Broken Track Bar on DTD

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I broke my track bar (factory) going into a turn at speed over some bumps this past weekend. Was able to get home with a spare track bar but was wondering if anyone was running an aftermarket track bar with their DTD. Im about to try the JKS track bar as it doesn't look like it will interfere with the DTD suspension. Anyone else run an aftermarket track bar with a PR60, and DTD?

xflstl

I broke my track bar (factory) going into a turn at speed over some bumps this past weekend. Was able to get home with a spare track bar but was wondering if anyone was running an aftermarket track bar with their DTD. Im about to try the JKS track bar as it doesn't look like it will interfere with the DTD suspension. Anyone else run an aftermarket track bar with a PR60, and DTD?

I'm running the JKS..... Have not had issues as of yet.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Pics of you wheeling and the break.

Don't have pics of the broken part. Forgot To get it out of my buddy's truck bed. I should have it later this week since I left a good portion of tools on the truck too. Here it is 15 min before I broke it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431401389.886779.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Interesting. What exactly did you break? Folks on here have been running factory track bars with DTD for some time with no break.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
It wasn't broken through. It was a break/crack near the top of the "hump" on the factory track bar that extended roughly through 3/4 of the girth of the bar. Made the jeeps steering feel unresponsive nearly immediately. Maybe it was a defective OEM part? Who knows.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I tested out several aftermarket track bars on my ProRock 60 but have for the most part ONLY run the same ol' factory one that came with my Jeep back in 2007. The ONLY other factory track bar I have seen break was the one on EVO1 and that was during the Vegas to Reno race. I guess I just don't wheel hard enough.

Assuming you have the relocation bracket on your axle, you may find it difficult to run something like a TeraFlex track bar as the diameter of it is quite big. Back when I was testing one out, I had to clearance the bracket a bit to make it work. I've tested out several different versions of the JKS track bar before too and by the 3 version, it didn't flex as much and I would assume it would work pretty well now too. I'm not too fond of any track bars that use polyurethane joints or heims as they tend to be noisy and get sloppy.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Well, I tested out several aftermarket track bars on my ProRock 60 but have for the most part ONLY run the same ol' factory one that came with my Jeep back in 2007. The ONLY other factory track bar I have seen break was the one on EVO1 and that was during the Vegas to Reno race. I guess I just don't wheel hard enough.

Assuming you have the relocation bracket on your axle, you may find it difficult to run something like a TeraFlex track bar as the diameter of it is quite big. Back when I was testing one out, I had to clearance the bracket a bit to make it work. I've tested out several different versions of the JKS track bar before too and by the 3 version, it didn't flex as much and I would assume it would work pretty well now too. I'm not too fond of any track bars that use polyurethane joints or heims as they tend to be noisy and get sloppy.

Thanks for the feedback. Im hoping the fact that most everyone hasn't broken one is a sign that this is a one-time anomaly. The dirt road course we were on was pretty "rutted up" from the prior week's rains so I dunno if I hit something hard or there was a defect/stress riser in the part already.

When I dropped off my rig at ORE, they told me that the TF Monster track bar I had would not work and we installed my factory bar. Never even gave the part a second thought until now.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I wouldn't give the TeraFlex track bar a second thought. I would NOT run it.

No worries or argument there. It's long gone. I meant I never gave the idea of an aftermarket track bar a second thought. I need to start rereading my posts before submitting.

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Still need for him to come over or we need to meet up at some point. In case you haven't watched the news , the weather hasn't been good in South East Texas (Houston especially). He has been dealing with more than his fair share of nature and a set of box end wrenches with broken part for internet pics is the last thing I'm going to big him for now

Top Bottom