Steering Stabilizer Leak

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I was under the Jeep the other day and noticed oil leaking from the stock steering stabilizer. I would assume this means it blew a seal somewhere. I actually had the Jeep in the shop for an exhaust repair and alignment but forgot to mention the leaky steering stabilizer. It looks like the mechanic wiped it but I'm not sure how to tell if it got repaired...I know it wasn't replaced.

My primary question here is should it be replaced or is it ok to drive it like this? I haven't really noticed any difference in steering. If it needs to be replaced, what is a good after market stabilizer? I am currently running all stock suspension and tires but would like to move up to 35s with a lift.

Any ideas would be appreciated IMG_2133.jpg !

Thanks

John

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it can't be repaired, it'll need to be replaced. it'll be fine for a while but, once enough oil is lost, it'll start seizing up.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Ok will do! Thanks for the info Eddie.

If I'm going to have to buy a new one, is there an aftermarket that is better than just the stock stabilizer? One that I could buy in preparation for the lift or will it need to be changed when I lift it anyway? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok will do! Thanks for the info Eddie.

If I'm going to have to buy a new one, is there an aftermarket that is better than just the stock stabilizer? One that I could buy in preparation for the lift or will it need to be changed when I lift it anyway? :thinking:

honestly, i personally like the 2010-up OEM stabilizer a lot. but, just about anything out there will do the job as well. with the exception of the new fox stablizer that's coming out, i don't like gas charged units as they then to push too much and influence/cause your jeep to drift.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
honestly, i personally like the 2010-up OEM stabilizer a lot. but, just about anything out there will do the job as well. with the exception of the new fox stablizer that's coming out, i don't like gas charged units as they then to push too much and influence/cause your jeep to drift.

Sounds good to me. Thanks again!

Top Bottom