What would you guys do

DMF

I was going to wait until Fall to get new tires and really wanted to go with Toyo's or Nitto. But my friend who works at Falken have been pushing me to get a set of Wildpeaks in a 37x12.50r17 for a price of $155 each. This deal is amazing but I don't want to buy these and then regret them later. The only thing I do not like about them really is they don't look aggressive enough. If anyone runs them, please chime in.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Well if it's a A/T I would pass, They suck!

They are very heavy tires and not aggressive looking at all. The tread pattern only goes part way through the tread blocks so after you put some miles on the tires you are left with smooth tread bands running the circumference of the tire that will leave you stuck in every situation. I was excited when I first got them on my jeep even to the point I was telling my brother I thought they were better than the BFG A/T but after running them a while I was very disappointed in them and was glad when I switched to my current Nitto Trail Grapplers.

As far as the new M/T goes they just haven't been out long enough to tell. If it was me I would spend the money on a proven tire that works and get the Nitto,Toyo, or even BFGs before I would spend any money on a Falken tire.

DMF

Thx 4x4Jesus for that info. I was under the impression they were only bad on full size trucks but I'm hearing more bad news now.

Trail JK

Back a few years ago (I want to say 2011 or 2012) I ran a test set during EJS for a couple of days. I have to say they handled the slick rock surprisingly well. That said, I couldn't tell you how they do on road. Also, I wouldn't buy them, just looked funny. Not at all aggressive. I'm not sure a couple of days is enough of a test but I ended up going with Nitto on my next set. The price is good but it's also 1/2 way to a set that you're sure to love.

Trail JK

Back a few years ago (I want to say 2011 or 2012) I ran a test set during EJS for a couple of days. I have to say they handled the slick rock surprisingly well. That said, I couldn't tell you how they do on road. Also, I wouldn't buy them, just looked funny. Not at all aggressive. I'm not sure a couple of days is enough of a test but I ended up going with Nitto on my next set. The price is good but it's also 1/2 way to a set that you're sure to love.

It was 2011. Here's a pic of them in the 37's.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431324109.491793.jpg .

Keep in mind that Andrew is a great photographer and he made them look cooler than they were. 😉

JLE21

I remember reading of a lot of tire failure from falken back when they were the ones presenting jk experience. I'd say pass and wait to get the nitto or toyos.

DMF

Cool thx guys. I just watch the JK-Exp that Falken hosted and they did worse compare to all the other tires on the Holy Cross trail. I'm not gonna be playing on trails that difficult but I don't want to get stuck either. Sounds like I'm keeping my 33's for a bit longer.

Napalm

Cool thx guys. I just watch the JK-Exp that Falken hosted and they did worse compare to all the other tires on the Holy Cross trail. I'm not gonna be playing on trails that difficult but I don't want to get stuck either. Sounds like I'm keeping my 33's for a bit longer.

Sounds like a good plan. Plus your 33s look sweet anyways.

DMF

Sounds like a good plan. Plus your 33s look sweet anyways.

Thanks Napalm. I would like to get KM2's in a 37" but man they want like $450+ a tire. I'm most likely going to go with Toyo RT's.

Btw, you got new shoes and wheels right. I haven't checked out your build thread lately but last I saw you had your wheels and tires up for sale.

Napalm

Thanks Napalm. I would like to get KM2's in a 37" but man they want like $450+ a tire. I'm most likely going to go with Toyo RT's.

Btw, you got new shoes and wheels right. I haven't checked out your build thread lately but last I saw you had your wheels and tires up for sale.

Tried too, it didn't work out. Hopefully now I can get a winch instead :)

Moabbnd

$155 a tire is an amazing deal!

My thoughts on the Wildpeak A/Ts...

The good: Their sidewalls are amazing. Arizona has some of the most brutal, jagged rocks out there and are known to cause sidewall failures all the time. These have held up with no issues at all and no slices in the sidewall. with the 14k miles I have on mine so far, there have been no chunking. They're quiet on the road and have decent grip on the rocks when aired down quit a bit. I did groove the Falkens earlier this year with a 3/8" blade. Seemed to help a lot in loose dirt.

The bad: I've had to replace 2 tires so far for being out of round. They constantly have to be rebalanced and still wobble somewhat. They're heavier than a Toyo MT (in the 315/75r16 size). Looks mild, but perform 100x better on the rocks than they look

You may get a good set of 4, but I will not be buying this tire ever again due to road manners. Many judge the tire by the looks and say it's terrible, but actually running the tire proves that it does grip very well on the rocks and their sidewalls are overbuilt

DMF

Tried too, it didn't work out. Hopefully now I can get a winch instead :)

I know I posted to get the superchip in your thread. But now thinking about it, having a winch brings peace of mind when you're out there sometimes by yourself. Even though I've never use the winch for myself, I've used it to help my friend out a couple times.

DMF

$155 a tire is an amazing deal!

My thoughts on the Wildpeak A/Ts...

The good: Their sidewalls are amazing. Arizona has some of the most brutal, jagged rocks out there and are known to cause sidewall failures all the time. These have held up with no issues at all and no slices in the sidewall. with the 14k miles I have on mine so far, there have been no chunking. They're quiet on the road and have decent grip on the rocks when aired down quit a bit. I did groove the Falkens earlier this year with a 3/8" blade. Seemed to help a lot in loose dirt.

The bad: I've had to replace 2 tires so far for being out of round. They constantly have to be rebalanced and still wobble somewhat. They're heavier than a Toyo MT (in the 315/75r16 size). Looks mild, but perform 100x better on the rocks than they look

You may get a good set of 4, but I will not be buying this tire ever again due to road manners. Many judge the tire by the looks and say it's terrible, but actually running the tire proves that it does grip very well on the rocks and their sidewalls are overbuilt

Thanks for the info Moabbnd. It's hard to walk away from these tires for $155 a piece but I think I'm gonna have to. I'm telling myself they're $155 tires so don't expect them to be a set of Nittos. I'm playing devils advocate with myself.

holliewood61

This is what they end up looking like when they hit half tread.

I took the groover to them just to get the rest of the life out of them. I run them on my tow pig

Last edited:
Top Bottom