Sway bar arms

hbkid22

So my buddy has issues with reconnecting his quick disconnects on his JK after he had the shop install it all....Question I have: Should the JKS links be the same length on each side or can they be different? If they should be same length how can you adjust the angle of the arm itself? His will not move after being on the trail to reconnect as the gap seems to widen and it will not move closer. Trying to figure out the best option for him......

noroad

how far off is it? and are they the same length now? have you tried having one person push down on the bumper or rock the jeep a little?(if it is a small gap)

hbkid22

how far off is it? and are they the same length now? have you tried having one person push down on the bumper or rock the jeep a little?(if it is a small gap)

It was off a couple inches last time and we could not pull the sway bar link down to line up. We have in the past had to drive his jeep on a rock to bring them together enough to hammer the disconnect on.

When you get back on somewhat flat ground they oughtta be close enough that pushing on the side of the jeep or rocking it, it will line up. To my knowledge they should be the same length and when both unhooked, the bar should move freely

hbkid22

When you get back on somewhat flat ground they oughtta be close enough that pushing on the side of the jeep or rocking it, it will line up. To my knowledge they should be the same length and when both unhooked, the bar should move freely

That is what I thought but his driver side bar does not move freely so we cannot move it to line up....Not sure if it needs to be greased or what but that is the issue even on flat ground.

ctlazer5

I have the JKS quick disconnects and I have experienced this scare. However the couple of times it has happened I have moved my jeep to make sure I was on flat ground and then I didn't have an issue at all. Flat ground was my solution. Also mine are roughly adjusted to the same length. Hope this helps.

That is what I thought but his driver side bar does not move freely so we cannot move it to line up....Not sure if it needs to be greased or what but that is the issue even on flat ground.

Your saying the sway bar itself wont move up or down on just the drivers side? Its one continuous bar on the non rubis so im assuming you also mean the passenger side wont move either?

hbkid22

Your saying the sway bar itself wont move up or down on just the drivers side? Its one continuous bar on the non rubis so im assuming you also mean the passenger side wont move either?

We are able to hook up the passenger side with ease but then the driver side is still off a couple inches. He is coming over tonight and I am going to dig into it a little more but if its one continuous arm I need to check his lengths.

We are able to hook up the passenger side with ease but then the driver side is still off a couple inches. He is coming over tonight and I am going to dig into it a little more but if its one continuous arm I need to check his lengths.

Yeah sounds to me like one of them is adjusted wrong. All things being normal, geometry class says they have to line up, or at least be close. Id check link length first.

ctlazer5

Yes as stated earlier it is one continuous bar so again flat ground should be the answer and his disconnects must be adjusted at different lengths for this to be happening.

jesse3638

Hooked
Yes as stated earlier it is one continuous bar so again flat ground should be the answer and his disconnects must be adjusted at different lengths for this to be happening.

Because of this in case you hadn't thought about it once one side is connected the bar wont be able to move anymore. That's why flat ground and rocking the jeep after one side is connected works best.

ctlazer5

Because of this in case you hadn't thought about it once one side is connected the bar wont be able to move anymore. That's why flat ground and rocking the jeep after one side is connected works best.

True, but if both disconnects were adjusted to the same length and the jeep was on flat ground wouldn't they just be able to re-connect? :thinking:

jesse3638

Hooked
True, but if both disconnects were adjusted to the same length and the jeep was on flat ground wouldn't they just be able to re-connect? :thinking:

In theory yes. But it still may take a little rocking to get the pins back through. If they are way off on flat ground good chance is they aren't the same length.

Clem319

They need to be adjusted correctly.. My sway bar and mounts are bent so one side is almost 1/2 inch higher. They come off and on easy because they are adjusted correctly

Top Bottom