EVO Rock Slider install

Spudcannons

I am about to install my EVO rock sliders now that they are painted up. I have a Miller 140 welder, will that have enough penetration to weld the sliders to the frame?

K.D.C.H

I'm not a welder but isn't there a chart on the inside of the welder that tells you what settings you need for the different thickness of metals?

toxicwaste29

Ya look inside the welder to see what it welds up to. Its probably 1/4" or 3/16". If your asking yourself this question you might want to have someone else weld it.

BlackHat

If you have any scrap the same size you could practice a bit on what settings are good. Heat range I think should be about at the 3 and wire speed depends on how you weld.

Rebel JK

Ya look inside the welder to see what it welds up to. Its probably 1/4" or 3/16". If your asking yourself this question you might want to have someone else weld it.

Exactly-Beat me to it. Here's the table from my 140 at work. Maybe not the best choice but With the right operator it will be nails.

Attachments

• 20150427_091133.jpg
    20150427_091133.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 241

toxicwaste29

Ya it can only go up to 1/8" unless you want to use flux core wire which spatters* like crazy then you can go up to 3/16". You'll be better off having it done with a different welder IMO

*splatters

Last edited:

Spudcannons

If you have any scrap the same size you could practice a bit on what settings are good. Heat range I think should be about at the 3 and wire speed depends on how you weld.

Thanks, I will try on some scrap metal. I was also thinking of beveling the edges for more weld area. I was also wondering about the frame thinness since it is probably thinner and will be burned through with too much heat.

Hot94Z28

Splatter does suck I used flux core since that's the only wire I have in mine right now it worked fine but the welds would of been cleaner if I could of used gas.

Rebel JK

Thanks, I will try on some scrap metal. I was also thinking of beveling the edges for more weld area. I was also wondering about the frame thinness since it is probably thinner and will be burned through with too much heat.

Heat should be set and focused to the thicker metal and the puddle"blended" to thinner otherwise you wont get good penetr on the heavy stuff. Also practice on a verticle surface like youll be doing on your frame.

nicholsmf

The MM140 is capable, but are you? If you're asking the question I would assume you might not have the skills to weld something you expect to hold tbe weight of your JK. I could be wrong.

Spudcannons

The MM140 is capable, but are you? If you're asking the question I would assume you might not have the skills to weld something you expect to hold tbe weight of your JK. I could be wrong.

I have about 8 years experience welding so I have a good base. But I have not attempted to weld 1/4" steel to a frame, I have welded vertical seams at 1/8" (making a cube). Since it can do it I will practice on 1/4" steel until i have a perfect bead. I was mostly tryign to figure out if beveling the edges, making multiple passes after grinding down the weld ect is necessary.

Top Bottom