Rear sway bar nut/bolt replacement??

JAGS

Hooked
So on the way home from Moab/Vegas wife and I made a stop in Barstow. After pulling out of the gas station driveway I heard clunk. Thought it was coming from the front.

Between Vegas and Barstow it was driving fine on the freeway up to 80mpg. I pulled over and inspected everything and didn't see anything loose. Nothing out of place.

Got into my home town a few minutes ago and made a few stops. Noticed the same clunky noise and again when pulling in the casa driveway.

This time I thought it might be coming from the rear after a few tests in my driveway. Sure enough. Rear sway bar bolt nut is missing and the bolt somehow hung on since god knows when.

So my question is... Where can I get a proper bolt/nut replacement or just a nut for the existing stock bolt? In the meantime, I'm guessing I shouldn't drive around with it like this, so should I just zip tie the two together.

Here's some pics of what I'm seeing. Thanks for any help.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429487197.048744.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429487209.545351.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429487222.070364.jpg

JeepFan

Hooked
Bummer. I just might have that one. You could probably pick up a temporary nut and bolt at Home Depot

MTG

Caught the Bug
It will be a little squirrely (industry term) without it being attached, but you can drive it as long as they are properly secured. You can get a nut at the dealer or just take your other side down to Home Depot and get one in the right size. I'm no mechanic, but I don't see why you couldn't do that.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Take the nut from your shock bolt.

Just pull the link until you can get the right nut. Leave the other side attached. It won't hurt anything.

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks all for the quick help. 👍🏼👍🏼 After looking at it a little closer, the threads are jacked on the stock bolt. So will need both.

I think I'll put it back through the sway bar and zip tie as a quick fix.

You guys happen to know what size/grade that bolt might be. Or better to just get a stock/factory from the dealer?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks all for the quick help. 👍🏼👍🏼 After looking at it a little closer, the threads are jacked on the stock bolt. So will need both.

I think I'll put it back through the sway bar and zip tie as a quick fix.

You guys happen to know what size/grade that bolt might be. Or better to just get a stock/factory from the dealer?

You really think the weight of your jeep and its movement will be able to be sustained by a zip tie?

JeepFan

Hooked
Your best bet is to pick up a temporary nut and bolt from Napa and order a factory nut and bolt from the dealer. Sorry, I don't know the size off hand.

Take the other nut and bolt to Napa so they can match it up. It's probably loose too. Lol

JAGS

Hooked
You really think the weight of your jeep and its movement will be able to be sustained by a zip tie?

Ha. Yeah, prob not. 😁 lol. But this is the only vehicle I have. So what do I do in the meantime with the link and sway bar so I can drive it to get replacements.

JRied

I'll check my garage. I have all those bolts and control arms etc etc. if I find it you can have it

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've ran several vehicles with out the sway bar. I would think you would be fine if you pulled the one link and left the other one in place like Overlander said.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ha. Yeah, prob not. 😁 lol. But this is the only vehicle I have. So what do I do in the meantime with the link and sway bar so I can drive it to get replacements.

As I said earlier, remove the link with the missing nut. Just take the bottom bolt and nut off and run with one side. You'll be fine.

JAGS

Hooked
Pulled the drivers side rear link. In doing so, discovered it is ovaled a bit on the bottom and not so decent on the top either where the nut was missing.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429560146.731204.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429560164.638522.jpg

Talking to drew about replacement. Might just go with EVO HD links.

Top Bottom