Stuck between a stick and a hardtop

Spencer11496

According to the parents it's about time to trade in the jeep and get something more practical. Something with four doors and without zippered windows. So, being the jeep lover that I am I suggested a jku with a hardtop.

Well, I've found two options

Option 1:
2007 JKU X
75k miles
6spd
Hardtop
Suspension lift of some sort (no visible markings)
33" nitto terra grapplers
18" Moto metal rims
Manual locks and windows
No cruise control

Option 2:
2008 JKU Sahara
Unknown miles
Auto
Hardtop
Leveling kit
31" tires
Some nice 17" wheels
Power locks and windows
Cruise control
Infinity sound system

Hit me with your opinions

EDIT: Mod-ability is a huge factor for me because I plan on using the jeep as a jeep. Thanks

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I wish! But they said I have to get a 4 door, and when they're paying insurance, what they say goes

Well that is a bummer. Why are those two your only options? Is a 2012 and above, to expencive?

If I had to pick one of your options it would be the 6spd, only because it makes the 3.8 a little bit more lively.

Spencer11496

Well that is a bummer. Why are those two your only options? Is a 2012 and above, to expencive?

If I had to pick one of your options it would be the 6spd, only because it makes the 3.8 a little bit more lively.

Yes, sadly price is a factor. I would love the 3.6 but that isn't going to happen. I'm fine with driving a stick, my first jeep, a 2001 i6 TJ, was a stick, the auto just has more features, but then again the stick is cheaper with less miles.

So you see the dilemma I'm in. Haha

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I would, it wouldn't be an issue of I were only insured on my jeep, but they also want me covered on the truck and the car.

Crap, is insurance for a high school grad so damn much that your rents would rather get another Jeep than just pay?

Looks like I'm getting my kids bicycles. Lol

Spencer11496

Crap, is insurance for a high school grad so damn much that your rents would rather get another Jeep than just pay?

Looks like I'm getting my kids bicycles. Lol

It's a lot with their mid life crisis cars…dads got a 2012 platinum f150 ecoboost and moms got a 2011 Audi s5 convertible. But that's none of my business. I'm just grateful that they're so willing to help keep me in a jeep and not put me in a civic

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It's a lot with their mid life crisis cars…dads got a 2012 platinum f150 ecoboost and moms got a 2011 Audi s5 convertible. But that's none of my business. I'm just grateful that they're so willing to help keep me in a jeep and not put me in a civic

Lol Fair enough.

In an effort to keep this a little more on topic, unless you need to do this trade tomorrow Id keep looking. Try to find one that is as close to stock as possible. It normally means that the previous owners didn't off road or abuse it. If you get the 6spd, I'd try to get rid of the 18" rims. Tires for that wheel size are so much more expencive than 17".

Spencer11496

Lol Fair enough.

In an effort to keep this a little more on topic, unless you need to do this trade tomorrow Id keep looking. Try to find one that is as close to stock as possible. It normally means that the previous owners didn't off road or abuse it. If you get the 6spd, I'd try to get rid of the 18" rims. Tires for that wheel size are so much more expencive than 17".

Well actually it needs to happen soon, already have the check from navy federal. I'm leaning more toward the auto as of this second because it is so stock and has the 17" rims. Whoever owned it just prettied it up with some chrome.

Thanks!

Napalm

My two cents would be to buy something that hasn't already been modded unless you can trace the history of the work. Reason I say this, because my last Jeep needed a rear axle replacement after 500 miles due to the previous owner.

Needless to say the next Jeep I bought, was brand new.

Either way, buy what suits you and what you like best. Stick shifts are fun and there are some days I wish mine was a stick, but they do get old.

How many miles does the Sahara have ?

Spencer11496

My two cents would be to buy something that hasn't already been modded unless you can trace the history of the work. Reason I say this, because my last Jeep needed a rear axle replacement after 500 miles due to the previous owner.

Needless to say the next Jeep I bought, was brand new.

Either way, buy what suits you and what you like best. Stick shifts are fun and there are some days I wish mine was a stick, but they do get old.

How many miles does the Sahara have ?

Sahara has 90,000 miles and from an inspection just has some bling and a leveling kit

Ceithre

Insurance sucks... I pay $165 a month for full coverage 1k / 1k deducible and I'm 20. let me add that I have never been pulled over. no tickets no accidents nothing! highway robbery I tell you! rant over back on topic i'd go with Sahara because its an auto much more relaxing to drive IMO, Also if the previous owner added chrome there is a good chance it was probably a mall crawler so you shouldn't have to worry about the abuse. good luck!

Grubbicon

I would probably have to go for the sahara if I had to go with one of the two. As others have said a stick is fun to drive but over time thats gonna get old.

Spencer11496

Time for an update! The Sahara has been priced at $25,900. Which is out of my budget so I'm currently test driving the stick. I like it, I had forgotten how much fun it was. The only problem with the jeep is that it has the death wobble when slowing down if I use the brakes. I've told the salesman and he has assured me that it will get fixed. From my research and a visual inspection I'm guessing it's the ball joints.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Time for an update! The Sahara has been priced at $25,900. Which is out of my budget so I'm currently test driving the stick. I like it, I had forgotten how much fun it was. The only problem with the jeep is that it has the death wobble when slowing down if I use the brakes. I've told the salesman and he has assured me that it will get fixed. From my research and a visual inspection I'm guessing it's the ball joints.

If it's only when you use the brakes then it probably has warped rotors.

Spencer11496

If it's only when you use the brakes then it probably has warped rotors.

Good call! Completely forgot about those, but it also starts to do a little shimmy without braking. I'm trying to get an idea so I can tell the shop what the issue most likely is, because I WANT THIS JEEP.

Top Bottom