FlatTop Build

Flat Top

LOL!! Nice setup you've got there in your storage unit. But you know, it's just a matter of time before you just sell that thing :D

Unfortunately I've got a little bit of the hoarder gene in me from my old man. "I MIGHT use that one day".... :rolleyes2:

Napalm

My TrekTop is noticeably louder this season so I did some Googling and the best info can right from WAL!

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25711-Heads-up-to-Trektop-NX-owners

Sure enough, my TrekTop has 4 busted/cracked screw holes around the clamp areas. E-mailing Bestop to see if this is covered under warranty (it should be). Let's see how long it takes to get back to me......

View attachment 248963

If you have any luck like I did; they will get back to you within two days and then send you the parts you need. They seem to be pretty good at customer service :)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Flat Top

If you have any luck like I did; they will get back to you within two days and then send you the parts you need. They seem to be pretty good at customer service :)

Did they send you a new top or just the plastic piece? If just the plastic part is there any noticeable difference in the new part?

If this is a frequent issue, I'm wondering if they are doing anything proactive to address.

Napalm

Did they send you a new top or just the plastic piece? If just the plastic part is there any noticeable difference in the new part?

If this is a frequent issue, I'm wondering if they are doing anything proactive to address.

What plastic piece has failed on your top? (I can't tell) Each time I've had an issue with a top, they've sent me the specific piece I needed and covered it under warranty. On one of the tops, I had made 5 warranty claims on the same top over the course of 8 months. After that, Bestop sent me an entire new top.

If it's one of the door surrounds, you might have them send you a new M8 x 75mm knob. I noticed that trying to put a new door surround using the older knobs, it wouldn't screw in properly to the new door surround.

Flat Top

What plastic piece has failed on your top? (I can't tell)

This is the header piece that clamps to the windshield, I had to disassemble the top to get to it. Sounds like they will send just the same piece. If so hopefully it will be reinforced, otherwise I don't see what will keep it from occurring again.

Luckily Houston is in one of it's nicer "spring" weeks so I'm running topless. Rain is not in the forecast until Thursday. I doubt that I will get the issue resolved before then so I'll have to re-assemble and make it work.

Flat Top

Good news for me. Bestop replied to my e-mail the next day stating the part will be replaced under warranty. I "should" have the replacement parts in "roughly 3-4 days", we shall see. I've enjoyed running topless all week but with rain in the forecast for Friday I needed to get the top back on in case the parts are not here in time.

A little Gorilla Glue and clamps appear to temporarily resolve the issue. We shall see how long it lasts (at least until the replacements arrive).

So far I'm happy with the service from Bestop (very timely response). My only concern is this seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Hopefully I won't need to file a similar claim in 2 years (before the warranty expires).

20170322_181849.jpg

Napalm

Good news for me. Bestop replied to my e-mail the next day stating the part will be replaced under warranty. I "should" have the replacement parts in "roughly 3-4 days", we shall see. I've enjoyed running topless all week but with rain in the forecast for Friday I needed to get the top back on in case the parts are not here in time.

A little Gorilla Glue and clamps appear to temporarily resolve the issue. We shall see how long it lasts (at least until the replacements arrive).

So far I'm happy with the service from Bestop (very timely response). My only concern is this seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Hopefully I won't need to file a similar claim in 2 years (before the warranty expires).

View attachment 249694

Great news they took care of you!

Flat Top

Interesting, I was not expecting a box this big.
20170323_174425.jpg

Yes that appears to be an entirely new top.[emoji1]

Offsets the check engine light/traction warning light combo with limp mode that kicked on 5 minutes from home. [emoji15]

Last edited:

Flat Top

P0394 something, something camshaft sensor. Good thing its still under warranty. I guess a trip to the dealership is in store....[emoji32]

Flat Top

It was an absolutely beautiful week in Htown last week. I ran the entire week stripped down and it was glorious. Although a couple mornings in the upper 40's/low 50's can be a bit chilly @ 80 MPH. :D

20170409_150925.jpg

Oil change light popped on last week so it was oil change time this week. Also rotated the tire and inspected the brake pads etc. I noticed the slight smell of gear oil in the passenger rear rotor along with a buildup of packed grime / light oil discoloration on the axle components. Rear axle seal leak looks like, seems to be a common issue on 13's and with 37's and 70K in miles I'm guess I'm due.

20170409_140309.jpg

At least the MIL light cleared from a couple weeks ago. The Jeep has been very trouble free, I hope this not not the start of a new trend. :rolleyes2:

Napalm

It was an absolutely beautiful week in Htown last week. I ran the entire week stripped down and it was glorious. Although a couple mornings in the upper 40's/low 50's can be a bit chilly @ 80 MPH. :D

View attachment 252721

Oil change light popped on last week so it was oil change time this week. Also rotated the tire and inspected the brake pads etc. I noticed the slight smell of gear oil in the passenger rear rotor along with a buildup of packed grime / light oil discoloration on the axle components. Rear axle seal leak looks like, seems to be a common issue on 13's and with 37's and 70K in miles I'm guess I'm due.

View attachment 252723

At least the MIL light cleared from a couple weeks ago. The Jeep has been very trouble free, I hope this not not the start of a new trend. :rolleyes2:

Nice! It was just a little too cold last week for me but this coming week is looking good after the rain passes!

Flat Top

Jumping on the SST Pro bandwagon. :D Discount Tire's Memorial day sale made me do it...

2 delivered today, 3 more on Monday. I guess I could at least do the spare this weekend.

20170602_110621.jpg

Flat Top

P0520 Jeep - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Malfunction

Two Mondays (6-5-17)ago I was greeted with a lovely MIL when I started the Jeep up for the trip home after work. No noticeable issues on the drive home and pulled a P0520 fault code from my Torque/OBDII combo (one of the best $25 investments I've made for the garage). Even though the factory warranty was up (75Kmiles) i had purchased an extended warranty at time of purchase. Decided to take it to the dealership for repairs as well as outstanding recall items. I also wanted to enable the backup camera on the 430N head unit. I installed the camera/cabling almost 2 years ago but have never taken the time to get the Jeep flashed. :rolleyes2:

Decided on AutoNation Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM Katy for service in west Houston after reading at least a few decent reviews as opposed to the 2 other options in the travel area (Tomball and Conroe). I was pleasantly surprised by the service received. Dropped off the Jeep Wednesday evening and had a confirmed diagnosis by 10 AM Thursday. They handled the recall work, head unit flash and started the oil pressure switch replacement Thursday and completed the job Friday AM. I picked up the Jeep Friday around 1 PM and other than needing to reconfigure my TPMS and tire size with the ProCal, I was good to go. Side note: why is it that shops (Discount Tire, dealerships etc.) insist on airing up tires to 40+ PSI??!! :eek:

I can actually say my experience with the Service Dept @ AutoNation Katy was more than acceptable. Joe Bartizal was extremely professional and above all else communicated with me. For me it's all about expectations, if it's going to take 3 days, tell me three days. I'll be good with that if you keep your promise. Joe is a Jeeper as well who just moved here from Arizona so we talked about the non-existent rock crawling options in the Houston area and his recent trip to Wolf Caves. He seems to be a genuinely good guy. :thumb:

So for any Houston folks on the west side that need dealer service give AutoNation Katy a look. I know it's only one visit for me but so far-so good!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Side note: why is it that shops (Discount Tire, dealerships etc.) insist on airing up tires to 40+ PSI??!! :eek:

I know! I have no idea, but it pisses me off that I always have to air down after getting tires mounted (even if I specify a PSI). Good thing it's not a frequent job.

The rig looks great BTW!:thumb:

Top Bottom