Chatter when shifting...maybe clutch?

joshuaj21

This has been on going since before any mods were added, but I still can't seem to figure it out. It sounds like clutch because when I shift, I hear a "chatter" when releasing the clutch usually at lower RPM. Does anyone have any ideas on what it is and if I can fix it? Thanks in advance!

Ah2014jk

The only thing I can think of MIGHT be a throw out bearing going ? I'm not a driveline guy but can't think of much else that would make a chatter when the clutch is pushed.

joshuaj21

The only thing I can think of MIGHT be a throw out bearing going ? I'm not a driveline guy but can't think of much else that would make a chatter when the clutch is pushed.

Its not so much when the clutch is pushed, but more noticed when I release and start moving forward... It's kind of difficult to describe. I don't rev the RPM's very high, maybe 3k at the most, but usually between 2,500 and 3,000. I can hear it "chatter" almost always from gears 1-4. I tried to pay attention to the RPM's when I can hear it and from what I can tell it happens around 1,500-2,000, but it's only for a couple seconds max. Once I start climbing RPM's again, it stops. With that said, if your thoughts still lean towards the pressure plate or throw out bearing, (1) is that something I could do with the tools in my garage, (2) where is it? and (3) how much would it cost me for parts (or to have a shop replace if I absolutely MUST have it professionally done)?

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Much appreciated!

Grubbicon

I could be completely wrong but it kinda just sounds like your in too high of a gear for the speed your going.

joshuaj21

I could be completely wrong but it kinda just sounds like your in too high of a gear for the speed your going.

I do baby it on the tarmac... Try not to rev too high and I don't accelerate super fast unless I have to. You may have a point though, I'll have to listen when I drive home today to see if I shift at higher RPM's if it still chatters.

Let's just say (worst case scenario) that my pressure plate or throw out bearing is the problem... where would I start with something like that? Where exactly are they located?

Thanks for the response Grub. I appreciate it.

Ah2014jk

Try one more thing. I know this sounds silly but once in a while mine does this and it turns out to be the shifter itself vibrating. If I touch it it stops.
If it's the plate or bearing I would have it done. Then again I don't want to drop the tranny myself on Jack stands out in my driveway.

joshuaj21

Stupid Chatter.

It's funny... Yesterday after I left, I drove it a little harder, meaning shifting from higher RPM and voila! "Chatter" gone. I have to roll my window down to hear it. I understand what y'all are saying about the shifter. When we first picked her up (still haven't named "her", I know...I know) the shifter knob was a bit loose and I could hear that right off the bat. Fixed that one, so pretty sure that's ruled out at this point. About half way to work this morning and only one cup of coffee, I thought about my drive home yesterday and realized my shifting was in the 2500 range again (old habits die hard). However, when I rolled down my window, I didn't hear the chatter. Maybe the road noise of morning traffic or just wasn't as loud, but I am very confused now. So, if I drive it harder for an hour I guess I'll be good on the chatter for a while? Just enough to make me wonder and piss me off at the same time...

joshuaj21

Try one more thing. I know this sounds silly but once in a while mine does this and it turns out to be the shifter itself vibrating. If I touch it it stops.
If it's the plate or bearing I would have it done. Then again I don't want to drop the tranny myself on Jack stands out in my driveway.

So is it the shifter vibrating from underneath the linkage or above the linkage? The last time I took a look at that part of a shifter was on my 1978 Land Rover 88" RHD from the UK. I haven't even thought about looking at that on my '11 JKS... Thoughts?

joshuaj21

Mine chatters when low rpm state. Like when it wants another gear.

Maybe the question is, does it hurt anything to drive at lower RPM's? I'm at roughly 54,000 mi, original clutch and everything. Just changed all my fluids not too long ago (trans, diffs, xfer and crank case) at about 52,000ish. Hell I still have the original front brake pads and they aren't but 50% gone! My point is, it seems to just be an annoying sound I'll have to either deal with or drive at higher RPM's all the time.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

joshuaj21

Ok after some closer investigation and trying suggestions, I'm finding the source may not be only the tranny. I hear when I shift but the louder noise sounds like it may be the cat... thought I read something about a sensor to test, might have been something Eddie was talking about? Is there a way to make an educated determination out of my garage, if nothing else at least ruling out everything else?

joshuaj21

Ok have to revisit this unfortunately... just left the stealership and as the noise came back, it turned out to be the throwout bearing after all. Maybe the chatter from before was dual-hatted but now it's official. Problem is I definitely don't have that kind of money to throw at it right now... does anyone know of a good shop in vb for this or someone have experience replacing one with the clutch and pressure plate? Any input would be really helpful.

Kalums

I can tell you from personal experience with my 08 that if it is the throw out bearing.... It's a serious PITA. Tried to do my own... Ended up having to have the Jeep towed from my house the the trans shop in parts because I didn't have all the right tools and couldn't get everything to line back up correctly. I'm definitely not a master mechanic but I've done my fair share of wrenching. But I now know when to call in the experts. 😆

joshuaj21

Damn... I can relate. I think I'm a pretty handy fella, but never removed a transmission and exhaust before (at the same time or on my JK for that matter). As i understand it, taking off the Y-pipe is no easy task in itself either, but I'm really hoping to save some money that I don't have to spend on this too!

Siebermd

Ok have to revisit this unfortunately... just left the stealership and as the noise came back, it turned out to be the throwout bearing after all. Maybe the chatter from before was dual-hatted but now it's official. Problem is I definitely don't have that kind of money to throw at it right now... does anyone know of a good shop in vb for this or someone have experience replacing one with the clutch and pressure plate? Any input would be really helpful.

Let me know what you find, mine is doing the same thing.

Matt

joshuaj21

My neighbors buddy is apparently quite the JK/TJ/CJ mechanic. He might also have a tranny floor jack which would be awesome. Just need to find a kit with clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing plus the bits... suggestions?

joshuaj21

So after more investigating it seems the culprit is almost certainly the TOB. However, with the labor needed I have a plan to replace the clutch, pressure plate, TOB, and release fork. Better safe than sorry... so, question is where can I find a replacement gasket besides the stealership and other than rtv, is there anything else that should/needs to be replaced when removing the tranny from block, driveshafts, etc..? I'd rather not leave anything to chance, but have a solid couple of dudes with much more experience than myself to assist. Any other participation (or sitting back to watch, friendly banter, and beer drinking is also highly encouraged).

Top Bottom