Manual or Automatic Trans. What's a Newb to do?

mtnjp

The only reason I got the auto is it was cheaper at the time. I think its sluggish and has stupid shift points. Looking back I would have popped for the stick. This is my ninth jeep and my first and last auto. Unless they stop making sticks..........:eek:

RjSkippy

Tested both.. I can see where the auto has its advantages but the manual is my preference to drive. I like having control of which gear i'm in, especially in the snow.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
If you're looking for a passionate defense of one versus the other, I submit to you this..

http://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-automatic-versus-manual-transmissions.html

That said, I have to say a MANual transmission is the way to go. Nothing like jamming through gears and just feeling the raw power at your fingertips! Plus it's easier to get unstuck, should that happen. And you don't need to jump start you battery, if it dies.

Except if you have an auto, the babe will be with me after she sees me driving like a man :cheesy:

How's that for my inaugural WAL post? I tried to incorporate the proper amount of fact, humor, a quote, and some smileys.... :thankyou:

I liked this link a lot! Thanks TomJK and by the way your post does have a the necessary components! :)

JamesWyatt

Good point? I've read and heard that the 6 speed manual is a bit like rowing a boat up river?

More like an old farm truck in mud. But that was my 2011 and the dog 3.8L motor.

Pretty sure the auto puts more power to the ground or Jeep would make 3.73 gears standard on the Rubicon manuals like they are on the autos.

USMCvet

Banned
The eternal debate rages on: Auto or Manual - which is faster on the drag strip? which is better in the desert? which works for a 4x4?

It's been proven time and time again, you can't beat an auto for a 1/4 mile. In an off road application, it all depends on the individual. Because of my service connected injuries, my only choice is an automatic and I'm good with that. Im set up my JKUR specific to that platform. If the vehicle is yours and only yours and you want a manual, then go for it. But if you're going to use it as a daily driver in L.A. Traffic and the wife is using it to commute as well, a manual may cause "issues" so keep that in mind. Now my CJ2A is a manual but I'm in the process of doing a hydraulic clutch conversion and it's not a daily driver, and my wife will drive it with no complaints. So long story long, it's a matter of personal preference, driving situation, and how you are going to use the vehicle in sum total.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Results Are In....

Survey Says:

Manual Transmission = 65%

Automatic Transmission = 35%

A bit surprising since many admittedly said that the auto was easier for wheeling, but they still prefer the manual.

Thanks for the input! As for me... I will end up taking both for a run around the block, consider off-road and daily driver issues, cost and availability.

My favorite points were:

Pro Manual - "Feel the Power", "Less Borrowing"

Pro Auto - "Drive & Go no matter the terrain"

My own Pro Manual point is the following: Imagine a sunny morning working in the yard. Your Jeep is parked in the garage with the top down. You realize that you need to make a run to the hardware store, grab the keys and as you enter the garage you come to find out that your ride is at the grocery store - bummer! Manual trans would deter the wife and daughter from swiping my ride. ;)

Dalton gang

True that! The wife and oldest daughter never swipe my ride , the younger daughter's starting to dig it though .

JeepJeep75

One other kind of far off point to think about: most young drivers these days are less likely to know how to drive a stick. So statistically speaking, the car thief roaming through your neighborhood is gonna pass on a manual, and steal the auto instead.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I love my manual. I went with it because I have had other vehicles with autos and when the transmission goes, it goes. Since I plan on doing overlanding, sometime with no other vehicles around, it's nice to know I can bump start it if the battery dies. That being said, it sucks around town and in traffic. But I still love shifting, and enjoy keeping myself occupied while driving just by..well, DRIVING. When I move out west and start rock crawling, I am going to pick up a 2 door with an auto. There's quite a learning curve with shift points and other things when off-roading the manual, but once I got the hang of it, the days of burnt clutch smell and stalls on hills were over.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One other kind of far off point to think about: most young drivers these days are less likely to know how to drive a stick. So statistically speaking, the car thief roaming through your neighborhood is gonna pass on a manual, and steal the auto instead.

This is a very valid point and one I've thought about over the years being that ALL our rigs had been manuals - or, at least up until now.

Since I plan on doing overlanding, sometime with no other vehicles around, it's nice to know I can bump start it if the battery dies.

I still have no clue what "overlanding" is but being able to bump start a manual is always a huge bonus over an auto regardless of where you are.

When I move out west and start rock crawling, I am going to pick up a 2 door with an auto. There's quite a learning curve with shift points and other things when off-roading the manual, but once I got the hang of it, the days of burnt clutch smell and stalls on hills were over.

Burning out a clutch is a rookie thing and something you can learn not to do. But, if you're not stalling out anymore, you're not playing on hard enough terrain.

I love manuals and still prefer them but without question, an automatic will spank a manual on big rocks.

Warebear

Every person I talk to swears by the auto. Supposedly easier to wheel and good for cruising.

That's great, but life isn't easy and it's a jeep not a station wagon. Granted the jku is probably almost as long. I really like my manual. The new ones have a hill assist feature that will lock the brakes for a few seconds to prevent rolling. I prefer to select the gears instead of a computer handling the whole operation.

The down side is you can't get remote start on a manual and if you have a weak left leg it might get tired. :( Offroading does require a little more skill. I like that part. I haven't been offroad in an auto and don't plan on starting anytime soon.

I'm with this guy. While some of the biggest baddest rigs are running auto, all the way up to the Baja rigs and King of the hammers, I would be pretty hard for me to give up my manual. Haha but like it says, life isn't easy and it's a jeep.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I still have no clue what "overlanding" is but being able to bump start a manual is always a huge bonus over an auto regardless of where you are.
Here is how the Overland Journal defines it: "Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose."
Granted, I have not traveled internationally, so maybe I should refer to it another way...lol.

rich67

Caught the Bug
Burning out a clutch is a rookie thing and something you can learn not to do. But, if you're not stalling out anymore, you're not playing on hard enough terrain.

You are definitely correct there...Florida is too flat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with this guy. While some of the biggest baddest rigs are running auto, all the way up to the Baja rigs and King of the hammers, I would be pretty hard for me to give up my manual. Haha but like it says, life isn't easy and it's a jeep.

How about lockers? I mean, being that life isn't easy and it's a Jeep, why not wheel all the hardest stuff with open diffs? :idontknow:

Top Bottom