Lockers

raiderz628

I have a 2006 Jeep TJ it has Dana 35 in the rear and a Dana 30 in the front. I am wanting to put a rear locker in I am thinking about a Detroit soft locker or electric but I am on a budget so the soft locker is kind of winning. This is my daily driver I have only been stuck once but want to be able to off road a little harder than I do now. I haven't bought a winch yet I think a locker would be better. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone

David1tontj

I know you said you were on a budget, but that rear axle is really going to hold you back and be a weak spot. I would recommend wheeling it the way it is and saving for an axle swap. I had about 2500 bucks in my rear d35and it still sucked. Arb, 456, and warn full float kit with hubs on rear..

A good, and cheap axle for you to look for would be the ford 8.8. They were in ford explorers so there are a billion of them out there. It's a dana 44- so it'll take tons of abuse. Lots of them came with factory limited slips, and they are the right bolt pattern for your Tj. Also about the same width.

Think about it.

Another thought- run that d35 open, and get the winch. The axle would hold up way better without a locker.

Last edited:

dillard09

Yes like David said the 8.8 is a great little axle. You can pick one up in a local pick a part for cheap. Put a truss on it for the TJ and bolt it in. They did come with 31 spline, limited slip, 4:10 and disc brakes. It is same bolt pattern and width as TJ. I had one in my YJ. I had East Coast Gear build it. I had it at my door for less than 2000 with a Detroit locker and 4.56. I beat that thing up and it never gave up.

raiderz628

Sounds like a option

I know you said you were on a budget, but that rear axle is really going to hold you back and be a weak spot. I would recommend wheeling it the way it is and saving for an axle swap. I had about 2500 bucks in my rear d35and it still sucked. Arb, 456, and warn full float kit with hubs on rear..

A good, and cheap axle for you to look for would be the ford 8.8. They were in ford explorers so there are a billion of them out there. It's a dana 44- so it'll take tons of abuse. Lots of them came with factory limited slips, and they are the right bolt pattern for your Tj. Also about the same width.

Think about it.

Another thought- run that d35 open, and get the winch. The axle would hold up way better without a locker.
Sounds like a option I'll look into it and save money up.
Thanks for the feedback I am pretty new to the Jeep scene and I am learning as I go.

Moabbnd

Don't lock the 35

There are many options for the 8.8 swap. Look into East coast gear supply. They supply built to order bolt in 8.8s for TJs. Otherwise you can source an 8.8 from a yard. Artec makes a nice truss to weld to the 8.8. It makes it so the 8.8 can bolt into the TJ and is super detailed, which makes it easy to install if you own a welder.

Otherwise, find a TJ 44

Top Bottom