Paint/prep advice

boardsurfer

I finally decided on a bumper, an Evo Pro Series. I really like the look, I'm not one for the big stinger out front, and I haven't seen too many people running it which is kinda cool.

Before I paint, I feel like it needs to be wiped down first, before the primer. Is there anything in particular that I should use? Acetone, alcohol, wet rag? I don't know. I'm not a painter so I'm not sure if one will ruin the primer going on or whatever. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid first.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431284536.836227.jpg

The welds are purty.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431284558.762987.jpg

Peak

Alcohol, and be patient while painting. If only I can someday learn to take my own advice lol

Nick Zambo

Just a thought. If you like the way it looks like that, you could have a clear powder coat applied. It would have a bit of shine but still keep that look.

Napalm

I always use alchol for paint prep. Are you doing just a standard black or were you wanting something textured?

boardsurfer

I decided on alcohol as well. I'm just going to do a spray can black, nothing fancy. It served well on my last jeep.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Yup, alcohol should do the trick. Also, in terms of primer, I would recommend a self-etching primer.

Good luck and be sure to post up a few pictures of the finished product!

JT2012Jk

I would prep with alcohol or some form of non residue degreaser. Then move in to self etching primer. Once you have applied several light coats ( giving adequate time for each to cure properly), I would lightly scuff the primer with realy fine sand paper. Once you have done that, I would wipe it down once again to remove any primer dust residue. Then do multiple thin coats of your black paint until it's coated the way you want. It's all about prep

jeeeep

Hooked
whichever cleaner you chose, use white or very light colored rags, you'll be able to tell when the metal is clean.

Scuff the entire bumper with at least 120 grit sandpaper, don't use too course a paper

wipe it all down again with your cleaner

use tack cloth (cheese cloth) to make a final wipe (no cleaner)

spray with self-stching primer, let it tack dry between each coat of primer then let the primer fully dry

spray your color, light coats, let it tack dry between coats.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If I could recommend going with a satin black paint instead of bed liner. It's smoother and doesn't turn chalky in the sun. I used it on my EVO 1/4 pounder and stinger and it looks as great as the day I installed it.

Rccrwlr

If I could recommend going with a satin black paint instead of bed liner. It's smoother and doesn't turn chalky in the sun. I used it on my EVO 1/4 pounder and stinger and it looks as great as the day I installed it.

x2 on the satin black. Use it on all of my stuff.

Top Bottom