Toyo 37" Open Country R/T on Fuel Trophy wheels initial review

PJF14

Great write up. The tires look great. I just purchased 37's Nitto Trail Grapper's from Discount Tire Direct and they came in three days. I'm getting them mounted on Friday. I'm going from 33's to 37's. I've recently regard also to 4.88, so I'm excited to see the new look.

I bolted on a new set of Fuel Trophy 17" with 4.5" backspacing wrapped in Toyo's brand new 37x12.50x17 Open Country R/Ts this week.

I was coming from 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on AEV Pintlers with 5.2 backspacing for a reference point.

The Decision process:

I decided that I wanted 35" or 37" off-road tire with good on-road manners, quiet performance on the highway without going full A/T like the BFG KO2 or Nitto Exo Grappler or Terra Grapplers. For my tastes the tread pattern on the A/Ts are not as appealing to me vs. aggressive M/Ts tires like Toyo MT, Nitto trails, Cooper STT etc. Weight is a issue I wanted to avoid and to limit the rolling mass as much as possible. I as much as I love the look of Toyo or Nittos on ATX slabs, the weight and off-road air down performance isn't worth the wear and tear on my DD. I wheel a few times per year. I also make a few long highway trips each year which range 400-600 miles each way.

Over the life of my 35" Trail Grapplers I would considered them quiet on the highway at 70 MPH and under and they wear like iron. I rotated them every oil change and still have 10MM left at 42,000 mi. They would be strong candidates for replacement if the R/T was never released by Toyo.

The price was great at $332 for 37x12.50x17s and $345 for 37x13.50x17s. Weighing the options between, the two widths I chose the 12.50 because of the weight savings of 8lbs per tire, potentially more road noise or walking on the highway from 13.50. Fitment and rubbing from a wider tire was also considered. I should also mention that the 37x12.50 R/T is 3lbs lighter than the 35x12.50x17 Nitto. I am sure there is extra rolling resistance with a wider tire as well. At the end of the day the practical side of me chose 12.50s over the meatier 13.50s.

Setup:
JKU with 4" EVO Plush ride coils
factory flares
17" Fuel trophy in gun metal with 4.5" BS
37x12.50x17 Toyo R/T

Initial impressions:

Shipping mounted and balanced and 5 day delivery was a major bonus. I chose not to use TPSM, as I turned off that feature with my procal so I saved $40 per tire.

After bolting them on, they are considerably larger than I expected especially compared to the worn nittos. Mounted on Trophys and inflated to 30LBs they are 37 - 1/8" tall off the Jeep and 36.5" on. Check out he photos below.

The tread pattern is much more aggressive in person than in photos. Just like Nittos they have a lip protector and each side has a slightly different sidewall pattern although its very similar.

They arrived balanced with 0 oz to 4 oz per tire which I consider is pretty good. I ordered aluminum centric rings on ebay for $13. I wanted the piece of mind coming off of a hub centric wheel its nice to know that both the lugs and rings will keep things aligned correctly.

The Trophy's lug nut pockets are tight. I have already ordered slimmer spline lug nuts from gorilla which will give some more room for a thin walled socket and not mar the wheel finish.

Highway Test Drive:

Silent.... really, really silent. There is a very, very slight hum at 70 mph but I would never be able to tell that I was driving on an aggressive off road tire if I didn't know first. The taller sidewall tends to lean a little more than thee 35s on turns but they ride softer than the nitto 35s aired to 26 lbs. They wondered slightly on grooved highway pavement but otherwise tracked very straight on all all other streets and highways.

Photos:

View attachment 141744 View attachment 141745 View attachment 141746 View attachment 141747 View attachment 141748 View attachment 141749 View attachment 141743 View attachment 141750

next to a TJ with new 37x12.50x17 GY MTRs
View attachment 141751

I plan on hitting Rausch Creek in June. I will report back after a few more miles and the off-road characteristics after my Rausch trip.

:beer:

twoxstreem

Drove 100 miles in a downpour last nigh with no signs of hydroplaning at 70 mph.

