Off to the bone yard with ya!

jeff_in_rc

So a few of us were checking out a noise I was starting to get in the rear end and after draining the oil and pulling the diff cover we found metal shavings and small chunks in the oil and housing. Looks like the stock locker is self destructing! BTW the ring and pinion gears look fine. So the jeep is off to get the rear end rebuilt with a Detroit Locker and all new bearings and seals.

Now for those of you who have replaced their stock lockers with an aftermarket locker how do you keep the "rear locker" light from blinking when in 4 wheel drive? Is there a way to jumper the connection to always light the light as if you "locked" it?

Attachments

• 20150408_114110.jpg
    20150408_114110.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 168

jeff_in_rc

Problem solved

OK here is what I found last night. The installer told me he shorted the diff switch leads on the diff side of the connector, WRONG! He actually shorted them on the air pump side and once I removed the short the light went out! Woo hoo problem gone!

Now when I go into 4-low and I press the locker switch once the rear lock light blinks as it should but I found that if I short the leads now the light will come on steady. So if I want to be OCD I can install a simple switch to short the leads once I'm in 4-low and the light will be on steady.

And yes the front locker works just like it should in either situation, leads open and blinking rear light or leads shorted and rear light on steady. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions everyone!

BTW I will be calling several people that have told me the switch HAS to be connected or you will get the blinking light so they are informed and can pass it along to the next guy who does this.

Top Bottom