Need help fast

Chad

Oh, and a friend of mine works on jeeps quite a bit was standing outside my jeep when I tried to start it. First words out of his mouth were 'Crankshaft position sensor'. Gave me a good start for my research to begin.

TheDuff

My old grand Cherokee had a intermittent starting issue like you described and would sometimes just die while driving. It progressed to the point of not even starting. Ended up being the crank sensor...

elray

Thanks for the help guys. Is there a way I can see if this is what's wrong without buying a new one?

Last edited:

elray

I checked on Amazon and their price for a Mopar brand CPS is REALLY expensive compared to other ones. A Duralast one from AutoZone is only $20. Thoughts?

Chad

My understanding is part that it is best to use the Mopar part for this particular sensor. Pricy, yes, about $56 at the dealership. I read of several part instances where non-Mopar part was used and the problems still persisted, only to be replaced with the Mopar part in the end. Better safe than sorry.

elray

Well I went Head and replaced the CPS with the Duralast one from AutoZone. It almost acted like it was going startup and you can imagine my excitement, and then it died again and still won't start.

Chad

Ugh, that sucks man, sorry. I guess you're at a point where you can either try the Mopar one, or it may be another issue altogether. Are you still showing any codes?

elray

Wasn't throwing me any codes... unless it'll give me a code without the check engine light coming on?

Last edited:

Chad

Its possible. Turn your ignition on/off three times without actually starting the engine, and look at your mileage display. If you're throwing a code, it will show there.

elray

Got error code 0645. Seems it has something to do with my A/C compressor... but would that cause it to not start?

Chad

That code is for an open circuit or short in your a/c clutch relay, but shouldn't keep the jeep from starting. It usually just keeps the check engine light on. You can try to disconnect your battery for 30 minutes and see if the code goes away. It may not, due to the short. If it doesn't start after that, as much as I hate to say it, its probably time to get a tow to the shop.

elray

Well I decided on getting it towed to a garage. My next question is this: Once they tell me what's wrong with my Jeep, should I get it towed back home and do it myself? Or should I just pay them to do it? I realize that it will still cost me money for them to tell me what's wrong with it, but would it be worth it in your opinion to do it myself? Thanks.

David1tontj

Well I decided on getting it towed to a garage. My next question is this: Once they tell me what's wrong with my Jeep, should I get it towed back home and do it myself? Or should I just pay them to do it? I realize that it will still cost me money for them to tell me what's wrong with it, but would it be worth it in your opinion to do it myself? Thanks.

The shop might want to keep it to make sure their diagnostic is correct. I'd say it depends how much they want to fix it.

Chad

Honestly, I think it depends on what the main issue is and how technically/mechanically sound you are, and what you are comfortable working on. Depends on the repair cost also. Good luck! Please let us know what they find, I'm really curious. Mine went into the dealership yesterday, all four axle seals are leaking. Always something with a jeep!

elray

Talked to them today and they said either some kind of wire is lose or broken on the fuel pump, or it's the fuel pump itself. He did tell me that if it is the fuel pump that with labor it'll only be about $400... Which is significantly less than what another place told me it would be for parts and labor to replace the fuel pump. At any rate, Thanks for the support guys.

David1tontj

Talked to them today and they said either some kind of wire is lose or broken on the fuel pump, or it's the fuel pump itself. He did tell me that if it is the fuel pump that with labor it'll only be about $400... Which is significantly less than what another place told me it would be for parts and labor to replace the fuel pump. At any rate, Thanks for the support guys.

If only someone had mentioned that the first day! 😁😁
I hope that fixes it for you so you can get behind the wheel again.

Keep us posted!

Chad

At least you have an idea now. If they're correct, that would definitely be the issue with the jeep not starting. Keep us posted please.

Top Bottom