Opinions on Extended Brake Line Length

JudeinPa

I just installed a set of front S/S extended brake lines on a 2.5" lift. I purchased a set that was made for 4 to 6" lift and they measure 23.75" in length. After install I noticed they were too short to zip tie to the shocks. I also have a pulled line on the passenger side and developed a slow leaking line on the solid line before the banjo bolt.

JudeinPa

Front passenger side.

Here are a few pictures at different angles to show the length of the lines and my problem. The second picture shows the pulled brake line. It has a very slow leak where the solid bend meets the banjo bolt attachment. I can only say it pulled from the line being too short. I wanted to zip tie the line to the shock but there isn't enough slack in the line to compensate turning the wheel with articulation on the suspension.

IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0435.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Something about your pic looked off. So went a checked mine. Not sure if it makes a difference, but your lines are routed different. Think maybe it could/did get caught in the spring to cause the pull?

Not sure, but I snapped this pic. Also, your lines might also appear to be shorter??

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431394725.825294.jpg

jedg

Something about your pic looked off. So went a checked mine. Not sure if it makes a difference, but your lines are routed different. Think maybe it could/did get caught in the spring to cause the pull?

Not sure, but I snapped this pic. Also, your lines might also appear to be shorter??

Yep, I just returned from looking at mine and was going to post a photo. You have the banjo block piece facing the wrong direction. I'm betting that rather than pulling on it and causing the leak, the solid piece that is part of the banjo block made contact with something and pushed it.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Also you have the line running in between the shock and the spring. Most are routed behind both. It seems like at full flex the shock mount will get in the way.

Dave

JAGS

Hooked
Yep, I just returned from looking at mine and was going to post a photo. You have the banjo block piece facing the wrong direction. I'm betting that rather than pulling on it and causing the leak, the solid piece that is part of the banjo block made contact with something and pushed it.

Was this directed at the OP? Think mine are run properly.

Big b

As stated above your lines are mounted backwards at the brake calipers. When they are installed like this and you go to full turn they bend at the stiff part. You will have to remove the lines and swap sides also.

JudeinPa

Thank you for all your replies. I installed the new lines in relation to how the factory lines were running. They were facing forward towards the axle. I didn't receive any detailed instructions with my lines but did look at a few sites that sold extended lines.

Teraflex instructs you to install as I did with the banjo block facing towards the front of the vehicle. https://teraflex.com/file/attachments/54821efa0b585633b3006fbe.pdf

I will install them next time facing the rear and behind the shocks. They are shorter than the ones JAGS posted and wonder if I should buy a new set that are longer? I don't want to keep changing brake lines…...:crazyeyes:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Teraflex instructs you to install as I did with the banjo block facing towards the front of the vehicle. https://teraflex.com/file/attachments/54821efa0b585633b3006fbe.pdf

I will install them next time facing the rear and behind the shocks. They are shorter than the ones JAGS posted and wonder if I should buy a new set that are longer? I don't want to keep changing brake lines…...:crazyeyes:

But if they fail, Teraflex will tell you the failure was due to installation error! :cheesy:

When it comes to correct length, you should be able to determine if your are correct. Flex out the Jeep and see how the lines look. In a perfect world, the perfect test would be in your shop with the springs out. Drop the axle on one side and let the shock hold the axle. See what the line looks like. As long as it has some slack in it, you should be good to go.

JAGS

Hooked
Thank you for all your replies. I installed the new lines in relation to how the factory lines were running. They were facing forward towards the axle. I didn't receive any detailed instructions with my lines but did look at a few sites that sold extended lines.

So much wrong in the post. Not your fault. Terabreak puts that out so they can claim installer error when something goes wrong. 😁

As for the lines. You can get slightly longer one and then keep the ones you have as trail spares. Just don't disconnect with them and you'll be fine.

If you do get longer ones, you can search this site for proper install pics. Or post up asking for help before you install. I didn't do my lines, but those who did can give some pointers.

JudeinPa

I installed the new set of extended brake lines last weekend and they seem to be working well. I took all your advise and routed the lines behind the shocks with the solid bend towards the rear. IMG_0438.jpg IMG_0440.jpg

JudeinPa

I went with Rough Country, 23.75" long. They are suppose to be long enough for a 4 to 6" lift or so they claim.

Top Bottom