Rear axel pressure release hose? Help!!

socalrubi

I started smelling gear oil and I noticed that my frame and leaf springs are wet looking. I noticed that there is a valve looking thing,I don't know what this thing is, going from my axel to near my gas tank. Can someone tell me what this is and why gear oil is coming out?? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429648853.728708.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429648862.001604.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429648871.254910.jpg

Tanner505

It's your axle breather tube and the most common reason why differential fluid would be coming out is because it was over filled

If this is something new it is worth trying to find an IR temperature gun and monitor different areas of the differential housing. the oil will expand more when it is hot. If a bearing is going bad it will get hotter.

Also, how long has your ARB locker been installed? If oil is not flowing back into the differential sufficiently past the locker slip ring it could cause the tube to become over full and starve the housing of oil. I recently learned this the very hard and expensive way.

socalrubi

If this is something new it is worth trying to find an IR temperature gun and monitor different areas of the differential housing. the oil will expand more when it is hot. If a bearing is going bad it will get hotter.

Also, how long has your ARB locker been installed? If oil is not flowing back into the differential sufficiently past the locker slip ring it could cause the tube to become over full and starve the housing of oil. I recently learned this the very hard and expensive way.

Not too sure how long it's been in..it was in when I bought it. Should I take the diff cover off drain it and fill it? How would I fix the problem of it is starving the housing?

Not too sure how long it's been in..it was in when I bought it. Should I take the diff cover off drain it and fill it? How would I fix the problem of it is starving the housing?

If it were an ARB install issue it would've showed up withing a few hundred miles..... Mine didn't make it to 100.

Beafire

Water?

Have you been doing any deep water crossing? Oil sits on top of the water and when your axle heats up out the tube come the oil. Pull the diff cover and take a look. You might have what looks like a milk shake!

socalrubi

No I haven't been in any water deeper than the bottom of my rim. I ended up changing my diff oil. Everything looked fine and it hasn't done it again.

Top Bottom