"smart bar" questions.

Kalums

No, good idea. I will do that tonight. Here is also a thought shouldn't be softer just simply because of the lift? I guess I actually started noticing it when I put the lift on but it didn't manifest itself fully until I unbound the control arms when putting the sway bar on. Could it be as simple as that?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Yes. If you test the sway bar and it is locked, I'd say the spongy feeling is due to the new lift if it came with new coils.

Kalums

So took one side loose (passengers) and it moved up and down freely...... Shaved the spring another 1/4 of an inch (1/2) total.... Seems like it's actually only got about 1/2 inch of gear surface on the bar it's self to actually engage "full lock"? how do you even lubricate the gears inside the "motor"? They kinda seem to rub /grind together before they relock.

Edit: wow I'm doing good today I actually shaved the spring a TOTAL of 1/4 inch, not 1/2.

Last edited:

Kalums

So totally figured it out, it was disconnected, I took it off cracked open the case and it had water and rust on the gears, working on cleaning it up with a wire wheel and some never dull then I'm going to grease the heck out of it with some high temp synthetic grease. I figure then I will seal it back together with some good RTV it only had a crappy paper seal. Hope this helps if anyone else ever decide to get one.

DanD

So totally figured it out, it was disconnected, I took it off cracked open the case and it had water and rust on the gears, working on cleaning it up with a wire wheel and some never dull then I'm going to grease the heck out of it with some high temp synthetic grease. I figure then I will seal it back together with some good RTV it only had a crappy paper seal. Hope this helps if anyone else ever decide to get one.

How did you go cleaning it up? I have the opposite problem where my rubi swaybar is stuck in the locked position and wont disconnect at all... Frustrating...

Kalums

It actually went very well, I'll add a link to another thread where I was answering another guys questions.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=28124

Ps, pop that sucker off and open er up... Won't hurt, besides a sport sway bar is cheap until you can find another Rubicon swaybar.... If it's actually broken with mine it just needed a good cleaning and lube job.

Last edited:

DanD

It actually went very well, I'll add a link to another thread where I was answering another guys questions.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=28124

Ps, pop that sucker off and open er up... Won't hurt, besides a sport sway bar is cheap until you can find another Rubicon swaybar.... If it's actually broken with mine it just needed a good cleaning and lube job.

Got it opened up properly lol I didn't realise that the wobbly nut could come out... Just took a little screwdriver to coax its holder out of place (and the mating shaft was well gummed up with gunk - hit it with fine sandpaper a few times and the opposite collar and smooth as a babies beehind!) cleaned it up and packed a fair bit of marine grease in there, so it was very stiff when in the disconnected position (am using an evo manual knob thingy)

BgNNYcc1Yw6FCwft0UKQoLgiM7MAx2h-6sxrEGgbPveY=w717-h955-no

Very slowly my sport is becoming a rubicon haha

*edit* I really should update my sig line lol

Top Bottom