Arb twin air compressor set up

wharfrat1121

Fairly new to forum so thank you in advance for any help insight you can provide.

I recently installed the ARB on-board twin air compressor and mounted it in the enigine bay using the MORE bracket. I am using it for just air up tires for know as I do not have any lockers as of yet. I am looking for some ideas/suggestions to run a hose from the compressor to maybe just under the wheel well. My first concern is that it obviously gets very hot in the enigine compartment so I am wondering what kind of hose would you use and where have you guys mounted it so you dont have to open the hood everytime I want to inflate.

Again any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would want to have my hood open while using the compressor after a day of wheeling due to the heat already under the hood, but not a bad idea to run the hose somewhere to make it a little easier. My compressor is under my passenger seat which is a pain so I may end up running a hose like your thinking about.

wharfrat1121

Thanks guys.. I'll check out your responses when I get home tonight. Boss just walked through the door.
Appreciate your help

wharfrat1121

I would use a real air hose one that would be used on a shop compressor. I tried to use a cheap plastic air line and it popped due to the arb compressor putting out to much pressure for it.

I bought an 8 foot air hose from harbor freight and it works great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...8-ft-15-ft-rubber-air-hose-remnant-61942.html

Thanks Oscarmike! I was more worried about the temperature then the pressure per say. I was thinking of using some kind of stainless steel braided hose like they have for the manifold kit but wasn't exactly sure what I needed. I have a short harbor freight compressor hose laying around still in the package. I will give that a try if you say yours is holding up to the heat with no problems.

Heres a pic of those hose on it now.
View attachment 138673

I also put a chuck in my bumper. I have some more detailed pics in my build thread check it out.

definitely going to do this. Love this idea. On your build thread I didn't see a coupling attached to the compressor after you ran the hose. Are you having any clearance issues with the hood?

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?22731-My-way-to-fast-build-of-Oscar

I would want to have my hood open while using the compressor after a day of wheeling due to the heat already under the hood, but not a bad idea to run the hose somewhere to make it a little easier. My compressor is under my passenger seat which is a pain so I may end up running a hose like your thinking about.

completely understand Hinrichs. Most of my trips will be to Rausch and as you know they have some airing stations there. I will probably use the on-board more often after beach runs where I have been sitting around fishing for a couple of hours. Check out oscarmikes build. Love the way he but it through his bumper!

Fitzbsly

I also mounted my ARB twin under hood and ended up mounting Viair tank in rear ( where muffler was). My advice, as I learned the hard way is that you need to get a good quality rubber hose. I got a Goodyear hose and basically ran it along side of the frame to the air tank.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429682553.956333.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429682587.609843.jpg

jjlong

I ran the hose along the frame rail with no heat problems. Used a 90° adapter at the bumper. Word to wise...don't point the disconnect upward, the hose pressure will knock your teeth out!

Attachments

• 1429683452664.jpg
    1429683452664.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 1429683476713.jpg
    1429683476713.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 424

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
completely understand Hinrichs. Most of my trips will be to Rausch and as you know they have some airing stations there. I will probably use the on-board more often after beach runs where I have been sitting around fishing for a couple of hours. Check out oscarmikes build. Love the way he but it through his bumper!

Well a 2 door under seat is a lot different cuz it has to be flipped forward so when its cold a passenger can be kinda angry. Oh btw the arb hose does fit onto the air station at rausch just incase....usually full tho so I just air up in the lot myself.

thadeus618

Well a 2 door under seat is a lot different cuz it has to be flipped forward so when its cold a passenger can be kinda angry. Oh btw the arb hose does fit onto the air station at rausch just incase....usually full tho so I just air up in the lot myself.

Had mine overheat and stop working in that same under the hood location with the MORE bracket. It was after wheeling all day. Tried it the next day and it worked fine but from now on I will open the hood first before airing up 4 tires.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Had mine overheat and stop working in that same under the hood location with the MORE bracket. It was after wheeling all day. Tried it the next day and it worked fine but from now on I will open the hood first before airing up 4 tires.

Thats exactly why I did the underseat mount, when I had my smaller viar I couldnt even put the hose on it was so hot typically and couldnt handle more than 6 35s. I wanted to mount it in the back of the jeep, but didnt feel like extending all the wires for it.

spicoli

I made a quick bracket out of some scrap 1/16" stainless sheet metal and used some metal fittings from SMC and got some high temp tubing (1/4"ID and 3/8"OD). Works great and I think looks super clean. Tubing wasn't super flexible so I ran it back down and then up to meet ARB chuck QR.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429860783.378571.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429860834.919110.jpg

ScoobyCarolanNC

First thread I've seen that goes into a lot of detail here on compressor placement. How long y'all been running them under the hood? Any worry about water damage or premature wear due to heat? I admit I don't know much about the ARB in the first place so maybe these are dumb questions.

dyn0mitemat

I've got one i mounted behind the passenger seat. Its on the side of the tube (right behind the b-pillar). Doesn't interfere with any storage boxes or drawers as it doesn't stick out any further than the wheel wheels, nice fit and it doesn't get hot.

Arb says the twin can be mounted in the engine bay and can take the heat, water, mud etc... But after paying a pretty penny for it, I couldn't see putting it there when I didn't have to.

Something to help as well with mounting under the hood is you guys can reroute the intake & air filters for the pump up into the cowl or somewhere where there's fresh air.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Ive seen a few pics of land rovers running them mounted under the body. I can see them being sealed very well, but I dont see how the cooling fan can hold up to water...not like youd have it running under water but still if youd need your locker it could be an issue.

wharfrat1121

First thread I've seen that goes into a lot of detail here on compressor placement. How long y'all been running them under the hood? Any worry about water damage or premature wear due to heat? I admit I don't know much about the ARB in the first place so maybe these are dumb questions.

I havent had the compressor long but I will weigh in with my thoughts. If you mount the compressor in the engine (not saying this is the best place) it rest on top. You shouldnt have any problems with water and if you do I would think the compressor would be the last of your worries. Like you I am concerned with the heat. I read somewhere that there is a saftey feature built in the compressor and if it becomes to hot it will shut off and you will not be able to use it for a half an hour. Hope that help.

Keep the pictures coming guys. I probably going to do a quick run this weekend and then decide where to permantely run the air hose and put the coupler.

Thanks for the all responses.

Top Bottom