Cobra 75 WX ST

Does anyone run this CB? I was given it as a gift a couple years ago and want to put it in the Jeep. Can anyone show me how they mounted/ wired it? Or if anyone can direct me to a thread, that'd be nice too :thumb:

I switched to this unit and love it. I would recommend getting a small external speaker as it makes a world of difference. As far as mounting goes - Remove your glove box and you will see a metal support brace at the bottom - Just tie wrap it under there and you are good to go. A few companies make a mic holder that integrates with the passenger grab handle.

I switched to this unit and love it. I would recommend getting a small external speaker as it makes a world of difference. As far as mounting goes - Remove your glove box and you will see a metal support brace at the bottom - Just tie wrap it under there and you are good to go. A few companies make a mic holder that integrates with the passenger grab handle.

This is exactly where mine is.

I've seen that mount and love the way it looks! Who sells it? And does it ever get in the way of the passengers knees or anything like that?

Geronimo

Does anyone run this CB? I was given it as a gift a couple years ago and want to put it in the Jeep. Can anyone show me how they mounted/ wired it? Or if anyone can direct me to a thread, that'd be nice too :thumb:

Great CB as long as you are real careful to do the install with a quality antenna and have a good ground. You will want to get a SWR meter to tune your antenna. Right Channel Radio sells complete packages to get you set up without wasting money or damaging your equipment.

If you go to Right Channel Radio website you will actually find install guidelines for setting that radio up to get the best performance possible.

I had never touched a CB until just prior to a Jeep Jamboree we attended and a CB was required. Right Channel fixed us up and saved us a bunch of bucks. Instant crash course.

There is also a good U tube video of a fairly clean install of that very radio in a JKU. it shows running the coax cable through the roll bar cover from back door and then great place to run power from battery direct. Hope this helps, it certainly did us

EDIT: At Right Channel Radio go to the "learning center" (its a selection you can make near the top right), then select Jeep. You may be surprised.

Last edited:

ctlazer5

I am also seriously considering this CB. I have heard almost nothing but good reviews about it. On the subject of running an external speaker with it…is it that imperative? I have heard mixed reviews, some saying its fine without it but just might be a little hard to hear if your running doorless and stuff. But i have also heard people running it through an aux hookup and which runs through the factory sound system. Has anyone heard or done this?

ctlazer5

Great CB as long as you are real careful to do the install with a quality antenna and have a good ground. You will want to get a SWR meter to tune your antenna. Right Channel Radio sells complete packages to get you set up without wasting money or damaging your equipment.

If you go to Right Channel Radio website you will actually find install guidelines for setting that radio up to get the best performance possible.

I had never touched a CB until just prior to a Jeep Jamboree we attended and a CB was required. Right Channel fixed us up and saved us a bunch of bucks. Instant crash course.

There is also a good U tube video of a fairly clean install of that very radio in a JKU. it shows running the coax cable through the roll bar cover from back door and then great place to run power from battery direct. Hope this helps, it certainly did us

EDIT: At Right Chanel Radio got to the "learning center" (its a selection you can make near the top right), then select Jeep. You may be surprised.

Where would you get an SWR meter? Does Right Channel Radio sell one?

I am also seriously considering this CB. I have heard almost nothing but good reviews about it. On the subject of running an external speaker with it…is it that imperative? I have heard mixed reviews, some saying its fine without it but just might be a little hard to hear if your running doorless and stuff. But i have also heard people running it through an aux hookup and which runs through the factory sound system. Has anyone heard or done this?

When I had mine in my truck, I had it hooked up to my AUX cord and from what I remember, it worked great!

It works fine without a speaker but you have to have it turn way up so squelch breaks are annoying. The speaker makes it 100% better, you can pick one up at any truck stop for 15 bucks.

I have never tried the AUX option through the stereo but have heard it works well - you just lose the ability to listen to tunes which some don't care on the trail but it is a bummer when caravanning on the road.

The only downside to this radio no RF gain control so you only have squelch to block out the Skippers and High output users.

I have mine paired with a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. I switched from a full size Cobra LX with a Firestick antenna - both where tuned very well with SWR at 1.1 and I am getting twice the performance out of my current setup - A well tuned Antenna makes all the differance :beer:

Paired up with a good antenna and good swr. About how far will this radio get out and receive ?

There is no guarantee of range with any transmitter there are too many variables. You are limited to 4 watts from the radio so you need to use those watts the best you can.

Gleaned from the web:
--------------------------------------
Fiberglass Antennas - 2 to 7 miles
2' Length: 2 to 3 miles
3' Length: 3 to 4 miles
4' Length: 4 to 6 miles
5' Length: 5 to 7 miles

Center Load Antennas: 7 to 10 miles
---------------------------------------

Just to be clear transmit and receive range will vary dramatically based on conditions and the mounting location of the antenna. While Center Load antennas will often be longer in height a rough range of 7 to 10 miles is a good approximation of what you'll see from most models.

I have had crystal clear conversations traveling on the open road from 3 to 6 miles - and I have also been parked on the hill by my house and talked to Oceanside over 20 miles away with a radio check - I had a un obstructed view of Oceanside LOL!

chipper

I just wanted to make sure it had a decent range, it sounds like it does. I was thinking of just getting a handheld unit until I saw this thread. I'm just looking at different options.
Thanks.

ctlazer5

I plan on installing this CB in the very near future and was wondering what you guys would suggest for buying parts. Besides buying the radio itself and components that come with it, I assume some length of coax cable and what antenna would you recommend? I was thinking a 4'-5' firestik II with a tunable tip just wondering what your guys thoughts were and what materials I would need to get to install this. Thank you. :thumb:

I plan on installing this CB in the very near future and was wondering what you guys would suggest for buying parts. Besides buying the radio itself and components that come with it, I assume some length of coax cable and what antenna would you recommend? I was thinking a 4'-5' firestik II with a tunable tip just wondering what your guys thoughts were and what materials I would need to get to install this. Thank you. :thumb:

I would recommend a 15' coax (depending on how you're running it) and a antenna mount. Also I have not had any luck with the firestiks and the 75. I went to a Wilson 2000 and it's a night and day difference. I had a couple others in our group try the Wilson and they've switched as well. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the 75 or not but tuning it with the firestik never really gave good results. Also a cb mount if you want it by the passenger grab bar quadratec makes a nice mount for them. I'm not a fan of the auto retractable mounts because of the weight of the 75 vs a norma handset. It always bounces around.

Miramontes

I have this radio with an external speaker. I have not had any other so can't really compare. But It works good and it's compact.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would also recommend an external speaker.

x2 on this, I had the 75 and loved how compact and easy to use it is....but I had a really hard time hearing it with music or or people talking in the jeep. A lot of times on road on the way to rausch with some guys we tend to chat about stuff and I mainly had to hold it up all the time so I didnt miss something.

I may try a wilson antenna tho, bought a pre tuned white firestick and it was way off.

Top Bottom