Another addition to the family

A good friend on the forum sent me a text the other day to give me a heads up about a lady who was selling her jeep. At first I wasn't really interested since I already have Mumbo and the MJ I picked up not too long ago, but he insisted it would be worth checking out. So I did and ended up striking a deal on a 1953 Willy's CJ-3A for roughly the same price I just paid for three 40" Toyos.
I kept the deal very quiet and only told a few people as the seller hadn't even listed it anywhere yet and this deal was way too good for me to pass up.
We loaded up Mumbo this morning and headed north to a little town just east of Lodi, CA and completed the transaction, hooked the little beast up to Mumbo and started for home. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430028599.968101.jpg I'm not kidding when I say "little"! I swear that thing is half the size of Mumbo and probably weighs a third of what he does.
Not even ten minutes out of town, I hear the tone of the tires change and decide to pull over and take a quick look, and sure enough one was nearly flat from a broken valve stem. So, I dig out a few tools, roll up my sleeves and get to work. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430029005.792638.jpg
With the spare in place, we take off again. Decided it was time for a restroom break just south of Modesto ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430029125.615760.jpg Since another tire looked a little low I brought out the air hose and added a little air to it. Bad idea! We got as far as Merced and that same tire decided it just wasn't going any further. Fresh out of spares I shoot another friend that lives nearby a text for a little assistance and we just made it to PepBoys before they closed. Got it all fixed up and this time we made it all the way home. Even with a couple tire issues it was still a great day. Thanks again MarkW13 for the help.
Ok, I'm sure some have noticed the Fugly hood scoop, but at one point in time it actually served a purpose. Many moons ago, someone attempted to swap in a Hurricane engine from a B model and since the Hurricane is a taller engine (hence the reason why B models have taller hoods), they had to cut the hood so the carb would fit. Since then, a Buick 231 V6 and automatic trans have been dropped in eliminating the need for the hood scoop and it will be going away as soon as possible. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430029889.935397.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430029940.573939.jpg it needs a ton of work but I think it's well worth what I gave for it, should have it on the road very soon.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Nice find! And the price!:shock: First thing I noticed is dual tanks.:thumb: Jealous I am.:yup: All the best with quickly getting it on the road.

David1tontj

👏👏👏👏
I was initially doubtful you would actually end up with it. These days a deal Isn't a deal until you've signed the title. Congrats on the new baby!

Well, after checking and double checking the serial numbers and tub numbers, then cross matching them with production dates it appears I don't have a 1953 CJ-3A afterall. What I have is actually a 1948 CJ-2A. Not too bad!

Top Bottom