JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

dwvninety

I used to use an iPad2 with a Bad Elf GPS and MotionX HD GPS. Now I have ordered an Ipad Air 2 with build in Wi-Fi and Cellular for the built in GPS and Glonass.

jhires

I have both Trimble GPS and Gaia GPS. Gaia GPS hands down is the winner. Just be sure to have all your maps cached before hand in either case. Though both aps have crashed on my on longer trips. Gaia seems to crash more when it is set to have direction of travel as up instead of north is up.
I use it in conjuntion with the nav system in my jeep.

I also have Waze for on the road. It has saved me lots of $$$ in tickets thanks to other people updating it real time with speed trap locations.

Google Earth is kind of fun and helps with planning longer routes. I've also used it to help plan camp sites because you can see the terrain and how isolated it might be. But it is nowhere near as useful as the desktop version.

There are a few other aps out there that are designed to work with an external GPS as well, although I've never had a problem with the GPS that my ipad has.

Right now I have an iPad Mini mounted on a Ram Mount attached to the grab bar. This is MUCH better than using a suction cup mount in the Window. Once I get around to getting a bracket for my full sized iPad I will probably switch to that.
ipad2.jpg

ipad1.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The Maplets app has been pretty helpful because you can download the maps ahead of time and it doesn't require a cell signal while on the trail. But that being said, you're at the mercy of the quality of maps that can be downloaded. I used it at Rausch Creek and it was helpful, but it would have been even better if the trails were listed.

Obviously this isn't the app for you if you're just going exploring and not doing an offroad park.

DangerDan

Ipad 3 + GPS app - Which one?

I have a non-cellular ipad mini. What gps receiver in do I need?

Last edited:

JK LYF

Recommended App For Trail Navigation

Looking for a recommended iPhone/IPad app that shows a variety of trails, directions, navigation, etc. What are you using out there that works well? Free or paid.

Thanks.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I use "GPS Kit"
Works well for me.
I have a BadElf accessory that gives my phone GPS data via Bluetooth.
I'm happy with it
Gaia might be better but I am familiar with GPS kit.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I've been using Gaia. Works great. Download the maps you need in advance and you're good to go. The maps that come with the paid app are pretty decent. I've also used MotionX and it's pretty good too.

JK LYF

I've been using Gaia. Works great. Download the maps you need in advance and you're good to go. The maps that come with the paid app are pretty decent. I've also used MotionX and it's pretty good too.

Cool. Motionx is the free one correct?

Alex909

Leadnav gps is a pretty cool app. It is only available for iPhones. I believe it costs around $20. Here's a screenshot ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429682052.750739.jpg

Bryantengland14

Off-road Mapping

I'm looking for some kind of offline mapping GPS system for my trail riding. It can be Apple, android or windows. No idea what to use.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I use back country navigator. I paid 10 bucks for the pro version that lets you download the areas. That way when you don't have service, it still works. In the mountains I use the 2013 forest service map package. Cal-topo is a little off on the roads here for some reason.

OJK12

Does any of them allow you to add as a favorite trail to remember for later and upload existing maps to use to navigate around?

Top Bottom