like to be as low as we can as it is still on 35s for now? Question 4 how to set to that height i am a total noob when it comes to them, i understand that you have to spin the nob/ coil stop on the top down to lift?

Thanks for the insight!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have the color install files. I don't know if I would email then since you didn't buy from them.

noroad

I have the color install files. I don't know if I would email then since you didn't buy from them.

I have all the papers on how to install them Drew was nice enough to email them to me already! Im asking for tips and for the other reasons!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have all the papers on how to install them Drew was nice enough to email them to me already! Im asking for tips and for the other reasons!

Oh yeah, I was going to give you the color ones. But since you have them it's no biggie.
I do remember a coil over install thread awhile back..

noroad

Oh yeah, I was going to give you the color ones. But since you have them it's no biggie.
I do remember a coil over install thread awhile back..

I tried looking for it(think the ones you are talking about was pretty big) and i skimmed about 5 of them but had zero luck with any of my questions during the read.

Last edited:
There are a few threads that give pictures, hints and know how's. Happy to be a resource along the way if you need input. Should be simple enough if you have the PDF from Drew.

noroad

There are a few threads that give pictures, hints and know how's. Happy to be a resource along the way if you need input. Should be simple enough if you have the PDF from Drew.

ya. the install looks pretty straight forward. tips are just a question, mainly the control arm length and the best height to set them at are were my biggest questions are.

Both are addressed in the instructions. The bigger concern is to get the right caster in the front Diff. Refer to Eddies DIY alignment on how to get it dialed in.

noroad

Both are addressed in the instructions. The bigger concern is to get the right caster in the front Diff. Refer to Eddies DIY alignment on how to get it dialed in.

ya the length of the arms was for to the case question, ill try and find one of the gauges for that. But i re-read everything and it only say to start the fronts at 1.25 inch from the top, i was just wondering if there is a better ride at a specific point or just spin it to where ever i want.

noroad

Thats is the cool thing about CO's. Start at a point and dial it in for you.

Ok then guess that was a stupid question lol, told you i was a noob at c/o's. maybe ill get lucky and she wont like them on her jeep and i can have them! hahaha :cheesy:

Trail JK

The rear strengthening brackets are difficult to put in so lift the body up high. Rear co upper bracket bolts will cross thread easily so be careful there. We used superglue to hold washers to nuts in some cases and on the co's spacers. Carefully torque the rear strengthening brackets where it passes through the frame the frame will want to pinch together.

We set ours to sit as low as possible. We ended up needing to lift the front up higher because we were sitting on the bump stops in front. Now after adding the tire carrier we'll probably come up another inch in both front and rear but need a lift at this point to get all the tires off the ground.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your install. 👍

noroad

The rear strengthening brackets are difficult to put in so lift the body up high. Rear co upper bracket bolts will cross thread easily so be careful there. We used superglue to hold washers to nuts in some cases and on the co's spacers. Carefully torque the rear strengthening brackets where it passes through the frame the frame will want to pinch together.

We set ours to sit as low as possible. We ended up needing to lift the front up higher because we were sitting on the bump stops in front. Now after adding the tire carrier we'll probably come up another inch in both front and rear but need a lift at this point to get all the tires off the ground.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your install. 

Thank you for the tips!! This all good stuff!

Trail JK

Your swaybar endlinks should be parallel with level ground but you really don't adjust that until after you've set your ride hight. You may want to look at getting an adjustable set from ORE after your install. If you call Drew can tell you how to measure the size you'll need assuming you'll be using the rear endlinks for the fronts in the interim.

noroad

Your swaybar endlinks should be parallel with level ground but you really don't adjust that until after you've set your ride hight. You may want to look at getting an adjustable set from ORE after your install. If you call Drew can tell you how to measure the size you'll need assuming you'll be using the rear endlinks for the fronts in the interim.

ya i got the evo rear sway bar links that go up to like 15.9 and down, thanks for that ill adjust them after i figure the height out. for the front we just got JKS quick disconnects.

noroad

so couple more questions as i am warping up in the next couple days! Question one, i have wheel spacers that will put them at 3.25 back spacing, but i was wondering if for every day driving it would be ok to keep the spacers off and just run them at 4.75, then just put them on when wheeling to reduce some stress?
Question 2, is about the front coilover hose that goes to the bypass, i have it doing a lope behind the plastic shield then back out. will the heat hurt the hose? should i get some sort of heat shield? here is a pic with no plastic to show where im talking about and then one after its on.
2.jpg
4.jpg

BDP849

I have my hose doing the same thing, haven't had any issues so far.

My current wheels have 4in back spacing and are fine for the day to day.

noroad

Question for you guys what are the two silver rings? mine are really close to where i have it at and i was wondering if i can just move them down more? I need to spin the blue ring down more as my rig is level now but with gear i think it will sag. also i think i saw a black seal on the bottom of one of the silver rings whats that for?

oc6.jpg
oc3.jpg

Top Bottom