"smart bar" questions.

Kalums

So I picked up a Rubicon swaybar otherwise known as the smart bar, three questions

1) how do I check to see if the motor is any good? (pictures would be greatly appreciated)
2) without it being plugged in should the bar turn freely in the housing? (both sides move at the same time like it's connected)
3)Where can I find more bushings? (These ones are a little dry rotted and cracked.)

Kalums

Doh, bumpity bump bump, anyone? Oh can I use the bushings off my sport? Anyone know if they are the same?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
1. Don't know. I use the evo no limits.
2. Maybe, does each side move different? One side up and the other down?
3. The one from your sport should fit. Crown makes great replacement parts if not.

Kalums

OK so the Rubicon bar has a flat piece on top like a spacer with tabs that bend over, is that normal? My sport doesn't have those, should I reuse them?

Mine is the second picture

Attachments

• 1430691280134.jpg
    1430691280134.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 366
  • 1430691444481.jpg
    1430691444481.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 367

Kalums

I am going to use the EVO no limits I was just going to check it to see if it was good before I give some here who needs it a freebie. 😆and both sides move @ the same time they are "connected".

boardsurfer

OK so the Rubicon bar has a flat piece on top like a spacer with tabs that bend over, is that normal? My sport doesn't have those, should I reuse them?

Mine is the second picture

Yes, you need the rubicon mounting stuff with that little arm sticking out - the rubicon motor has a rubber, uh, thing the that mounts on there to keep the motor in place while the bar itself is articulating. You can reuse your own rubber bushings if they are in better shape than the ones on the rubi bar.

Edit: whoops, I think I mis-interpreted your post. I have no idea what that piece is with the tabs coming around.

Kalums

If anyone has the opportunity/time (and a Rubicon) can you please take a photo of the passengers side sway bar frame mount and post here I would greatly appreciate it thx.

Rccrwlr

If anyone has the opportunity/time (and a Rubicon) can you please take a photo of the passengers side sway bar frame mount and post here I would greatly appreciate it thx.

This is from a 2008 but the rubber motor mount connects to this bar so I would say you need it. Not sure what the EVO no limits mounts to.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430711432.664958.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430711445.628970.jpg .

Kalums

OK so I figured I'd just add this to this thread instead of adding another post.

Anyone who has switched from a solid sway bar to the Rubicon sway bar, does the rubi bar seem softer in the corners?
As I mentioned before I got a Rubicon bar I replaced both bushings with energy suspensions poly bushings and "lubed" them like the instructions said, I made sure the bar was not disconnected, I put a new set of rear stock end links up front and made sure all my nuts and bolts were properly secured..... Am I missing something? It just seems softer, like there is more "sway". Ideas questions and helpful comments would be appreciated thx.

Last edited:

Kalums

So.... I figured it out. Sry it's sideways. Shocks are fully extended and one is leaking slightly @ the top of the shock..... So apparently I will be taking part in the Rancho deal... 😆

Attachments

• 1432326289472.jpg
    1432326289472.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Kalums

I am correct in thinking that this would make it spongy in the corners and lean/sway more....??

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I didn't experience any difference when switching my swaybar for a Rubicon one. It sounds to me like the sway bar you installed is in the disconnected mode (not locked). This would explain the "spongy" feeling you are experiencing when going around corners. Did you install an EVO no limits swaybar adaptor?

Last edited:

Kalums

Put the washer in, called Andrew @ ORE asked about this same issue because when I initially installed it the bar wouldn't "reconnect" after disconnecting, he said I needed to shave the spring approx 1/8 of an inch did that, off the Jeep it reconnected just fine. I will say that when I turn the knob inward it does seem to get way more soft going around corners. When I got the rubi bar it did have terror flex quick discos on it, I'm wondering if the guy I bought it from drilled out the end link holes for those,because I went back to the stock rears end links

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Okay. Have you tested the swaybar by disconnecting end links and manually rotating bar by hand? The knob on the EVO no limits should be all the way screwed out.

Top Bottom