Wet road traction is really good.

JohnnyD

I have gone out twice now with my 35-RT's.

The grip is good. They do tend to cake a bit in the deep mud but they do clear well with good wheel speed.

Wet rocks they stick like glue, on road as well, can't say enough good things about the wet performance.

Where I wheel most is a good mix of all type of wheelin EXCEPT large rock Krawlin...

The side walls take hits really well, took a nasty sharp rock straight into side wall that left a good rash mark on rim but it slid right off the sidewalk without issue or tear. It was a lot like on of those drive through curb moments...you hit just hard enough to make the whole jeep jump lol..

I have 35x12.5x17 E rated

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433073909.480994.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433073927.439017.jpg

JohnnyD

The grip is good. They do tend to cake a bit in the deep mud but they do clear well with good wheel speed.

Wet rocks they stick like glue, on road as well, can't say enough good things about the wet performance.

Where I wheel most is a good mix of all type of wheelin EXCEPT large rock Krawlin...

The side walls take hits really well, took a nasty sharp rock straight into side wall that left a good rash mark on rim but it slid right off the sidewalk without issue or tear. It was a lot like on of those drive through curb moments...you hit just hard enough to make the whole jeep jump lol..

I have 35x12.5x17 E load

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433074525.008754.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433074545.201716.jpg

twoxstreem

I have 35x12.5x17 E load

View attachment 146363
View attachment 146364

Nice looking rig.

JohnnyD

Thanks man. It's gettin there.

The tires are awesome, really have no complaints at all.

Really quiet
Great wet performance
Balanced easily with very little weight
Sidewalls are good and flexy but strong
Track really well at highway speeds

Great all rounder

I will say again, mud seems to cake on them but increasing wheel speed just a bit more than I'm used to and they clear out pretty well. I don't have any issue traction wise in the mud though, perhaps this is just how it looks on the tire and I'm imagining things....

I'm coming off of the GY MTRK's which cleared mud really really well, but the balancing issues were too much for me to take.

twoxstreem

Well we had a wet weekend at Rausch almost 4" of rain in total. With all of the slop, sand, mud and wet rock the Toyo R/Ts performed superbly. I did not notice any trail performance compromise when compared to my Nittos from the last time I was at Rausch on the nitto 35s. I was the only non-nitto trial grappler rig in the group and nothing appeared to be a challenge for the R/Ts.

The next best thing about the R/Ts (besides the excellent trail performance) was that their road manners on the 3 hr drive to and from Rausch were just as good. Extremely low road noise (almost no hum) and zero hydroplaning at 70-75 MPH on rain drenched highways.

IMG_7362.JPG

Awesome follow up!! I am seriously considering these tires for my next purchase :)

I like that they come in a 37!

If Goodyear would ever wise up and make a Duratrac in a 37 I would be awesome but it seems only Nitto and Toyo are listening to what a weekend warrior wants in a tire.

Spudcannons

Nice write up! :clap2: I may also have found my next tire. Pretty sweet pricing on these too it was 344 a tire for 37 x 13.5 r17.

Sithwindu

Nice write up! :clap2: I may also have found my next tire. Pretty sweet pricing on these too it was 344 a tire for 37 x 13.5 r17.

I'm have a internal battle with myself between the mud grap and trail grap for my next tire! ! But the rt looks like such a awesome tire!! I'm just worried it won't be "hardcore" enough for the big obstacles and rocks. I'm running the mud grappler now and love how it grabs off-road.

Spudcannons

I'm have a internal battle with myself between the mud grap and trail grap for my next tire! ! But the rt looks like such a awesome tire!! I'm just worried it won't be "hardcore" enough for the big obstacles and rocks. I'm running the mud grappler now and love how it grabs off-road.

I really like the mud grapplers but worry about the performance in the snow and rain/water

spencerd45

How loud are the tires on the highway so far? I was close to buying a set but ended up going with Nitto Terra Grapplers

Top Bottom